• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2015-16

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
£105m since January 2013. Compare that to £-35m in the four years before that. Per transfermarkt Arsenal FC - All transfers - Transfermarkt

Arsenal biggest ever summer spending was last summer but no one seemed to really notice. Bought five players for over £10m in total over last season. United have kind of shattered expectations of what you do when you spend big I guess.

As far as this summer I think we should definitely try and sign a proper regista/deep lying playmaker. Converting Cazorla is a ****ing gamble. With strikers it's about playing the waiting game and see what happens.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They tended to buy quite a lot of players at around 10 mil though, this is how I remember it at least.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For some reason people always seem to get confused between money in the bank and what Arsenal's transfer budget is.
Yeah but statements like that put pressure on Wenger, particularly if things go slightly wrong for a few weeks, we had the money why didn't he buy so and so.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but statements like that put pressure on Wenger, particularly if things go slightly wrong for a few weeks, we had the money why didn't he buy so and so.
All they said was that they can afford top players and if they become available they'd pounce. I don't see why any reasonable fan would read that and get annoyed if the window doesn't turn out how they want it to.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
All they said was that they can afford top players and if they become available they'd pounce. I don't see why any reasonable fan would read that and get annoyed if the window doesn't turn out how they want it to.
Yeah, that doesn't bother me, what does bother me is announcing to the world that you've got hundreds of millions in the bank. That's just stupid.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway good Özil and Chamberlain scored today. Wenger has been saying we need to get more goals from the non forwards and those two are probably the two most in need of improving in that regard.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, that doesn't bother me, what does bother me is announcing to the world that you've got hundreds of millions in the bank. That's just stupid.
Is this because of the whole "if they know you're rich they'll put the price up" thing that's accepted by everyone in football and no one in economics.

Even if it did matter, Arsenal's accounts are public. Everyone already knows how much money they have.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
hmmm. Why not buy a better striker?
Because there aren't that many, and most of those that are already play for top clubs. Why do people struggle with this?

I mean yeah, we'd all love to sign Benzema or Lewandowski, but why would they want to join and why would their clubs sell?

dogwalker

U19 Captain
Loads of better strikers than Giroud though. You need someone to kick the ball into the goal, not someone who is "good at link up play and bringing others into the game". With Cazorla, Ozil, Sanchez you have an immense 3 behind a striker dishing up chances on a platter. Someone like an Ian Wright would be perfect. Not very good, but can kick the ball in the net.

dogwalker

U19 Captain
I see all the Man Utd fans are doing the "I never liked her anyway" about di Maria.

And on other Manyoo related matters, why did the hierarchy there hire someone as bad as van Gaal? Why would you employ someone who needs everything to fit someone bull**** "philosophy"? Alienate good players, play turgid football, finish 4th because Liverpool have a clown managing them. What a manager.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I have no doubt Walcott would be one of the top goal scorers in Europe if he got a full season as Arsenal's striker. Might be worth a go. Though you're completely wrong about the whole only needing someone to kick the ball into the net thing.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Because there aren't that many, and most of those that are already play for top clubs. Why do people struggle with this?

I mean yeah, we'd all love to sign Benzema or Lewandowski, but why would they want to join and why would their clubs sell?
Yeah, this line of argument is even more annoying as a Liverpool fan, because we don't even have CL football to offer.

dogwalker

U19 Captain
Well you're a fan of the team and I'm not, so you know more than me. I do think you need a pure finisher to be title challengers, a Lineker/van Nistelrooy type. Walcott is not a finisher, I would sell him to Watford if I was you.