• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the SWALEC Stadium

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not that much of an odd one out. The Ashes 2013 one was very slow as well (last year's was truly disgusting though, that's exactly the sort of pitch that should be fined by the ICC for bringing the game into disrepute)
The one that had heaps of wickets for the seamers and 4 innings under 350? Nah jog on

Howe_zat

Audio File
I have since changed my mind a little an think we're ahead. Aus would be on course to match us but their batting order is much more top heavy than England's.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sweepstakes for Aus 1st innings total

GIMH 340
smali 375
Howe 390
harsh 408
Uppercut 420
weldone 491

Spark

Global Moderator
I have since changed my mind a little an think we're ahead. Aus would be on course to match us but their batting order is much more top heavy than England's.
In the last year we've gotten an absurd proportion of our runs from the lower order tbh.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I think too much is being made about the quality of the pitch, tbh. Sure, it's a little slow and the bounce is a little uneven, but batsmen who have applied themselves have scored runs and bowlers who have bowled well have taken wickets. On both sides.

I'd much rather have this pitch than a 600 v 600 road, or a 120 v 120 minefield.
Yes its 430 plays 250-5. With the last wicket of the day taking a little piece of the surface with it. It's not the worst in the world that's for sure.

Spark

Global Moderator
The one that had heaps of wickets for the seamers and 4 innings under 350? Nah jog on
Wha?

That pitch was slow. Anderson was magnificent, but the ball was consistently carrying through to the keeper at ankle height. I remember a lot of comments that Swann really should have done better than he did on that pitch (and we played Agar, which meant that the seamers had to take a lot of wickets).

When pitches get really slow, batting actually becomes quite difficult. Given that such pitches are difficult for bowlers as well, one can see why I really ****ing hate super-slow pitches.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
GIMH 340
smali 375
Howe 390
harsh 408
Uppercut 420
weldone 491
flibb 352
np10 364
Furball 320
kingkallis 392

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well next week will be slow and flat and the overhead conditions may decide the game. Whoever gets the cloud to bowl in will probably win.

Edgbaston is your best bet.

Trent Bridge is Jimmy's favourite ground and will be won by us with swing.

Oval is usually flat, they will have 2 pitches prepared, flat pancake if we are in front and a crumbly dustbowl if we need a win.
not sure if srs

why does every other country do this when we tour but if anything we do everything in our power to help the touring teams get the conditions most likely to help them?

Stace

First Class Debutant
Furball 320
GIMH 340
flibb 352
np10 364
smali 375
Howe 390
kingkallis 392
harsh 408
Uppercut 420
Stace 466
weldone 491

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Furball 320
GIMH 340
flibb 352
np10 364
smali 375
Howe 390
kingkallis 392
harsh 408
Uppercut 420
grecian 433
Stace 466
weldone 491

What do I win. if it's just the admiration of the forum I'm not sure if I was right to be arsed.

Last edited:

grecian

Oh c'mon the blessed Australians only have those hard and bouncy pitches because all their bowlers tend to hate that. Always been the way since Larwood and Miller, through, Lillee and Thomson, Lee and Gillespie, now Johnson and Harris, they really have had to struggle through on those pitches.

Gnske

Furball 320
Gnske 336
GIMH 340
flibb 352
np10 364
smali 375
Howe 390
kingkallis 392
harsh 408
Uppercut 420