• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
*****, I don't buy your line of argument at all that people who are saying the pitch is poor don't like bowlers dominating. Sahara Cup in the 90s produced some of the best ODIs I have seen and they were low scoring bowler dominated ones. The issue with these two pitch is no matter how long one plays, one cannot truly be set. It's a lottery beyond a point. A lot of former players have blasted the pitch, it's not like we are coming from no where. Also, a pitch doesn't have to be dangerous or substandard to be a poor one.

The only argument I can come up for such pitches is that they add to the novelty factor of the game. They bring in some thing different. However, I don't like it in a test match, frankly, much less in 2 tests of a 4 match series, taking the major chunk of the series.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
*****, I don't buy your line of argument at all that people who are saying the pitch is poor don't like bowlers dominating. Sahara Cup in the 90s produced some of the best ODIs I have seen and they were low scoring bowler dominated ones. The issue with these two pitch is no matter how long one plays, one cannot truly be set. It's a lottery beyond a point. A lot of former players have blasted the pitch, it's not like we are coming from no where. Also, a pitch doesn't have to be dangerous or substandard to be a poor one.

The only argument I can come up for such pitches is that they add to the novelty factor of the game. They bring in some thing different. However, I don't like it in a test match, frankly, much less in 2 tests of a 4 match series, taking the major chunk of the series.
I disagree with 99% of Furball's posts, but just a few pages ago he wrote my mind when he said precisely why it's meaningless to call it a 'lottery'.

Would be brilliant if day 3 ended at 299/9
There's more chance of the match ending with the score of 99/10

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Let us say we have an English wicket with uneven or erratic bounce where Craig White takes truck loads of wickets, or one in South Africa where a wicket to wicket bowler does and India loses 3-0. I wonder how many people would take it sportingly.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ravinder Jadeja in India certainly is. Take him outside India and he won't be too good, just like Craig White won't be in India.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not having a go at anyone in particular because it seems to be ubiquitous, but why has 'wahhh' become a reasonable thing to say? It sounds really obnoxious.

HIs name is Joni..

Let us say we have an English wicket with uneven or erratic bounce where Craig White takes truck loads of wickets, or one in South Africa where a wicket to wicket bowler does and India loses 3-0. I wonder how many people would take it sportingly.

Lords 2000 Test Vs Windies.. Go check it out.... Vaughan can waaahhhh about that.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
My thoughts on the pitch:

Yeah it is a difficult pitch for batsmen. IT does skew the balance towards spinners enormously and batsmen have much lesser chance of surviving and scoring. It is not the best wicket or the ideal wicket. But guess what? Neither are flat tracks and the grass courts we get from time to time in England and New Zealand and RSA. There is no such thing as an ideal pitch and we need pitches like these to balance out conditions overall. I still think this pitch was even more unfairly tilted towards spinners than Mohali. The turn we saw on day 1 session 1 is something that should ideally happen, even on an INDIAN track, around session 3 day 2. But here is where it gets tricky. You produce a pitch like that, and most of the waah wonders posting here would fall over themselves calling it a "good" pitch. Team wins toss (God forbid India do that for the whineys on twitter) bats first, bosses the game. Scores 450 and then bowls out opposition for 180 and 160, which is what the opposition can manage even when batting decent to good under such conditions. How is that hypothetical scenario better or fairer than this game?

You give this track to the 2004 Aussies or 2010 Saffers and they would have eaten us for breakfast, win or lose toss.

For the record, this game is still within RSA;s grasps coz I feel Amla Faf, AB, Elgar, Duminy can easily score 300 between them even in these conditions. Just need time and luck to get themselves in, esp. Amla and Faf.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Ravinder Jadeja in India certainly is. Take him outside India and he won't be too good, just like Craig White won't be in India.
The entire Indian team in the 90s sucked outside India. Does that make every Indian pitch in the 90s a horrible one?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And I recall Craig White bowling really well along with Flintoff under Hussain when England toured India... His reverse swing was constantly worrying even Sachin.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@ GI Joe: No, those pitches were not like this. India made 500-600 runs at times in those, some thing no team can dream of here.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
@ GI Joe: No, those pitches were not like this. India made 500-600 runs at times in those, some thing no team can dream of here.
That should tell you how flawed your logic is. A pitch does not become a horrible one simply because player X happens to perform well on it.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
And I recall Craig White bowling really well along with Flintoff under Hussain when England toured India... His reverse swing was constantly worrying even Sachin.
Jadeja also performed well in one Test in South Africa. That makes that pitch undesirable for Test cricket #prattersthoughts

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
That should tell you how flawed your logic is. A pitch does not become a horrible one simply because player X happens to perform well on it.
I don't understand. My point is whether people would take sportingly such unsporting wickets in other countries. We start crying over pace in Durban, I wonder how we would react when we face an uneven wicket where not even home players can settle, let alone foreign ones.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't understand. My point is whether people would take sportingly such unsporting wickets in other countries. We start crying over pace in Durban, I wonder how we would react when we face an uneven wicket where not even home players can settle, let alone foreign ones.
That's a function of the players, not the pitch. The current crop of Indian batsmen aren't great players of spin. Plonk the 00s batting lineup here and they'd score 300. A pitch doesn't become bad just because the players are ****e.

Naach na aye, aangan tedha

Niall

International Coach
You and the rest of the Indian posters will know better than me obviously, but aren't Indians normally sporting enough when they encounter a green pitch outside Asia?

I don't recall any moaning about the pitches when India were getting smashed overseas over the last few years.

The anger was directed 100% at the batsmen as it should be IIRC.

Niall

International Coach
That's a function of the players, not the pitch. The current crop of Indian batsmen aren't great players of spin. Plonk the 00s batting lineup here and they'd score 300. A pitch doesn't become bad just because the players are ****e.

Naach na aye, aangan tedha
But aren't all Asians good against spin:ph34r:

Yeah lets not forget Ali owned this batting line up in England last year ffs.