• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
How is it over-rated? Since readmission unless i'm mistaken they have the best record of any non SC team in IND/PAK/SRI.
Doing well in the subcontinent doesn't automatically mean they are good against spin, they are not interrelated entirely. SA's 3 main bats are Amla, AB and Faf, Faf is hardly proven against spin, Amla was quality last time around but the pitches were a lot better to bat on and he was in prime form, AB I've never rated too highly against spin, but that's my personal opinion. So the point is that SA don't scare me as a team batting wise.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah many saffer players hadn't played a test in India before
Would many of them have played IPL?

Which I think presents its own problem, because a lot of players' experience of Indian conditions are pitches where you can just hack through the line at everything.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, Jadeja took wickets on all 4 matches against Australia, if the pitch has even a bit of turn AND Jadeja has SUPPORT (which he didn't have overseas), he's as useful a bowler as any. Because even a little bit of turn makes his natural variation that much more deadly, all of a sudden one turns and one doesn't and the batsmen just has no clue because the bowler isn't doing much different, so you can't actually "pick" him at all.
I agree that he's dangerous on pitches where anyone can turn it; accuracy is a major strength of his. This also makes him dangerous against impatient batsmen like the Aussies in that tour a couple of years ago. But if there's only a little bit of turn and there's no pressure he's not very good. He doesn't put enough revs on the ball to really buy that purchase from the pitch. He also does nothing in the flight or get any drift.

Ashwin is good. He puts enough revs on the ball to get it to turn on pitches where there's only a little turn. He also has drift and flight and unnatural variation.

I prefer pitches that reward Ashwin's skills more than those that reward Jadeja's skills.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
How is it over-rated? Since readmission unless i'm mistaken they have the best record of any non SC team in IND/PAK/SRI.
True but let's break down the numbers a little bit.

South Africa have lost 3 series in SC
03 in Pakistan
04 in India
06 in Sri Lanka

In the last 7-8, years, when they have had the best away record and the best SC record

1-0 win in Pakistan 07
1-1 draw in India 08
1-1 draw in India 10
0-0 draw in Pakistan 10 (UAE)
1-1 draw in Pakistan 13 (UAE)
1-0 win in Sri Lanka 14

That's an excellent record but we also need to consider that almost all of them are very short 2 match series. Not saying the South Africa would have lost the 3rd test in those series, but who knows. Maybe Sri Lanka could have bounced back in 14.

This is the first long series they are playing and it is going to be an excellent test of their mettle. And SC is not a monolithic one ground fits all. There is much variety within tracks in India and Sri Lanka and having that record is not necessarily a sign of spin ability.

There are 3 proven world class batsmen in South Africa now and one of them has never played in India before.
Going into a 4 match series with 3 world class batsmen is always going to be a problem, especially in difficult conditions and that's why you have the collapse in the first test. Having said that, I do believe that this team has seen a great deal of success over the last few years and has the ability to bounce back from low points. They got a pounding in Australia in 2012 in the first two games before coming back to decimate Australia. So I expect them to fight back.

South Africa

India

Nothing much to say, prepared a turning pitch to support their strengths like they have done many times before & won. Would be surprised if Dhawan is not dropped however & Saha looks way out of place @ # 6 at test level.
Ok can I ask you what you think about the first Gabba test which for almost 4 days now is one of the most one sided test matches I have ever seen in my life? Among two pretty decent test sides?

Also I would love to know your thoughts about these two games below

1st Test: Australia v Pakistan at Perth, Dec 16-19, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

4th Investec Test: England v Australia at Nottingham, Aug 6-8, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Except the tradition of India producing bunsens to nullify the likes of Steyn of course. You're ok with that tradition I see. It never gets old seeing jingoists blow raspberries at the game's traditions though. Not a bit. There is only one reason you do it: Your are humiliated by your team's many historical embarrassments. That is the sole unedifying reason. You aren't cricket's version of a romantic Cuban revolutionary stickin' it to the man and his traditions. You offer nothing better as an alternative and love those "traditions" that satisfy your crude nationalism anyway.

Really? Not even at Wankhede ...? So pitches sometimes turn into roads. Well duh. Sometimes they turn into ball tearers when every possible result is at risk on the last day.

I wasn't making a point about the inexact art of pitch preparation. All cricket fans understand the desirability of producing a pitch catering for all the game's skills. Even closet traditionalists like Shri I'd guess. When you prepare a pitch that seams early in the expectation to break up eventually you can honestly say you've made an attempt to represent all the game's skills with an opportunity and a challenge. Can you say that when you produce a bunsen from ball one? The pace men were passengers in this game as even the chest beaters here acknowledge when they break from their internet rioting over their team's win or justifying the dubious intent obtaining it.

So it rather looks like doctoring when the pitch you prepare just happens to nullify the skill your opponent most relies. A pitch made for a team not for the game's skills. It looks like it because it is. So no more justifications or counter points to those I never raised thank you jingoists and apologists! Just reflect, understand, admit and stfu.
Ok I have a serious problem with jingoists and utter nationalists as well. And I agree with you in principle because jingoists want one set of rules to suit them and another set of rules for everyone else.

However, I don't believe that this particular match fits that criteria. I don't believe that India won because they produced a 'doctored' pitch. Mohali is one of my favourite test grounds because it produces challenging and riveting cricket. South Africa collapsed not because of the pitch but because they don't have a very good batting line up. Their batting has always been a tad weaker than their bowling, but for most part their bowling has made up for it. Even in this game their bowling gave them the advantage on Day 1, and then after having faltered it with their batting, their bowling again brought them back into the game, and they still faltered.

Steyn barely bowled 9 overs in this game and was injured for most part. I don't think it's fair to conclude that the pitch was created to nullify him. Steyn has reached the level of those great bowlers like Wasim who can make the pitch redundant.

I think the reason we saw these low scores has less to do with the pitch, more to do with the fact that neither side were particularly good in adapting and responding to the conditions. It was difficult to bat on, and neither of the two sides had faced such conditions in their recent past. One side adapted a bit better and won.

Ultimately if Vijay and Pujara can get runs and more celebrated players like Amla and God fail, you have to call a spade and spade and say Amla and (I hope I don't get charged for blasphemy for this) and ABD just weren't good enough.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I agree that he's dangerous on pitches where anyone can turn it; accuracy is a major strength of his. This also makes him dangerous against impatient batsmen like the Aussies in that tour a couple of years ago. But if there's only a little bit of turn and there's no pressure he's not very good. He doesn't put enough revs on the ball to really buy that purchase from the pitch. He also does nothing in the flight or get any drift.

Ashwin is good. He puts enough revs on the ball to get it to turn on pitches where there's only a little turn. He also has drift and flight and unnatural variation.

I prefer pitches that reward Ashwin's skills more than those that reward Jadeja's skills.
While I generally agree with your assessment, it must be said Jadeja is a lot better than how he bowled in Aus and Eng. Vintage Jadeja is very similar to Vettori in MO - varies flight, length and pace, slips in the arm ball to take a wicket. Just before being dropped he had been overbowled across all 3 formats and IPL, and was reduced to bowling left arm darts. He had lost all the nuance that made him break into the Indian side to begin with.

The way he bowled in this Test match is a lot closer to his best. Even on unhelpful tracks, he's a very good holding bowler. He's definitely a Test-standard spinner; I rate him much higher than Moeen, Rashid, Craig, etc.

the big bambino

International Captain
No its "wahhhh?" not "waahhhtt?"

I understood what you said. Its just an unnecessarily angry wahhh.
I was reacting to the ? I mean I thought you were asking a question. As for angry well maybe in keeping with some ott justifications I've been reading

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
While I generally agree with your assessment, it must be said Jadeja is a lot better than how he bowled in Aus and Eng. Vintage Jadeja is very similar to Vettori in MO - varies flight, length and pace, slips in the arm ball to take a wicket. Just before being dropped he had been overbowled across all 3 formats and IPL, and was reduced to bowling left arm darts. He had lost all the nuance that made him break into the Indian side to begin with.

The way he bowled in this Test match is a lot closer to his best. Even on unhelpful tracks, he's a very good holding bowler. He's definitely a Test-standard spinner; I rate him much higher than Moeen, Rashid, Craig, etc.
That may be true, and I admit to not having watched all of his matches.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The quality batsmen showed that you can score runs, the pitch was fine, there was reverse for the pacers and so the pacers were hardly nullified. India aren't as good against spin as they were previously, and SA's success against spin is overrated IMO, not to mention half their batsmen are new so it's not surprising they don't know how to deal with it.

