• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest keeper batsman - Gilchrist or Sangakkara?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yeah but he keeps arguing with everything and everyone. hall of fame member or not, some things are not tolerable m8
I didn't ask to be a hall of member based on whatever criteria CW decides to bestow that on people mind you.

Also what else are you suppose to do on a "cricket chat" forum other than argue/discuss everything cricket with everyone?

As long as i've known cricketweb.net when you click on the chatforum link it still stays : "Let's talk Cricket! Tests, ODI, Domestic, Squad Selections and everything you can think to say about cricket."

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I didn't ask to be a hall of member based on whatever criteria CW decides to bestow that on people mind you.

Also what else are you suppose to do on a "cricket chat" forum other than argue/discuss everything cricket with everyone?

As long as i've known cricketweb.net when you click on the chatforum link it still stays : "Let's talk Cricket! Tests, ODI, Domestic, Squad Selections and everything you can think to say about cricket."
It doesn't mean post literally everything you can think of ffs.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Is this really aussie back posting or someone else using the same account? The coherent and grammatically correct use of the English language, including capital letters and punctuation, is very suspicious.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
How about keeping to a wrist spinning off break bowler and a set of mystery bowlers who spin it both ways?
My point is more that when you keep to a legspinner the ball is obscured by the batsman a lot whereas when keeping to an offie you (usually) see the ball the whole way down.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For an ENG ATXI, i believe Stewart's extra batting ability would be more useful in the ENG ATXI top order, especially considering many of ENG greatest bowlers bowlers were not the best batters so the ENG ATXI 7-11 has a potential long tail look.
So you'll ignore the fact that when he kept, Stewart's batting was mediocre then?

Throw in his mediocre wicket-keeping skills and he should be nowhere near an English ATG side

Victor Ian

International Coach
I don't get why there is a debate on this at all. Bradman was the best ever keeper/batsman. If Bradman dropped down the order to bat at 7 like Gilly, and like Knott, when he was supposedly good, and like Sangakara, who would have been awesome if he did, even though he didn't, then Bradman would have averaged 160, which he did. Now let's just say Knott was a 50 runs better wicket keeper than Bradman, well, turd!... He is still a long way short of being up to scratch. And Gilly, if he was a 30 runs better keeper than Bradman, further behind. And Sangakara is so far behind because he is. When he batted at 3 like Bradman and didn't glove up he was a worse player. And when he batted and gloved up he was a much worse batsman, and had Bradman been given the gloves he would have been awesome. So clearly, even though Bradman never kept that is only because he was doing the team thing, but he could have had he wanted to, because he caught balls rebounding off a corregated water tank. So, It's Bradman, because also, he would have been keeping to Grimmet and Bill Oreiily and Miller and Lindwall. That is just an awesome effort. Aussie, you just can't debate this. It is beyond logic.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So you'll ignore the fact that when he kept, Stewart's batting was mediocre then?

Throw in his mediocre wicket-keeping skills and he should be nowhere near an English ATG side
Wow ha, amazing that you can still state this about Stewart when I clearly remember myself, Richard and other posters rubbishing this theory over years on CW.

When England in the 1990s finally decided to stop rotating between Stewart and Russell for the keeper spot after the 1996 home series vs Pakistan, although at times it could be argued England didn't have a choice especially given a lack of an all-rounder - Stewart averaged 37.64 with the bat when he got a better extended run in the role as a versatile batsman + keeper from ZIM 96 - SA 2003 retirement.

There was nothing mediocre about his batting then - All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

So are you telling me when Stewart was keeping in the last days of his career in the aforementioned period you had issue with the England selectors playing him because in your opinion his keeping skills were "mediocre" & wanted him dropped?

Also its a grave insult to insult to his keeping skills to throw that slag at him. When he was keeping in ENGs famous away series victories in PAK/SRI 2001 to Giles/Croft on those turning pitches (one of the few times he keeping technique was tested in such a scenario) he passed with flying colours.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I don't get why there is a debate on this at all. Bradman was the best ever keeper/batsman. If Bradman dropped down the order to bat at 7 like Gilly, and like Knott, when he was supposedly good, and like Sangakara, who would have been awesome if he did, even though he didn't, then Bradman would have averaged 160, which he did. Now let's just say Knott was a 50 runs better wicket keeper than Bradman, well, turd!... He is still a long way short of being up to scratch. And Gilly, if he was a 30 runs better keeper than Bradman, further behind. And Sangakara is so far behind because he is. When he batted at 3 like Bradman and didn't glove up he was a worse player. And when he batted and gloved up he was a much worse batsman, and had Bradman been given the gloves he would have been awesome. So clearly, even though Bradman never kept that is only because he was doing the team thing, but he could have had he wanted to, because he caught balls rebounding off a corregated water tank. So, It's Bradman, because also, he would have been keeping to Grimmet and Bill Oreiily and Miller and Lindwall. That is just an awesome effort. Aussie, you just can't debate this. It is beyond logic.
This wild synopsis you stated here about Bradman is whats beyond logic, since it has nothing to do with the example I gave in the opening thread about Gilly/Sanga.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Wow ha, amazing that you can still state this about Stewart when I clearly remember myself, Richard and other posters rubbishing this theory years on CW.
OMG you use to agree with Richard didn't you?

This all makes so much sense now hahahahahah

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
OMG you use to agree with Richard didn't you?

This all makes so much sense now hahahahahah
I had my disagreements with him, but he was certainly one of the best cricket analyst people I have ever spoken to regarding the sport outside of actual payed journalist, whether people on CW wish to give him his due props or not.

cnerd123

likes this
I had my disagreements with him, but he was certainly one of the best cricket analyst people I have ever spoken to regarding the sport outside of actual payed journalist, whether people on CW wish to give him his due props or not.
:lol:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard was a piss poor analyst with crackpot theories.
Totally disagree, Richard was one of the best in the CW forum history IMO alongside SJS, tooextracool, FaaipDeOaid (spell check), C_C, TopCat, MisterWright, JBH001, Swervy, JBMAC, archie_mac, Neville Cardus, Tim (new zealand I think) namely etc..

Last edited: