• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2015 Ashes in England

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
MJ performs below his best and takes 8 @ 19.
Starc looks to be 'giving it his all' and is only fractionally better with 10 @ 16.
Isn't that more an argument for Johnson, considering he can still ratchet it up from what we've seen in the Windies? :p
Absolutely, and I am in the Johnson camp. Also, he adds more to the side in terms of variation than does Starc with Harris and Haze already in the attack.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You'd really need the most brass of balls to drop Johnson before a ball was bowled. I'm not saying it's not the right call -- in fact my gut instincts are to agree with Furball -- but it'd be a massive, massive call that I'm not sure the selectors would be willing to make. I wouldn't be able to do it in their shoes, at least not until the second Test.

Whichever attack gets picked for the first Test, though, the selectors are going to absolutely cop it from the Hindsight Brigade if Australia don't win that game given the quality of bowler they're going to have to leave out.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
in a bizarre plot twist harris will be left out
I was kind of thinking the opposite -- one of the other bowlers is left out, Harris isn't great in the first Test, fans and media hacks complain about him being old, not match fit and/or slower/less exciting than the bowler that is left out.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In fairness, Harris hasn't played any meaningful cricket for 6 months.

He'd be the first name on my teamsheet but there's definitely logic to leaving him out at Cardiff.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Yep I think this is still a bit of an unknown. Do we agree that if Harris has lost a yard of pace he'll be nowhere near as effective? If he seems down on pace in the warmups I don't think having him wait for later in the series would be terrible.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

He'd be the first name on my teamsheet but there's definitely logic to leaving him out at Cardiff.
Hasn't played because he's been asked to keep his sweet ass fit and ready for Ashes, afaik. Dumping him now would be GRRMesque.

adub

International Captain

There was logic in leaving him out of the first test last time too.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, if Harris gets through the two practice matches without breaking apart or looking like he's lost it completely, he plays.

Twitter users in having short memories shock. Thinking in 140 characters doesn't lend itself well to remembering things.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Yep I think this is still a bit of an unknown. Do we agree that if Harris has lost a yard of pace he'll be nowhere near as effective? If he seems down on pace in the warmups I don't think having him wait for later in the series would be terrible.
His career is a constant cycle of getting injured and coming back. Don't think it's a problem for him.