• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a farce. At least with a greentop it is usually pretty good for batting on in the 2nd innings (and in the case of the Basin Reserve - a day one greentop becomes a road). This is incredibly difficult for the entire (2/3 days of the) test match.
How is it a good thing if the pitch becomes ar easier to bat on later? Here atleast the toss has been rendered less meaningful since it's difficult from ball 1.

Daemon

Reckon India should throw one of these pitches up in the T20 WC coming up. Maybe in an Aus v Eng match where we can laugh at the batting ineptness of both sides and witness a glorious Maxwell 6-fer.

OverratedSanity

Having said this, I am split regarding variety aspect though. As long as a pitch is not dangerous, cricket can be played on it. This pitch supports luck far more than skill. Even a skilled player is likely to get a ball to get him out for naught, say. However it does offer variety. That way, it's not bad at all.
Your logic doesn't hold up when you consider the fact that the best players of spin (Vijay, Pujara and AB) have got runs. These pitches have rewarded good batting. Bowling wise though, you can make the argument that even a half decent spinner can get wickets easily. It

Howe_zat

Audio File
Your logic doesn't hold up when you consider the fact that the best players of spin (Vijay, Pujara and AB) have got runs. These pitches have rewarded good batting. Bowling wise though, you can make the argument that even a half decent spinner can get wickets easily. It
The only thing that struck me as a red flag is when one of the world's top seam bowlers started bowling medium pace offies. I'll always be annoyed by a surface that takes a type of bowling out completely.

indiaholic

International Captain
The only thing that struck me as a red flag is when one of the world's top seam bowlers started bowling medium pace offies. I'll always be annoyed by a surface that takes a type of bowling out completely.
He has not been taken out though. Lateral movement will come in only when the ball gets old. And he did bowl an absolutely brilliant spell yesterday.

Daemon

Morkel and Rabada bowled beautifully yesterday with reward.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
When players know they can't last long, they will go for a hit out and make a quick 30-40 approach. Makes the dismissals look bad but they are very much because of the pitch.
On a bowling friendly pitch I agree and have often argued that you're going to get one with your name on it eventually so attack is the best form of defence, but you still have to attack properly - de Villiers could have looked at cutting the ball that got him and Amla should have not have attempted a sweep shot to a ball he was nowhere near.

The pitch is difficult. It's Test cricket though, part of the beauty of the game is testing yourself in difficult and unfamiliar conditions. The conditions being presented to the batsmen are neither impossible or unfair.

Case in point, those 2 balls from Duminy. Bowl **** on this wicket and there's easy runs.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
How is it a good thing if the pitch becomes ar easier to bat on later? Here atleast the toss has been rendered less meaningful since it's difficult from ball 1.
When India batted first was 90% sure they would win. Winning toss is big advantage on such a wicket as it deteriorates by the 4th dab a lot.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Vijay didn't get runs in the second inning. One can bat well and make runs. More often, one will bat well but get a ball which they can't do much about here.

Daemon

All this talk of conditions changing every innings as if the cricketing gods go in and sprinkle magic dust on the pitch once the players head back to the dressing room for the innings break.