• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the SWALEC Stadium

Gob

International Coach
Cricinfo headlines 'England hold the edge', but I make it smack on even.
Voges dismissal tipped it towards England. Tail has been good for Aust but you cant count on them to deliver. Australia at least has to match England

BeeGee

International Captain
Cricinfo headlines 'England hold the edge', but I make it smack on even.
Looking at this as a neutral, I'd rather be in England's shoes than Australia's. England ahead, not massively, but definitely ahead.

What happens with the new ball tomorrow may well decide the game.

Howe_zat

Audio File
What happens with the new ball tomorrow may well decide the game.
It's usually the sign of a good game that you can keep saying this about the next session.

The quality of the cricket hasn't been the best but it's made for a compelling match.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Personally think we're way ahead. Oz five down, plenty behind and a taillender at the crease. Not to mention it should be easy to get rid of Lyon too

BOOM I'M HERE ALL WEEK

Spark

Global Moderator
I guess a positive way to spin this is that this is going to be the pitch least suited to us, and we've been mediocre as opposed to flat-out terrible (which was a real possibility).

Need to sharpen up rapidly though.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I guess a positive way to spin this is that this is going to be the pitch least suited to us, and we've been mediocre as opposed to flat-out terrible (which was a real possibility).

Need to sharpen up rapidly though.
The rest of the pitches won't exactly be full of pace and bounce. This has been a pudding though.

Spark

Global Moderator
The rest of the pitches won't exactly be full of pace and bounce. This has been a pudding though.
Yeah that's not to say that the other pitches will be suited to us, but this is exactly the sort of deck where we've been repeatedly dicked over the past few years.

I have a largely similar feeling to yesterday though - England's advantage is probably fairly marginal insofar as one good session would wipe it out entirely, but nonetheless the number of "unforced errors" we're making is extremely frustrating. England have taken advantage really well, mind you.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that's not to say that the other pitches will be suited to us, but this is exactly the sort of deck where we've been repeatedly dicked over the past few years.
Well next week will be slow and flat and the overhead conditions may decide the game. Whoever gets the cloud to bowl in will probably win.

Edgbaston is your best bet.

Trent Bridge is Jimmy's favourite ground and will be won by us with swing.

Oval is usually flat, they will have 2 pitches prepared, flat pancake if we are in front and a crumbly dustbowl if we need a win.

Spark

Global Moderator
Lord's has had reasonable pace and bounce (particularly bounce) the last few years (which, of course, makes it a better batting strip against the old ball). Not fast by any means, but not this either.

If Trent Bridge is like last year then it's a serious favourite for draw. Any halfway competent FC batsman could have survived ages on that thing.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say we're ahead. Tipping Oz to get about 340ao.
You are probably lightly ahead. But Oz should at least come close to your total imo. Even if they get 430 I'd say you're ahead because they have to bat last in what looks like a subcontinent-like pitch so far. Australia needs to get a 75+ lead to get ahead in this game, and that looks very far now.

Spark

Global Moderator
Last year was the odd one out for TB though.
Not that much of an odd one out. The Ashes 2013 one was very slow as well (last year's was truly disgusting though, that's exactly the sort of pitch that should be fined by the ICC for bringing the game into disrepute)

BeeGee

International Captain
I think too much is being made about the quality of the pitch, tbh. Sure, it's a little slow and the bounce is a little uneven, but batsmen who have applied themselves have scored runs and bowlers who have bowled well have taken wickets. On both sides.

I'd much rather have this pitch than a 600 v 600 road, or a 120 v 120 minefield.