• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Howe_zat

Audio File
I conflated tests and ODIs a bit there...obviously Watson is a handy ODI player.
Where England are going with their ODI game, I don't think Ali and Taylor fit. They want players who can build an innings and get big scores but can do it at a strike rate approaching 100.
Ali strikes at over 100 in both ODI and list A cricket. Had you seen him bat before you made this judgement? I've no idea how you reached it.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Ali strikes at over 100 in both ODI and list A cricket. Had you seen him bat before you made this judgement? I've no idea how you reached it.
It was a comment based more on his ODI average of 33.
On average, he scores 33 runs per innings.
I think England would be smart to look at other options, as they are doing.
I've seen him bat in the WC and in the tests against us, and he didn't seem much chop.

Last edited:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
skyliner you seem a bit obsessed with quoting me, and not always in context.
I think it's in context, you contradicted yourself over and over in a post where you claimed to be defending McLeakinruns - the quotes highlight your inconsistency and hyperbole.
You seemed to pop up in the middle of threads raving about fapping puppys and circle jerking and tinfoil hats and lemon sucking...just having a tanty about nothing. Did you see me big upping CaptainGrumpy? We were arguing in that thread. That's a circle jerk to you?
Your attitude seems hostile, as if you take perceived 'negative' opinions about certain players or topics personally.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure Kane would only be lead astray if you dressed up a woman like a Gray-Nicholls.
Brilliant.

He is a bit obsessive. But in a good way and we love him for it.
Goodness knows where Blocky got his stories from but I tend to believe his stories about tiring out the trainers with throw down after throwdown.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Just found some truly astonishing similarities between the later career of Mitch McClenaghan and England's Jade Dernbach.
McClenghan had an extraordinarily good start to his career, then from 1 January 2014 he basically became Jade Dernbach - check this out:
Jade Dernbach ODI career: 24 matches / 31 wickets / economy rate 6.35
McClenaghan since 1/1/2014: 24 matches / 30 wickets / economy rate 6.43
Since McClenaghan became 'Mitch Dernbach', he's performed at a marginally sub-JadeDernbach level, as the above stats attest.

Last edited:
Just found some truly astonishing similarities between the later career of Mitch McClenaghan and England's Jade Dernbach.
McClenghan had an extraordinarily good start to his career, then from 1 January 2014 he basically became Jade Dernbach - check this out:
Jade Dernbach ODI career: 24 matches / 31 wickets / economy rate 6.35
McClenaghan since 1/1/2014: 24 matches / 30 wickets / economy rate 6.43
Since McClenaghan became 'Mitch Dernbach', he's performed at a marginally sub-JadeDernbach level, as the above stats attest.
I'll email it to Smithy and he can report it during the next game.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If they want to keep to the same team as much as possible it makes more sense to play Bairstow as a poor man's Buttler than bringing in Taylor to bat at #3 or something.

I don't really think the trade off is worth it but it makes sense

Skyliner

International 12th Man
If they want to keep to the same team as much as possible it makes more sense to play Bairstow as a poor man's Buttler than bringing in Taylor to bat at #3 or something.

I don't really think the trade off is worth it but it makes sense
Keep with the same team dynamic as much as possible, it's working for England. Taylor's ODI S/R is 75, he'd slow things down batting in Root's spot at 3. England's moved past that game-plan of consolidating then having a later innings charge. Now it's charge from ball 1 all the way through. Root scores big and at a fast S/R at 3.

Howe_zat

Audio File
So Mathieson has a pretty shaky domestic record. What's his deal? Cricinfo have him as right-arm medium which is usually what they put if they don't know

Edit: I have discovered that cricketarchive call him 'Panda' instead of 'Andrew'. This is a good fact

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
So Mathieson has a pretty shaky domestic record. What's his deal? Cricinfo have him as right-arm medium which is usually what they put if they don't know
145kph one ball 125kph the next, steep bounce, poor radar.

was the top wicket taker iirc last 50 over comp, but he also went around the park. talented but very very raw.

vandem

International 12th Man
Andrew Mathieson? Blimey.
Right time, right place for him.

Chris Pringle made his international debut on an Eng tour, plucked from league cricket after various injuries to the tourists. Not sure if any other Kiwi made their debut in the same way.