• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia 2015

smash84

The Tiger King
so this starts on the 5th along with the india vs sa contests.

Some mouth watering test series lined up this winter

First pak vs eng, and now these

Howe_zat

Audio File
Imagine if the dominating mature Kiwis lose this series. It would be unthinkable to be defeated by a team where only 4 Aussies would make a combined XI (Warner smith Lyon and a quick)
Only if you severely underrate Australia at home.

Been tradition for a few years now to think of Australia as weak after a ****ty series away before they remind people they're a different class at home.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Only if you severely underrate Australia at home.

Been tradition for a few years now to think of Australia as weak after a ****ty series away before they remind people they're a different class at home.
Wait NUFAN was being serious? Pretty sure every Kiwi read that as condescension.

#perennial underdog

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah he was being cheeky but I actually think that's the answer to why you would pick more kiwis in a combined XI, but Australia are still favourites for this series.

The players who get left out for aus (Voges, Starc, Lyon, Marsh) should do fine in Australia. The NZers who get left out (Guptill, Neesham, Henry, Craig) won't.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hazlewood will wreck us I think. Will destroy Williamson.
Yeah I think this is probably the reason he's been picked over Siddle.

From a selection process standpoint it makes almost no sense to drop Haze for the fifth Test in England and then recall him one Test later for the same player he was dropped for, particularly given how well Siddle bowled, but I do think they've made the right call here. Just more likely to win with Haze playing IMO, and that should really be the first and last rule of selection.

cnerd123

likes this
I feel like I'm missing something...I don't see what Haze has that will trouble Williamson more than Siddle? Especially going off his bowling in the Ashes.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand's batting line up is still a tad weaker against Australian's pace attack in these conditions and that is what makes Australia favourites for me.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
AWTA. The NZ lineup have improved a lot since 2012-13 but these are probably the conditions least to their liking. Or, to look at it the other way, doing well here will cap off a period of great improvement since 2012-13 where they were weak just about everywhere.

Hazlewood vs Siddle is a good conundrum to have. On the basis of the Oval test Siddle looked like he could play the Ryan Harris role going forward. But Haze's stats incl. ER are extremely good and he ensures there will be no respite from the two Mitches. His inclusion makes this the scariest attack NZ's batsmen will have faced since Steyn & co in 2012-13.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I feel like I'm missing something...I don't see what Haze has that will trouble Williamson more than Siddle? Especially going off his bowling in the Ashes.
Hazlewood is the exact type of bowler to trouble Williamson. Bounce off a length with a bit of shape troubles most batsmen, but it's Williamson's weakest suit at this point. The Broads, Morkels and Finns have been the ones to give him the most problems in the past.

Siddle's nagging, probing line is of course also a threat, but it's the bounce of Hazlewood that has me most worried.

Johnson's type of bounce is difficult too, but Hazlewood's is the type that sorta jumps off a length when Williamson's either defending or looking to force off the back foot. It's a chink in his armour. He may rectify it but I would say that Aussie conditions against a bowler like Hazlewood are where he's least likely to score runs.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand's batting line up is still a tad weaker against Australian's pace attack in these conditions and that is what makes Australia favourites for me.
Disagree. Australian batting line up will be more prone to collapse to NZ bowling than NZ batting line up collapsing to Australian bowling line up

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Disagree. Australian batting line up will be more prone to collapse to NZ bowling than NZ batting line up collapsing to Australian bowling line up
Both sides are just as prone IMO but NZ are more likely to recover from a collapse than Australia; or at least, recover better - even if Australia's tail is damn good.