• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

Flem274*

123/5
his front foot is pointing more down the pitch to straight balls rather than to cover like i remember. back leg still doesn't come over to cover off but a lot to like.

wish matt henry bowled that area in test cricket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
just saw some footage and the colour of the pitch :laugh: so good

So did it play similar to Lord's 14 or was it flatter?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Mendis is better than Kaushal imo.
Nah, Mendis is a filthy hack. Don't forget that if it weren't for a series of horrific drops, his output so far this series would've been 21 runs in 3 innings, and even with all those 2nd chances he's still only managed very mediocre returns. His innings today was pretty hilarious too, when he figured out after a couple of overs that there was no way his defensive technique was going to last and so he just basically decided "**** it, I'm gonna try smear some boundaries before I nick off again." SRL definitely better off with Kaushal.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, Mendis is a filthy hack. Don't forget that if it weren't for a series of horrific drops, his output so far this series would've been 21 runs in 3 innings, and even with all those 2nd chances he's still only managed very mediocre returns. His innings today was pretty hilarious too, when he figured out after a couple of overs that there was no way his defensive technique was going to last and so he just basically decided "**** it, I'm gonna try smear some boundaries before I nick off again." SRL definitely better off with Kaushal.
If Kaushal can't handle Ishant and Umesh on Sri Lankan pitches, then how was he going to handle Southee and Boult in NZ?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Kaushal may have gone through a patch of poor form, but he has a sound defensive technique and the ability to occupy the crease. Ultimately he may not make it but I'd definitely rate his chances higher than Mendis.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think Mendis is better than Jayasundera. So, if Kaushal has to come back, Jayasundera should be dropped.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Yeah but why is Sangakkara namechecking Thirimanne when he talks of players being left on the sidelines, that's what we really want to know.

Sangakkara questions exclusion of Thirimanne | Daily News
Because Thirrimanne is the guy who should be at #3 in the team, he has gone through an awful patch and being given the VC doesn't help any youngster in SL..IMO he DOES have the talent necessary. He has been scoring runs in the ODI format and I think this will build his confidence for tests in the future..for me our top 8 should be
Kaushal silva, Dimuth, Thirrimanne , Chandimal, Mathews , Mendis , Kusal Perera(If found to be clean from banned subs) ,Siriwardena I don't think Jayasundera has done enough to earn a place in the team yet..

91Jmay

International Coach
Because Thirrimanne is the guy who should be at #3 in the team, he has gone through an awful patch and being given the VC doesn't help any youngster in SL..IMO he DOES have the talent necessary. He has been scoring runs in the ODI format and I think this will build his confidence for tests in the future..for me our top 8 should be
Kaushal silva, Dimuth, Thirrimanne , Chandimal, Mathews , Mendis , Kusal Perera(If found to be clean from banned subs) ,Siriwardena I don't think Jayasundera has done enough to earn a place in the team yet..
Sri Lankan fans have literally been saying this for years.

'He has gone through an awful patch' implies that before that patch he was good, but he wasn't. He has always been an absolute travesty of a player, and belongs nowhere near a Test team.

Against teams who aren't Bangladesh he goes
21 matches 799 runs @ 21.02 HS 91

viriya

International Captain
Yea Sanga is overrating Thirimanne.. tbh Sanga should shut up about SL's batting issues considering how his premature retirement is the cause of it.. he acts like "oh Thiri can be as good as me soon cos he's so talented" and expects us to believe that BS. Meanwhile he destroys random T20 teams..

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Angelo should take the new ball with Lakmal imo. Pradeep's cross-seam balls really destroy the new ball.

Meridio

International Regular
Plenty of swing this morning. I would say we need to knock the tail over quickly, but it might actually suit us if SL can get through the first hour or so - it's possible the early start has lead to a bit of extra movement that might die out later in the morning. Obviously though we'd need to keep it tight and really dry up the runs, which is something we've struggled to do this test.