• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia 2015

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Perhaps McCullum was trying to get under Smith's skin with a view to the impending series. He's called him immature, and as a captain he is just a baby compared to where McCullums at. I remember Flemings very targeted sledge of a young captain in Graeme Smith which was out of character for Fleming, but very much a plan. And you'd have to say it worked. You hunt for an oppositions weak spots and a McCullum / Smith tension has now been manufactured, and may play out further during the series.
Interesting if that's the case. While I am pretty happy that McCullum's NZ has seemingly got the world's attention thanks to their (cough) brand of cricket, and it is a refreshing contrast to the David Warner/Brad Haddin way, you don't want your team turning into a bunch of boy scouts either. Hypocritical maybe, but nice to imagine the man has shades of grey. (Also, I wonder if the Aussies recall Andrew Symond's "piece of ****" jibe at McCullum from 2009 and are a little bemused at the then-and-now).

Flem274*

123/5
Quick off topic comment - for all the whinging about not being the feature etc etc pretty cool that we'll have three tests on three very different grounds. Best thing about touring Australia other than watching a visiting side try to prove themselves against Australia on home turf, a situation that can even see weaker Australian sides achieve impressive things and their great sides quite a bit...

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
David Warner is an idiot, but at least he didn't wait like 3 years after being offered to participate in match fixing before reporting it to anyone, like Mr Good Guy. Pretty mature on his part.....

Spikey

David Warner is an idiot, but at least he didn't wait like 3 years after being offered to participate in match fixing before reporting it to anyone, like Mr Good Guy. Pretty mature on his part.....
This is actually a somewhat serious thought of mine: **** him for calling TPC immature for correcting appealing for something while he ****ing had that hanging over him. WAC

Niall

International Coach
Perhaps McCullum was trying to get under Smith's skin with a view to the impending series. He's called him immature, and as a captain he is just a baby compared to where McCullums at. I remember Flemings very targeted sledge of a young captain in Graeme Smith which was out of character for Fleming, but very much a plan. And you'd have to say it worked. You hunt for an oppositions weak spots and a McCullum / Smith tension has now been manufactured, and may play out further during the series.

He is pretty close to Morgan and from all accounts pally with a few other English batsmen. The English media adored him this Summer so maybe he wants to associate himself with the nation that is dominating erm Snooker?:)

Moss

David Warner is an idiot, but at least he didn't wait like 3 years after being offered to participate in match fixing before reporting it to anyone, like Mr Good Guy
How do we know for sure? :p

nevermind

U19 Debutant
Let's be honest, someone needed to call out McCullum.

And if we could have hoped for anyone to do it, it would have been David Warner.

These are all good things people. The Test series just got a hell of a lot better (not Ashes level better ofc).

Moss

Let's be honest, someone needed to call out McCullum.

And if we could have hoped for anyone to do it, it would have been David Warner.

These are all good things people. The Test series just got a hell of a lot better (not Ashes level better ofc).
I do agree the whole sporting-spirit routine loses a lot of sheen when you start expecting others to "do what I would've done". McCullum writing that piece did remind me of Gilchrist telling off at least one batsman (Craig McMillan I think) for not walking, after having nicked it and being given not-out. Notwithstanding the possibility both were simply wind-ups..

TheJediBrah

McCullum may be a **** and not overly intelligent, but there's no way he's dumb enough to actually believe the **** he's been saying, I doubt many people are.

Hence it's an obvious ploy, and one so obvious that only an individual as specifically wired as David Warner would respond seriously IMO

Smith and the rest of the sensible Aus blokes would probably just be laughing about it behind closed doors. Conversely it's probably more likely that Warner's response is as tactical as McCullum's initial comments. Either way it's exhaustingly pointless and unlikely to wind anyone up except ignorant fans. Which is at least something I guess. And it gives the journalists something to write about.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum may be a **** and not overly intelligent, but there's no way he's dumb enough to actually believe the **** he's been saying, I doubt many people are.

Hence it's an obvious ploy, and one so obvious that only an individual as specifically wired as David Warner would respond seriously IMO

Smith and the rest of the sensible Aus blokes would probably just be laughing about it behind closed doors. Conversely it's probably more likely that Warner's response is as tactical as McCullum's initial comments. Either way it's exhaustingly pointless and unlikely to wind anyone up except ignorant fans. Which is at least something I guess. And it gives the journalists something to write about.
gossip girl plot twist

Spark

Global Moderator
Warner is a moron, but he's absolutely right that BMac was full of **** to call Smith out on that incident.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Brendon McCullum gets under Aussies' skin as 'immature' jibe flies back | Stuff.co.nz

If it was Brendon McCullum's original intention, it certainly worked.

The New Zealand captain has got under the skin of Australia's two key batsmen, Steve Smith and David Warner, on the eve of the test cricket series.

It certainly added some spice to a low-key buildup to Thursday's first test in Brisbane and ensured some lingering tension between the sides after some testy sendoffs of New Zealand batsmen in the World Cup final in March.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Imagine if the dominating mature Kiwis lose this series. It would be unthinkable to be defeated by a team where only 4 Aussies would make a combined XI (Warner smith Lyon and a quick)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pre-series combined XI

gogogo

Warner
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Smith
McCullum (*)
Watling (+)
Johnson
Starc
Lyon
Boult

6/5 to NZ on my count. A bit of a shame that there aren't any solid left arm quick options.