• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stat nitpicking or not, those are some atrocious innings..
Imagine if we judged Sachin by his 3 worst innings: Top edging a wild pull shot vs Glen McGrath in the first over chasing 350

Choking again in the WC final 8 years

Scoring 100 in close to 150 balls in an ODI vs freaking Bangladesh in a vain attempt to get his century of centuries.

Clearly an overrated hack.I think we can do this very easily for most players.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
An early duck doesn't count as a 'worst innings'. It's just a bad one. Sucking up 80 balls to score 33 and then losing by 8 runs is an atrocious innings, and dispels the myth that Bevan timed all his innings to perfection.

Zinzan

An early duck doesn't count as a 'worst innings'. It's just a bad one. Sucking up 80 balls to score 33 and then losing by 8 runs is an atrocious innings, and dispels the myth that Bevan timed all his innings to perfection.
Who in the world ever said Bevan timed 'all' his 195 ODI innings to perfection.

Burgey

You reckon Ponting, averaging 42, is definitely better than Williamson, averaging 48?

Hard to split Dean Jones and Ross Taylor for me, both very similar batsmen in that they could both do it all.

Bevan's SR of 72 disqualifies him from any serious ATG ODI side.
This is terrible. Just revisionist stuff. Williamson is a fine player but how you could rate him ahead of Ponting as a player in any format is beyond me. Fmd Ponting won three WCs, two as captain and was imperious as you could imagine at three. Williamson (at this stage at least) isn't a patch on him as an ODI player. Let's get fair dinkum here mate.

Bevan played the role he had to play in a great ODI side and played it nearly to perfection.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
This would be my Oceania XI

1. Guptill
2. Gilchrist (wk)
3. Williamson
4. Ponting
5. Hussey
6. Taylor
7. C Cairns (5)
8. Warne (4)
9. Hadlee (3)
10. Bond (2)
11. McGrath (1)

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
This is terrible. Just revisionist stuff. Williamson is a fine player but how you could rate him ahead of Ponting as a player in any format is beyond me.
To be fair, I asked for a list of players who would definitely make it into an Oceania XI. Someone said Ponting - and I said I was surprised that he's a "definite" pick over a guy averaging 6 runs more than him. I didn't say I rated KW ahead of Ponting.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I love Guptill but unless he goes more Hayden than Hayden to end his international career, no way does he deserve to be in there.

Gob

International Coach
To be fair, I asked for a list of players who would definitely make it into an Oceania XI. Someone said Ponting - and I said I was surprised that he's a "definite" pick over a guy averaging 6 runs more than him. I didn't say I rated KW ahead of Ponting.
Ponting has 10k more runs for ffs

TheJediBrah

This would be my Oceania XI

1. Guptill
2. Gilchrist (wk)
3. Williamson
4. Ponting
5. Hussey
6. Taylor
7. C Cairns (5)
8. Warne (4)
9. Hadlee (3)
10. Bond (2)
11. McGrath (1)
You've got to be the most blindly parochial poster on the forum

I don't even mean that as bad thing but it's funny to see

edit: because you'll surely ask:

Far better than Guptill & Taylor: Hayden, Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Dean Jones, Bevan, Michael Clarke, Damien Martyn, Symonds, Steve Smith and probably about 30-40 guys players that just never got much of a chance at ODI cricket because they couldn't get in the team

I can't really fault your picks of Hadlee/Bond. There are half a dozen or more Aus bowlers who would be about as good but not definitively better.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Man given how many apparently ATG standard ODI players NZ have produced over Aus it's no wonder they've won so many major international trophies and were renowned as a great side for so long—

Oh wait.

Last edited:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
And Nathan Astle has 6K more runs than Glenn Turner, yet heaps of people have said already that Turner belongs over Astle in a NZ ATG ODI XI
Turner averaged bugger all against the top sides in ODI's. I remember watching him giving the emerging Sri Lankan's hell in the 80's. He made it look easy, but he was a seasoned pro against players just starting out in international cricket. Sri Lanka were the new kids on the block back then, held in the same regard as the Banga's went they started out. And of course there was that big 170 against mighty East Africa.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
haha yes
i mean Ross Taylor
Would you rather have Bevan? Let's do a comparison

Average: Bevan 53, Taylor 44
Strike Rate: Bevan 74, Taylor 82
Fours per 1,000 balls: Bevan 48, Taylor 67
Sixes per 1,000 balls: Bevan 2, Taylor 17 (this is not a typo)

Why would I want a guy who hits one boundary every 20 balls coming in at 6? I want someone upping the strike rate, and Taylor hits literally eight times as many sixes as Bevan.