Quality spinners vs average batsmen against spin = low scoring tests in India.

Why talk sense to people who can just have a whinge on the basis of nothing but their biased and stupid views of what a "good pitch" is?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Yeah, absolutely and I hate pitches where Steyn can do well but not Philander, for similar reasons. But I have seen tests go longer on far worser pitches than this one simply because batsmen played better or bowlers bowled worse. At the end of the day, wherever you go in India, with the dry conditions that are prevalent most of the time, you will see pitches that are a lot more dusty and prone to breaking up than countries which have a longer winter period. Pitches that help fast bowlers and "seamers" across 5 days are good for the game but if that happens with a spinner, suddenly it is not good cricket. Of course it is not, coz these set of batsmen are no good at playing it. tbb can cry all he wants but the fact is teams like Australia, Windies and now RSA have simply not been good enough in cricket skills required to compete in such conditions and its fair enough they get found out on it, just like we were when we had to play on greentops.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA have definitely been way better than Australia and West Indies and competed very well. Thought the margin flattered us a bit... the game was as tight as it gets until the 4th innings. Let's not pretend we couldn't easily have lost this.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, I should have added "in this test" when I said RSA in my previous post. I still think they will do a lot better and am worried sick of AB pulling out a God knock or five in this series. :( And our batsmen suck against good spin too, so not off the realms of possibility that we get spun out by Tahir, Harmer, Duminy and Elgar in one or more of the remaining tests. Bangalore esp. has been a bit of a horror venue for us in tests right? I remember Australia and Pak beating us there.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I should have added "in this test" when I said RSA in my previous post. I still think they will do a lot better and am worried sick of AB pulling out a God knock or five in this series. :( And our batsmen suck against good spin too, so not off the realms of possibility that we get spun out by Tahir, Harmer, Duminy and Elgar in one or more of the remaining tests. Bangalore esp. has been a bit of a horror venue for us in tests right? I remember Australia and Pak beating us there.
That was like 10 years ago lol. Bangalore hasn't been the best venue but we did beat Aus here last time around. Having said that Bangalore will provide SA with a better chance to win than mohali did. Bangalore is a true batting wicket so if SA's pacers get back to full fitness and fire we can have a contest on hand. Backing Kohli and Rahane to score big as well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That was like 10 years ago lol. Bangalore hasn't been the best venue but we did beat Aus here last time around. Having said that Bangalore will provide SA with a better chance to win than mohali did. Bangalore is a true batting wicket so if SA's pacers get back to full fitness and fire we can have a contest on hand. Backing Kohli and Rahane to score big as well.

Yeah, for some reason I do not recall the more recent matches from Bangalore, lol. Those horror defeats are always there in memory though. :(

I do think Bangalore helps opposition with good fast bowlers who can get reverse, coz if I remember right, the square, and the ground itself, are very hard and the ball does get scuffed up fast. It provides bounce too, so it helps both seamers and spinners on that front. Even if it turns from day 1, I think the RSA pacers will be in the game all the time, esp. Steyn if he is fit. I do expect this to be the best chance for RSA on this tour.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, for some reason I do not recall the more recent matches from Bangalore, lol. Those horror defeats are always there in memory though. :(

I do think Bangalore helps opposition with good fast bowlers who can get reverse, coz if I remember right, the square, and the ground itself, are very hard and the ball does get scuffed up fast. It provides bounce too, so it helps both seamers and spinners on that front. Even if it turns from day 1, I think the RSA pacers will be in the game all the time, esp. Steyn if he is fit. I do expect this to be the best chance for RSA on this tour.
Yeah Bangalore is more for the pacers, but if you are good enough you can get big scores as well. Southee got 7 last time around although we managed to beat NZ still. Nagpur will be even stevens as well I reckon, Delhi is India's game to take as long as our batsmen apply themselves against spin.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the big bambinwahhh

Hendrix is right imo, Jadeja isn't much when it's not turning. Very accurate, but doesn't turn it, no drift, no beating batsmen in flight. He basically relies on angles and his accuracy. His arm ball isn't great either because he pushes it through much quicker and it's easy to pick up compared to what Ojha's or Swann's used to be. Steady bowler at best.

