• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
You can have great 3 test series and a lot of recent 5 test ones have ended up being one-sided, but 2 is never better than 3.
Yeah, three is usually pretty good. I think 2 test series usually leave people wanting more, which is why they get a bad rep. But I'd argue that's indicative of a good series. Certainly preferable to feeling like we all might as well of gone home two weeks ago.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, three is usually pretty good. I think 2 test series usually leave people wanting more, which is why they get a bad rep. But I'd argue that's indicative of a good series. Certainly preferable to feeling like we all might as well of gone home two weeks ago.
Yeah it's the quality of cricket not the length that makes a series. As this series has been thrilling everyone's after more, and vice versa with recent five rubbers but a good five test series leaves you wanting more just as much as a bad two test series has you feeling relieved there weren't more

I don't buy the decisive angle, though. Had the Sri Lanka series last year been three tests then who's to say the extra test might not have meant we wound up without a decider?

(Obviously accounting for the fact we were crap at that specific point)

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am not sure I would be left wanting more after a great 5 test series, I mean 2005 was perfect. I know they used to have 6 test series but that does seem overly long. A 5 test series between to well matched sides is still the best it can get.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I am not sure I would be left wanting more after a great 5 test series, I mean 2005 was perfect. I know they used to have 6 test series but that does seem overly long. A 5 test series between to well matched sides is still the best it can get.
It's not quite so literal but don't pretend a tiny part of you wasn't a little sad it was over in 05

I mean aside from the euphoria of the result

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah.

A huge part of the euphoria was what Trent Bridge and the Oval results mean in the context of the series.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
When was the last time we had a really good four match series or longer, where the last game had big implications for the series and what was happening at the end was really different to what was happening at the beginning? England in India 2012 counts I reckon. Before that you probably have to go back to England in South Africa in 2009/10. We've had loads more interesting 2 match series since then. Sure a shot series will never come close to 2005, but there's too many series like India in Australia last season, and Australia in India a couple of years before that.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Boult now our premier quick. Has actually pulled ahead in the partnership stats as well now.

Prior to this tour they were pretty much dead even. Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

But now Boult's definitely ahead.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Odd how close the stats line up to the general impression NZ fans seem to have of the two. Southee having two better series than Boult will pull him ahead again and likely would in public opinion as well.

Also found it kinda funny how high Broad is on these lists.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Boult now our premier quick. Has actually pulled ahead in the partnership stats as well now.

Prior to this tour they were pretty much dead even. Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

But now Boult's definitely ahead.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Odd how close the stats line up to the general impression NZ fans seem to have of the two. Southee having two better series than Boult will pull him ahead again and likely would in public opinion as well.

Also found it kinda funny how high Broad is on these lists.
Go away kiwi we're talking about the 2005 Ashes.