• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
NZ ahead, you'd think. what with England batting 4th. The fifth wicket was vital, given Stokes' current form.

veganbob

U19 Captain
NZ ahead, you'd think. what with England batting 4th. The fifth wicket was vital, given Stokes' current form.
need to get early wickets. to be honest southee has been pretty awful this series. just like tge majority of the world cup as well. he is far too predictable. needs to invent a new delivery.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Good to see NZ hanging in there and making the second new ball count, after Cook and Lyth were threatening to slam the door shut. Cook seems to be in a happy place at the moment, NZ better have a plan in place for him the the 2nd innings. Again a mixed day for the bowlers but fortunately Craig continues to have a good test (even if the comments here seem to indicate that England were too easy on him) and that allowed McCullum some control, making up for Henry being unreliable.

Wouldn't say NZ are in front though. ,Knowing how shaky they can get in the second innings, will need a lead of at least 50 IMO. With Ali still to come, it's a tough ask. Boult did a good job at Lord's polishing off England on the 2nd and 5th days, but surely needs more support from Southee now.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Massively dependant on what the weather is like AM. There's a load of rain coming overnight so we might not start on time. If its cloudy when they get on England could get skittled.

It was noticeable how much the old ball was hooping when the cloud came over in the last hr.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Yes, the game is interestingly poised. First session on third day will be crucial to see who is ahead half way. I was disappointed with the early NZ bowling effort. Both Boult and Southee were guilty of being too predictable and the English openers capitalized nicely. If NZ can bowl England out for parity or better and post a 250 - 300 lead then it will make for an excellent chase.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Getting a wicked sense of deja vu all over again. NZ to get a reasonable first innings lead, then n abysmal second innings batting effort and/or a flat bowling performance will see England home by 6 wickets. Seems to be the routine for us in England this century, this match looking no different.

Stay gloomy, it's the hope that hurts...

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Massively dependant on what the weather is like AM. There's a load of rain coming overnight so we might not start on time. If its cloudy when they get on England could get skittled.

It was noticeable how much the old ball was hooping when the cloud came over in the last hr.
Interesting. I thought the new ball wasn't doing much for both Boult and Southee and the openers had it easy. I will have to watch the highlights to see exactly how much the old ball was moving. This is strange because both Southee and Boult are really new ball bowlers.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Interesting. I thought the new ball wasn't doing much for both Boult and Southee and the openers had it easy. I will have to watch the highlights to see exactly how much the old ball was moving. This is strange because both Southee and Boult are really new ball bowlers.
the new ball was doing plenty, cook and lyth were just playing them exceptionally well.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha wtf. I fell asleep at 150/0. Awesome score to wake up to. All second new ball magic?
I also bailed at around 150/0, however for me this was a horrible scorecard to wake up to............totally against the script I had mapped out.

Moss

the new ball was doing plenty, cook and lyth were just playing them exceptionally well.
Yeah Cook has had some series, looks determined to win back public support following recent events. Latham should pay close attention to how Cook's gone about his business, though he's had a decent couple of tests himself.

Happy for England that Lyth has solved.their opening problem for now. Will be intersted to see hpw he goes against Johnson and co.

Moss

Getting a wicked sense of deja vu all over again. NZ to get a reasonable first innings lead, then n abysmal second innings batting effort and/or a flat bowling performance will see England home by 6 wickets. Seems to be the routine for us in England this century, this match looking no different.

Stay gloomy, it's the hope that hurts...
The thing that worries me most is having just 4 bowlers. Even assuming that NZ bat well 2nd time around and set England a reasonable score, there's plenty of time to get the runs and England have shown themselves to be patient. KW apart, no one to play the filler and partnership breaker role so extra pressure on the ND duo.

BeeGee

International Captain
These two teams are incredibly evenly matched. It's been a fantastic contest. If only they could ****-can a few of the pointless ODIs they are going to play and fit in an extra test.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol, I went to bed when the openers were still in. New ball first thing tomorrow will be massively important, Bell, Buttler and Ali can still easily get a handy lead. Interesting comparing the two run rates, we benefited by being able to take the second new ball with England still 100+ behind.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else noticed that there's a massive difference in how home crowds react to Cook compared to people on social media (not really talking CW here)?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah people who go to the cricket do tend to have more positive attitudes to it in general than people who follow the scores on the news and then whinge about their team sucking on twitter. CW, where people watch the games on TV and then whinge about their team sucking in tour threads, lies somewhere between the two. :p

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Went to bed at 0/170. Good finish for New Zealand. Will be a very interesting session, this.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great innings from Lyth, too. Hopefully for England's sake he gets a long time up there....one of England's biggest problems was a lack of a consistent opening pairing.