Definitely a better bowler than Craig and the rest like ***** mentioned though.

cnerd123

likes this
Like if we take Jadeja on overseas tours and he bowls as well as he can, I'm expecting an average of 30-35 and a economy below 3. Which is pretty solid for a holding bowler/second spinner. If he can contribute some runs too then brilliant.

Shri

Mr. Glass
There is only one reason you do it: Your are humiliated by your team's many historical embarrassments.
No moron. I am a spin bowler in real life. **** off. And there are a whole list of your points which are laughably easy to defeat so I am not going to bother. #'canethings

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
True but let's break down the numbers a little bit.

South Africa have lost 3 series in SC
03 in Pakistan
04 in India
06 in Sri Lanka

In the last 7-8, years, when they have had the best away record and the best SC record

1-0 win in Pakistan 07
1-1 draw in India 08
1-1 draw in India 10
0-0 draw in Pakistan 10 (UAE)
1-1 draw in Pakistan 13 (UAE)
1-0 win in Sri Lanka 14

That's an excellent record but we also need to consider that almost all of them are very short 2 match series. Not saying the South Africa would have lost the 3rd test in those series, but who knows. Maybe Sri Lanka could have bounced back in 14.

This is the first long series they are playing and it is going to be an excellent test of their mettle. And SC is not a monolithic one ground fits all. There is much variety within tracks in India and Sri Lanka and having that record is not necessarily a sign of spin ability.

There are 3 proven world class batsmen in South Africa now and one of them has never played in India before.
Going into a 4 match series with 3 world class batsmen is always going to be a problem, especially in difficult conditions and that's why you have the collapse in the first test. Having said that, I do believe that this team has seen a great deal of success over the last few years and has the ability to bounce back from low points. They got a pounding in Australia in 2012 in the first two games before coming back to decimate Australia. So I expect them to fight back.
Those 3 series defeats came when SA were going through their bad mid 2000s phase during Smith's early days as captain. When Smith got it right & later Amla with the win in SRI last year - their record is very solid.

You go back to the 90s under Wessels & most Cronje when the team was strong - their only lost was in India 96/97. Otherwise they won in IND 2000, won in PAK 97/98 (3 tests), won in SRI 93 (3 tests), drew 1-1 in 2000. Good SA teams since readmission either win or find ways to draw series in IND/PAK/SRI.

Of course right now with Kallis/Smith around compared to recent tours to IND in 08 & 10 - some vulnerability to playing spin exists right now, which is why i mentioned my surprise at why they went in with one batter short in Mohali.

Ok can I ask you what you think about the first Gabba test which for almost 4 days now is one of the most one sided test matches I have ever seen in my life? Among two pretty decent test sides?

Also I would love to know your thoughts about these two games below

1st Test: Australia v Pakistan at Perth, Dec 16-19, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

4th Investec Test: England v Australia at Nottingham, Aug 6-8, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
AUS have not lost at Brisbane since 1988, they don't call it the "Gabbatroir" for nothing. Many teams in last 25 years have been made to look second rate. Nothing too overly deep to analyze IMO.

Only thing I'd say about Brisbane is that may starting from 2010 Ashes test during that Cook/Trott, a few tests have a periods like in this one where you have had some periods where it has played like road and bowlers didn't seem to have hope. SA test 2012 also - but again not that significant.

Memory of Perth 04 is a bit fuzzy. Thing's that flashing across my mind now are:

- That McGrath haul was probably just as lethal as his 8/38 vs ENG @ Lords 97 now that i recall some of it.It wasn't in a Ashes contest or a high profile series ATT, so people have tended to overlook it

- Akhtar starting to give Hayden trouble with inswingers seriously in that series - before England worked him over in Ashes 05

- That Ashes test was just another example of how bad AUS batsmen has become vs playing swing since about 2009 - not the first time they were routed embarrassingly like that in recent years. The surprising thing for me & I guess for most AUS fans/well wishes is that you thought the problem was eradicated after the developments team was showing under Clarke since the 2013/14 Ashes win.