• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
92.7 was his quickest, that's what 150 or near enough anyway.
Eh...the same speed gun read Timmeh at 93 mph, which is way faster than he's ever bowled before, so I think I'll be taking some salt with this until I see it repeated a few times.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
we'd turned the corner in tests.
i was very excited when i returned home from the west indies.

how can this man not see just how piss poor the result in the west indies was?
I'd say it was about the same standard of result as drawing at home to NZ. Away conditions with a somewhat inexperienced team with no spinner coming off the back of a demoralising World Cup performances with many key players out of form was never going to be easy -albeit against a poor team.

Drawing 1-1 at home against an ill prepared but stronger NZ was of a similar standard.

Both series were OK results with some good and some bad performances and the expected inconsistencies.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Good post, but probably worth mentioning that Jos batted seven against NZ, with Ali at 8

Darren Gough on talk-sport (you're right to judge me but I have a long drive and like to spend it winding myself up lately) said in the long term he'd take the gloves from Buttler in ODIs and have Bairstow fill that role. I don't see the need

It's nice in a way to think that we can leave a guy who can play an innings like that out of the side. Shows we are very much going in the right direction
Right you are.

There's only space for at most two out of Buttler, Billings and Bairstow so I'd definitely be deadset against giving Bairstow the gloves because I like Billings the bat better.

I think realisitically if England see Buttler as their test wicketkeeper going forward they need to keep him keeping in ODI and T20 cricket because he needs all the practice that he can get at his wicketkeeping.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that's definitely part of it. Mainly though it's because Southee and Boult have worked so well together as a pair (and less well without the other one playing), so having someone do a Boult impersonation will probably get better results out of Southee and the attack overall than shuffling it around with different roles would. It's not just the fact that he's a left armer like Boult, but that he's primarily a new ball swing bowler like Boult, and swings the ball into the right handers and away from the left handers like Boult.

The fact that I just straight up rate Wheeler also plays into it. :p I actually think he's probably NZ's third best bowler; he just wouldn't be a great fit for the first change role if he played at full strength.

I'd stick with Henry though despite positioning myself as "Henry sceptic", so my attack would be Southee, Wheeler, Henry, Anderson and Craig.
Only three lbws in 1843 balls to right-handers in his last couple of FC seasons for Wheeler though Cribbage ftr.

It's a shame how often bowlers keep their seam release looking just about exactly the same as when you first saw it in their first domestic TV game. I keep wanting Wheeler to be better than a 30-averaging bowler in the Shield, like you do.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
With Boult out I'd be playing Discount Boult (ie. Wheeler).
There's only one Discount Boult over here too btw. It's slightly disappointing that Canterbury and NZC aren't going to have him ready, four years on from when this footage was collected -

Howe_zat

Audio File
That was some high end codswallop from Nasser's interview with the coach. Asks what he thinks has made the difference to the batting in this series. Essentially answers with how it's good that they've scored runs.

There's nothing worse for the idea that these people just know and understand more about the game than you than hearing them speak