• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
"I wish cricket had less fans" is a weird sentiment tstl. How else does cricket remain commercially viable and continue being played to the extent it is, if people don't care about it?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah I agree with the point. I'll try to explain in another way - there are less fans of tennis in US say, compared to for Basketball. A tennis fan can enjoy his sport with less hysteria to deal with as a result.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
haha so elitist. I think you need the casual fans. Otherwise who is going to come up with great one-liners like "hey is that Rahul Dravid's son?" when KL Rahul comes out to bat

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah the casual fans, especially the ones in SC who pack the grounds for a T20 or ODI match, despite being annoying are absolutely essential for the game. We don't have fans like that in Australia and England, and that's why you hardly have anyone caring much (other than cricket aficionados) caring much when it's not the Ashes... the World Cup in Australia this year would have been a major flop without the diaspora fans.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah and not every casual fan is that bad. Usually they are a lot of fun to be with as long as you don't take them too seriously. I think the ones Pratters is talking about are the ones who try and pretend to be serious fans when they are just casual fans. They are a rough lot to be around during games. Almost every game I have been to in Chennai, and its a lot, you find people like that.

indiaholic

International Captain
Nothing wrong with being a casual fan. Everybody doesn't have the time and energy to follow a sport closely. The problematic bunch are the ones who just follow a particular team and treat it as a way to channel their nationalism/regionalism. It would be wrong to call them casuals as they know, remember and are pretty knowledgeable about random CSK games but are utterly ignorant of the game as a whole.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nothing wrong with being a casual fan. Everybody doesn't have the time and energy to follow a sport closely. The problematic bunch are the ones who just follow a particular team and treat it as a way to channel their nationalism/regionalism. It would be wrong to call them casuals as they know, remember and are pretty knowledgeable about random CSK games but are utterly ignorant of the game as a whole.
Am I misreading this, or did you just go from describing casual fans generally to specifically describing Chennai Super King fans? :laugh:

cnerd123

likes this
Am I misreading this, or did you just go from describing casual fans generally to specifically describing Chennai Super King fans? :laugh:
**** causal fans, but **** casual CSK fans in particular. Half of them aren't even from Chennai, ****s.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think he started making a general point but then when he started thinking about it, CSK fans were what he was imagining and so he accidentally got specific when he elaborated. Which means Jono is right and it's funny.

Ahh the conversations we have here at CW...

Marius

International Debutant
So what should be the starting XIs for India and South Africa for the first test? :p
I think South Africa's XI is fairly settled. Probably the only questions are about who will be the spinner, and whether it's time to give Rabada a debut.

I think they should stick with Philander and Harmer for now.

My XI would be:

Elgar
Van Zyl
Du Plessis
Amla
De Villiers
Duminy
Vilas
Philander
Harmer
Steyn
Morkel