• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Countries you wish were really good at/really cared about cricket

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Would be nice if the local population in a non-traditional cricket country got interested by it. Papua New Guinea's rise is heartening. The ICC should try for others.

Also, don't get me started on teams like Hong Kong and UAE which are mostly expats who couldn't get into their own national teams in a million years.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Would be nice if the local population in a non-traditional cricket country got interested by it. Papua New Guinea's rise is heartening. The ICC should try for others.

Also, don't get me started on teams like Hong Kong and UAE which are mostly expats who couldn't get into their own national teams in a million years.
Afghanistan.

I suppose many of them are former refugees that lived in Pakistan, but they're all native Afghans and it's even taking off in the Dari-speaking regions as well, I believe.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah I have high hopes for Afghanistan. I've always wanted more good teams playing cricket, would legitimise it a bit. Might trivialise the Ashes though if in 100 years neither team is in the top ten. Ha.

8 teams on top of the original 2 getting test status after 100+ years is pretty weak IMO.

Rugby has about the same number of good, competitive countrys as Cricket(well a few more I guess) but they've got more than enough interested countries to have an exciting and open world cup

Really not happy(is anyone) about the 10 team 2019 world cup

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don Draper made a movie on cricket and it still didn't pick up in the US. It's over, man.

cnerd123

likes this
As someone who supports both nations, I find this incredibly ignorant.

UAE's entire population is expats. There are barely any locals to begin with. And despite that they have a few Emiratis in their squad.

Hong Kong's women team has a solid Chinese presence. They have Chinese-only cricket clubs. And they have picked a couple of Chinese players in the past. It's not easy to get the locals involved in cricket when the British treated it as a whites-only sport during their time here. It's not that that they don't know cricket, they actively dislike it. Give it a couple of generations for perceptions the change. The people involved with HK Cricket are trying very hard to get the locals involved. They coach it in local schools in Cantonese to young kids, they bring in locals who have lived overseas in places like England and NZ to come in and get involved, and they're constantly trying to gain attention and support from the government.

cnerd123

likes this
**** movie. Distorts the facts (the pitchers who won the contest in India all did have a cricket background, they didn't hate the sport as depicted in the movie), made the Indian kids look far weaker with their throws than they were, and overall makes cricket the butt of their jokes.

Movie did more harm than good for cricket tbh.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I've sometimes wondered if the English invented cricket as a form of training for swordsmanship. The batsman has to play a number of strokes similar to the cuts of a blade. This makes me wonder if the Japanese couldn't have been awesome at cricket, instead of baseball.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Surely if you can magically make a country interested in the cricket, the best way to get cricket mainstream in the US would just be to answer the US?
No. Chosing US gives us only US. Chosing Mexico gives us Mexico and (in time ofc) US.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bolivia

With the altitude at La Paz it would be fun to see Vargas bop Shami over long off for six

Burner

International Regular
I've sometimes wondered if the English invented cricket as a form of training for swordsmanship. The batsman has to play a number of strokes similar to the cuts of a blade. This makes me wonder if the Japanese couldn't have been awesome at cricket, instead of baseball.

I saw this guys in 'Stan Lee's SuperHumans' show, who could cut a tiny pinball pellet in half with his sword when it's shot at him. It was some incredible skill. They say that his brain gives him a different sense or perception altogether which gives him the ability to anticipate where the pellet is going to be and the strike. I've often wondered how good he would have been in a sport like cricket.

Edit: Search 'Stan lee Superhuman Samurai' in youtube to see what I am talking about.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
USA because they have the most influence over the rest of the world when it comes to popularising things.

Singapore next because I grew up here.

Oh and to add to what ***** said, **** all the expat hating idiots.

Expats grow the game in the country. Anyone who plays at any level in the expat heavy countries will know that in most of them, the number of youths that are progressing to the national teams as a product of the local system are steadily increasing in numbers. This **** takes time. A nation isn't randomly going to adopt a certain game for no reason at all. Even the country that invented the ****ing game has had a ****ton of expats turn out for them.

Last edited: