• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

vandem

International 12th Man
Yeah it'll feel like the end of an era in more ways then one, given that McCullum is the last survivor of Fleming's team
May still have 1-2 years of ODI and T20 to go. Will be interesting to see if he stands down from the short-form captaincy.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Grades for commentators

Russell Arnold A- (loses points for some blatant trolling)
Ian Smith B+ - put one foot in front of another
Craig Cumming F (his little segment was appalling)
Scott Styris D (has no clue and said predictable answers)
Rigor B Has a unique brand of humour
Harris A- (surprising insights into bowling strategies.)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Russell gains points for his trolling IMO
Exchange from Saturday

Rusell "So they tell me Dunedin has the world's steepest st"
Smith "Yes X street - very famous. If you like we can get you kitted up and you can have a race up it against Scott Styris".
Russell "I would rather race you I think Smithy"
Smith "Yes well. see you at the top".

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Grades for commentators

Russell Arnold A- (loses points for some blatant trolling)
Ian Smith B+ - put one foot in front of another
Craig Cumming F (his little segment was appalling)
Scott Styris D (has no clue and said predictable answers)
Rigor B Has a unique brand of humour
Harris A- (surprising insights into bowling strategies.)
Loosen up, Cumming your way was a classic.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Loosen up, Cumming your way was a classic.
It was diabolical and you know it.

At worst it was how to suck eggs.
At best it was some ill researched nonsense.

Cumming "Here is why the toe of the bat is called the toe of the bat. Because people used to tap their bat on their toe. Of course it could also be that it is just the bottom of the bat we never did get resolution on this during our research. "
"Now lets pan out to my research team" *** Camera Zooms to show three other camera operators waving their hands. How cheap a segment is that. They didn't even have professional writers. The camera operators wrote the segment.

Enough said.

It was a full blown disgrace to all things related to her majesty's game.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
To me Santner is Vettoriesque is more than a few ways. I reckon move him to 5 post McCullum and hope he ends up as good as Vettori was when he was our best batsman (although not batting at 8 like Vettori).

Howsie

International Captain
Santner will end up in the middle order eventually. But even I don't think it'll happen in just a couple of months though...

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah no way should Santner bat ahead of Watling Anderson or Neesham. He's ready to be a Test 7 but those guys are all a bit better.

BeeGee

International Captain
Yeah, fair point, but then again on the occasions when Southee, Boult and Wagner are all fit and firing we've never had too many issues taking 20 wickets. In that situation I just feel that Bracewell is kinda surplus to requirements.
Indeed.

In that situation Santner and Anderson should both be playing, really.

I basically just don't think comparing Santner to Anderson directly really accomplishes much. I think there are essentially three package deals to consider:

1. Anderson+Craig
2. Anderson+Santner
3. Santner+Bracewell

If Santner v Anderson is a relevant debate when it comes to selection then Craig v Bracewell weighs in on the importance of the answer to the original debate. Anderson's the best batsman/batting allrounder and Bracewell's the best bowler/bowling allrounder, but the balance wouldn't fit with them both together as there'd be no spinner.
I'll take door number 2 please. I'm a fan of the 3 seamers, 1 spinner, 1 all rounder, 1 keeper, 5 batsmen balance.

Santner is competing with Craig, Bracewell is competing with Wagner and Henry, Anderson is competing with Neesham and Bracewell. Bracewell can compete for 3rd seamer or all rounder.

BTW, my insistence on Anderson being in the starting 11 has nothing to do with the fact that I'm in love with him and I want to have his babies.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Henry Nicolls has been named in the ODI team apparently. He's the only uncapped player. Santner and Sodhi the spin options and no Neesham or Anderson. Somehow Ronchi is still there....

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
New Zealand: Brendon McCullum (captain), Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Henry Nicholls, Mitchell Santner, George Worker, Luke Ronchi, Doug Bracewell, Mitchell McClenaghan, Adam Milne, Ish Sodhi, Matt Henry (first two ODIs), Tim Southee (3rd ODI).

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Im a little bit nervous that our batting lineup is to top heavy like it was when ross was captain. With brendon going ballistic at the top we need someone at 5 who can control the innings if we are 50/3.
I would argue that person is BJ Watling, but it looks like Santner and Worker will have that role.