• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

The enigma that is Mitch McClenaghan . Quickest NZ bowler to 50 wickets ever

When NZ got a first ever ODI series win in SA Jan 2013 Mitch made his debut that series

in Paarl 4-20 of 10

then 0-50 of 10 in Kimberly

then 2-70 of 10 in Potchefstroom

So he started off with a hiss

Still has an average of 28 all things considered. But boy when he bowls bad he bowls REAL bad .
Its no enigma. He buys wickets with that rubbish he bowls. But the cost is getting greater and greater over time.

He came back well in the second match I think, after going for 28 in his first two overs. That is an enigma.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Honestly, the reason I was looking forward to this series is because I thought NZ bowling would give a good show, but they've been a disappointment really.
Tbf it's been pretty dire for all bowlers concerned bar Boult. I would take this series with a grain of salt regarding the quality of the actual bowlers, bar Mitch. Mind you, fundamentals have taken a hit. I would back Henry and Wheeler to become 25-30 ODI bowlers for their career.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The enigma that is Mitch McClenaghan . Quickest NZ bowler to 50 wickets ever

When NZ got a first ever ODI series win in SA Jan 2013 Mitch made his debut that series

in Paarl 4-20 of 10

then 0-50 of 10 in Kimberly

then 2-70 of 10 in Potchefstroom

So he started off with a hiss and a roar

Still has an average of 28 all things considered. But boy when he bowls bad he bowls REAL bad .
MM is AA and I claim my $50

Siddle does a lot of heaving and sweating every delivery . But that's it. If James Patterson was injury free Siddle wouldn't be there I think.
Jedi, can you update your quote please? I changed that post extensively.

Siddle used to bowl a lot quicker, and was dropped and told to get his pace back up. I think he has done that.

He is used as a toil bowler for many overs at pace around Mitch and Rhino.

Last edited:

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Jedi, can you update your quote please? I changed that post extensively.

Siddle used to bowl a lot quicker, and was dropped and told to get his pace back up. I think he has done that.

He is used as a toil bowler for many overs at pace around Mitch and Rhino.
Kind of like Niel Wagner

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I mean he talks himself up as the ultimate two card trick. Except the batsmen now know that he isn't bowling within himself ready to bluff them with a 145-150kmh screamer.
Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head. He carries himself like he is a fast bowler, and now international batsmen will know he's a paper tiger...the intimidation factor has been lost.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, ODI cricket is essentially meaningless. It is a contrived game designed to appeal to a broader cross-section of people that those who can appreciate the nuances of the vastly superior test cricket. A pitch can evolve over 5 days, it can't do much over the course of 100 overs, except either get slower or flatten out more.
These higher scoring games probably appeal most to the people this kind of cricket was supposed to appeal to, the ones who love constant 4s and 6s, T20, 'hit and giggle'. So the evolution of the game is going in a desirable direction, from that point of view.
So I wonder if it's anything to get too worried about, whether ODI cricket is predominantly low scoring, mid scoring or high scoring. It just doesn't matter.
Exactly right. As long as people can go to an ODI, smash as many cans as sixes are hit, it'll remain viable. And it would take a truly bold CEO to go to his Board and say nope, we're putting away the teats of the cash cow and focusing on playing as many Tests as possible. You'd need to be a person with a lot more moral and historical currency than D.White, I know that much.

I don't mind ODI cricket, serves a purpose - I don't watch it nor care really who wins, but others do. That's cool. As for day-night Test cricket which will change the whole fabric of the format, or some English wanker coming up with the idea of 4-day Tests, no bloody thank you.

Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head. He carries himself like he is a fast bowler, and now international batsmen will know he's a paper tiger...the intimidation factor has been lost.
Plus with slower bouncers being more prevalent, batsmen have more shots with which to handle them. They are not limited to pulls and hooks to mid wicket, square leg and fine leg. There is ramping it to third man, cross bat down the ground, mid on is also possible with greater accuracy.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's much, much smarter than you'll probably ever give him credit for, which is not your fault as you don't know the guy. But he owns a sharp cricket brain and would end up a bowling coach if he didn't have bigger fish to fry. Over one series or 2 you might get lucky, but not fastest to 50 poles in NZ history (2nd overall from memory) and only last month played a massive part in Mumbai winning the IPL. If he's not nicking guys out it doesn't mean he's a pie thrower.

Flem274*

123/5
Can't believe I read the last few pages.

Henry and wheeler are gems. Mitch is in a horror slump and I don't think it is coincidence every third seamer we pick becomes suddenly obsessed with the middle of the pitch.

If they want someone to hit the deck then it's Bennett, milne or even Duffy.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant

Henry and wheeler are gems. Mitch is in a horror slump and I don't think it is coincidence every third seamer we pick becomes suddenly obsessed with the middle of the pitch.

Milne by miles mate. Mitch is in a horror slump and I think he is pretty much being blamed for the bowling shimozzle last night . Reading Stuff comments NZ now has no decent bowlers we will get destroyed by everyone from here on in LOL.

Last edited:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Exactly right. As long as people can go to an ODI, smash as many cans as sixes are hit, it'll remain viable. And it would take a truly bold CEO to go to his Board and say nope, we're putting away the teats of the cash cow and focusing on playing as many Tests as possible. You'd need to be a person with a lot more moral and historical currency than D.White, I know that much.

I don't mind ODI cricket, serves a purpose - I don't watch it nor care really who wins, but others do. That's cool. As for day-night Test cricket which will change the whole fabric of the format, or some English wanker coming up with the idea of 4-day Tests, no bloody thank you.
To me, an ODI is something you go to and enjoy if you have a great cricket team. A great cricket team is one that competes in test cricket, winning to the greatest degree possible. I don't want to go to ODI cricket when the test team is a joke. I will go and have a blast at an ODI because we have a great test team i.e. we are respected. This is because ODI cricket is meaningless, outside of World Cups.
Does anyone understand that point of view? We care about test cricket, for generations we have listened to it on the radio, I swear I get Sky TV because I love cricket - and test cricket is still the heart of that love: it makes my acceptance and enjoyment of the other forms of cricket possible.
Who understands that? The media, the NZC...they don't seem to understand. Their belief is that if I don't go and sit at a ground for 5 days and watch all the sessions then I don't love test cricket. This is despite what I have said previously.

Skyliner

International 12th Man

Henry was talked up something chronic, but he is better than Mitch - I'll give you that.