• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Another point i'd bring up about Kane that people barely mention is out of all the young, none English batsmen doing well in test cricket such as Kohli, Warner, Smith, Bravo etc Kane is the only one who has had the opportunity to play regularly in county cricket. A platform with a reputation of improving the techniques of many overseas batsman over the years. The question i ask is would Kane be doing this well if he wasn't granted such opportunities and played the vast majority of his first class cricket in NZ?
What point are you trying to make. That his success is unfair.
Obviously his county stint helped him as it helped Guptill.
Seriously where has this comment come from and where are you going with it.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
What point are you trying to make. That his success is unfair.
Obviously his county stint helped him as it helped Guptill.
Seriously where has this comment come from and where are you going with it.
Not saying it's unfair i'm just asking if he would be the same player had he not been playing county cricket? And if not then what the likes of Smith, Kohli etc are doing must be extra special seeing as they have done it with no extra platform to hone their skills.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He wouldn't have got a county contract, especially with Yorkshire, if he wasn't the real deal in the first place. The Windies didn't dominate the 80s just because most of their wider squad had county contracts.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England will probably set NZ 300 odd, they'll get within 16 runs to get in 3 overs with 7 wickets left and then Ishant will bounce them out with 130kph bouncers.

Athlai

Not Terrible
urgh that's such a terrible argument. County cricket is not what it meant to players 20 years ago, conditioning and offseason training can keep the contemporary cricketer improving their game off the pitch.

Does it give Williamson a greater advantage in English conditions? Yes.
Would he be as good without it? Most probably.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The pitch was dead when NZ batted in the second innings imo...WI made the silly error of playing just five batsmen and there you go. Kane has never scored a ton on a seaming track or a dust bowl from what i recall but hey anything i say here people will jump on it even though it's truth that's being spoken.
Utter rubbish as usual. Williamson has played plenty of important innings on tough batting decks. His match saving 100 v SA in 2012? The 90 he scored v England on day 1 of the Eden Park test? Or his 100 v India on day 1 of the Eden Park test in 2014? Not to mention the important 50's that he's scored on real green mambas against India and Sri Lanka in the last couple of seasons.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Another point i'd bring up about Kane that people barely mention is out of all the young, none English batsmen doing well in test cricket such as Kohli, Warner, Smith, Bravo etc Kane is the only one who has had the opportunity to play regularly in county cricket. A platform with a reputation of improving the techniques of many overseas batsman over the years. The question i ask is would Kane be doing this well if he wasn't granted such opportunities and played the vast majority of his first class cricket in NZ?
spot on

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Not saying it's unfair i'm just asking if he would be the same player had he not been playing county cricket? And if not then what the likes of Smith, Kohli etc are doing must be extra special seeing as they have done it with no extra platform to hone their skills.
I know it sounds crazy but it's almost as though his impeccable work ethic is a large part of what makes him an excellent cricketer.

I mean yes, I see your point exactly

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Utter rubbish as usual. Williamson has played plenty of important innings on tough batting decks. His match saving 100 v SA in 2012? The 90 he scored v England on day 1 of the Eden Park test? Or his 100 v India on day 1 of the Eden Park test in 2014? Not to mention the important 50's that he's scored on real green mambas against India and Sri Lanka in the last couple of seasons.
None of those were tough seaming tracks or dust bowls imo but hey if you think they were then ok.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
urgh that's such a terrible argument. County cricket is not what it meant to players 20 years ago, conditioning and offseason training can keep the contemporary cricketer improving their game off the pitch.

Does it give Williamson a greater advantage in English conditions? Yes.
Would he be as good without it? Most probably.
And yet Ravi Shastri and co are talking about sending Indian players to county to improve their technique with one (Pujara) already there? Williamson was averaging around low to mid 30s in tests before he started playing regularly in county and now low and behold it's gone up. How anyone can argue that it didn't help improve him is beyond me.

OverratedSanity

And yet Ravi Shastri and co are talking about sending Indian players to county to improve their technique with one (Pujara) already there? Williamson was averaging around low to mid 30s in tests before he started playing regularly in county and now low and behold it's gone up. How anyone can argue that it didn't help improve him is beyond me.
I agree.

Spark

Global Moderator
In completely different news, Simon Jones just made a good comparison between Mark Wood and, well, himself, wrt to their actions (short run ups, explosive through the crease). Apparently Jones was told by Fletcher to lengthen his run-up or he'd not play for England.

OverratedSanity

In completely different news, Simon Jones just made a good comparison between Mark Wood and, well, himself, wrt to their actions (short run ups, explosive through the crease). Apparently Jones was told by Fletcher to lengthen his run-up or he'd not play for England.
Doesn't bode well for Wood in terms of fitness then.