• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
- England's middle order issue is real with Bell and Ballance right now playing as they are.
- The big positive for them has been Wood. So much better as a bowling attack than the series in Windies.
- Re Henry - I didn't like him in this test either. Doesn't seem to have that extra bite required at test level right now. Agree that would prefer Wagner instead of him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Henry gave us much more in the first test than Wagner would have. This experience would have been good for him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Henry gave us much more in the first test than Wagner would have. This experience would have been good for him.
Not sure about that. Yeah, on day 1 he was pretty good and was critical in us running through England's top order. But I can't help but wonder whether Wagner would've been more handy charging in and bowling on day 4. It's tricky because when Wagner is out of kilter he bowls just absolute filth and Stokes would've smoked him even moreso than he did Southee and Henry. But when he's on form, he bowls an excellent first change length, which would've been pretty valuable in that situation.

I'm glad Henry got a go this series, but I'm really not sure if he's done enought to establish his place (which he really needs to do given the competition for his spot).

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Comparing Wagner with Henry saying Wagner would've done better is a bit unfair though considering it was Henry's debut series. He was inconsistent, but he pretty obviously has a higher ceiling than Wagner, which is why he should be in the team for a while. He's going to get a lot better.

cnerd123

likes this
Henry does seem to be a bowler who will have less shockers. And he looks really good when he gets it right. Makes him a good foil for Boulthee (Soult?).

Third seamer is definitely up for grabs. I was disapointed by Henry's lack of pace in England and Henry, Wagner and Dougie are all still in the mix with Ben Wheeler snapping at their heels.

I didn't mind Henry's selection as he deserved his chance and Wagner had not shut the down on the others. I do like Wagner as a selection - but I do have doubts about Dougie as an international bowler.

Competition for spots is healthy and it is by no means settled.

The real success for me of this tour was Mark Craig. While his 7 wickets at 42 looks very ordinary, it does not tell the full story of his value and worth to the team. While the commentators bagged him, on a fourth day pitch in England he was regularly turning the ball square - and if someone says "Boult's footmarks" well I hope Boult continues to be fit, because if fit, he will be selected.

If Craig continues to develop his batting (he averaged 52 in England) and continues to develop his bowling, he is a legitimate second innings threat, and great economy in the first innings. I'm happy for him. He is becomming a very valuable member of the team with his results not being spectacular as such.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Just wanna say that Craig, after 10 matches, averages 3.8 wickets per match as a spinner. And averages more with the bat than with the ball.

Obviously, it will be very difficult for him to maintain these stats, but for a New Zealand spinner to average more than 3.5 wickets a match is fairly rare. I don't know any New Zealand spinner who did this over a full career. Vettori I think was around 3.2 without being arsed to check.

Just wanna say that Craig, after 10 matches, averages 3.8 wickets per match as a spinner. And averages more with the bat than with the ball.

Obviously, it will be very difficult for him to maintain these stats, but for a New Zealand spinner to average more than 3.5 wickets a match is fairly rare. I don't know any New Zealand spinner who did this over a full career. Vettori I think was around 3.2 without being arsed to check.
With Boult on lead vocals (despite his small mouth), McCullum and Williamson both on lead guitars, Craig is vying for the drummer spot in the band with Watling.

OverratedSanity

Craig's a weird one. I just don't rate him because of how many bad balls he bowls, and even many of his wickets seem to come when batsmen play inexplicably dumb shots to innocuous deliveries. Like his action, though.

OverratedSanity

Craig will average 20-30 with the bat and 40-45 with the ball.

Is that good enough?

Probably.
Yeah maybe. probably 25-30 with the bat imo.

I'd say he'd be a big asset if he stopped being so ****ing **** when he's not picking up wickets. When he gets wickets, he contributes vitally to wins, but when he's not getting them, boy, he's so terrible he becomes one of the main culprits for the loss.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Craig will average 20-30 with the bat and 40-45 with the ball.

Is that good enough?

Probably.
Really depends on how he gets that bowling average, really. When he's able to be threatening and when he's able to keep it tight are far more relevant than his runs conceded per wicket in the context of this side.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Really depends on how he gets that bowling average, really. When he's able to be threatening and when he's able to keep it tight are far more relevant than his runs conceded per wicket in the context of this side.
Also have to compare him to the next bloke though, Tastle and Sodhi aren't going to keep it any tighter.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I'd back Craig to average 30-35 with the bat to be honest. Should be helped by keeping calm and keeping gangsta and reaping tha not outz when our tail enders slog out.

Consistency will come with the ball, hopefully. I think for now we should rejoice in having a spinner that has more or less contributed to wins in 4 out of the 10 matches he has played.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Also have to compare him to the next bloke though, Tastle and Sodhi aren't going to keep it any tighter.
Yeah, but it's not just about comparing their averages.

Someone who averaged 80 but kept it pretty tight when it wasn't turning but averaged 25 and was more expensive in turning conditions would be worth more to NZ than someone who just averaged 38 and went at 3.3rpo everywhere, even if the former guy averaged 43 overall.

This is pretty much exactly why I think Craig is a better option than Sodhi. They'd probably average similar amounts overall but Craig being able to actually play a useful role sometimes as opposed to being just 'pretty crap but not completely useless' in every situation makes him more valuable.

More than anything he needs to figure out how to not go for millions whenever he's basically only on to give the quicks a rest though; that really hurts.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Pidg Craig might be a 0-100, 5-100 operator (at least short-term). We're happy with that, right? If the 0-100 is in the first innings? And if a few of the 5-100s win us Tests, as they already have? He bowled some incredibly good stuff last night.

And he scores vital 30s and 40s, bats with BJ, shows fight and averages 25ish? We're happy with that right.

He's also an incredibly good second slip. Don't reckon he's dropped one yet. That's a vital position with a swing-laden bowling attack.

Again I'm biased but I'm absolutely thrilled with what he's offered. He's got all the tools to get even better - tall, unfazed by bowling to anyone, attacking bowler (lord knows we haven't had one of those spin-wise for quite some time), drifts it and gives it a damn good rip. He brings in a lot of dismissals that others in the past haven't offered.

viriya

International Captain
Just saw some of the highlights.. looks like this was a great series.

The Bell and Root dismissals were facepalm-worthy for English fans no doubt.

Just saw some of the highlights.. looks like this was a great series.

The Bell and Root dismissals were facepalm-worthy for English fans no doubt.
Root absolutely smashed the leather off the ball. Straight to the fullback Latham who called for the mark. What are you on about? I am confused.

And Bell was brilliant captainacy and bowling strategy. Before that ball McCullum adjusted the field set. Craig said he wanted a leg slip and McCullum obliged and gave him one (and moved himself into silly point). It was brilliant. Maybe silly batting by Bell - but Root had no fault on his part. Latham was hit in the chest, it was not a "clean catch". That was the match winning wicket for me. I think Cook and Root could have batted a day (or most thereof) together. Breaking that partnership was vital. Second ball!

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, there's a decent chance that Craig will improve over the next few years, and with the quality of bowlers he has surrounding him, NZ can afford to carry a developing spinner. We do need him to improve though, as he contributed to the loss at Lord's just as much as he contributed to the win here.

Hooksey

Banned
Great win by the Kiwis. They only had to provide England the opportunity to lose and they they grabbed it with both hands.

Can't wait til we get hold of England in the 1st Test on July 8th.