• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2015 Ashes in England

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, SMarsh, Burns, and Cowan are the top 3 to replace, given Voges is out of position (despite great form).

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So, SMarsh, Burns, and Cowan are the top 3 to replace, given Voges is out of position (despite great form).
Burns --> Cowan to replace Rogers after the Ashes.

Marsh --> Voges for the floating middle-order spot (should one even exist).

1. Warner
2. Burns/Cowan
3. Smith
4. Clarke *
5. Marsh/Voges
6. Watson
7. Haddin +
+ the bowlers

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I'm curious what the plan for Voges is. If his form was so good it couldn't be ignored that suggests he slots straight in at 5. I just doubt they will drop Darsh. Which means Voges is only going as backup. I'd rather have a younger bat if that's what happens. Maybe they expect he will play due to injury (clarke. Please no) or **** batting (Darsh).

Niall

International Coach
I'm curious what the plan for Voges is. If his form was so good it couldn't be ignored that suggests he slots straight in at 5. I just doubt they will drop Darsh. Which means Voges is only going as backup. I'd rather have a younger bat if that's what happens. Maybe they expect he will play due to injury (clarke. Please no) or **** batting (Darsh).
He had a beast of a Shield season, has experience in England where he has done well and has scored heavily for Middlesex this season in four day cricket, if Marsh was to stink it out or Clarke was to get injured, which could possibly happen, Voges is a great option to slot instantly and do a job, ignore his age, who would be a better alternative?

Tangles

I'm fine with him fitting straight in for Darsh. What has Darsh done to be worthy of a spot in front of him is more where I'm going.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
and just a reminder that if Smith does start batting at 3 and also fails there, it is not because he can't bat at 3

Tangles

At what point does Smith bat 3?

Don't think England in England is the best tour for him to debut at 3.
I think him wanting it and the lack of good options will mean it happens. We have 2 WI tests before at least.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeh, Smith to 3. Bloke wants the responsibility and rises to the occasion whenever he gets it.

I'd go (for WIs and England):

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Voges
Clarke
Marsh/Watto (I'd prefer Marsh in a way but I think Watto's bowling will be effective in England so that should be seen as his swansong)
Haddin

Voges could give 2 years of really solid test service. Durable in terms of injury and knows his game well. And will be effective in England. Handy transition player as Watto, Haddin and Rogers all probably retire sooner rather than later. Clarke is always a step away from injury, so Voges could be a handy foil for Smith for a few years.

TheJediBrah

If Voges doesn't play then we're basically saying that scoring runs in state cricket is meaningless

Top_Cat

Yes and no. The number of runs and that he scored in a variety of circumstances and conditions should hold him in good stead but I don't think his play outside off stump was really tested this year and Anderson could wreck him. Still think he tends to fence. If he scores against the counties he'll be in with a massive chance but in no way should he be a shoe-in even if he plays in the WI.

Last edited: