• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2015 Ashes in England

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I'm actually having a hard time convincing people at my club that England can win one test. Says a lot.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if you're just joking tbh. 2009 was his breakout series. He's never having a better one ever again.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
........ and the West Indies of course. I think a lot depends on the weather - if we get a long hot summer I fear for England. Even if we get some damp conditions I think Australia will win comfortably enough, but we really ought to be able to take a Test is the ball is hooping around
Even the West Indies only caused an away whitewash once IIRC.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Smith and Warner? Wouldn't bank on Clarke to get runs throughout the series like those two can.
Was comfortably better than warner the last time they both played in england.

Though Shane watson got the most run during that series so I dunno what you can glean from that.

OverratedSanity

Was comfortably better than warner the last time they both played in england.

Though Shane watson got the most run during that series so I dunno what you can glean from that.
Pointless fact. Warner wasn't half the batsman he is now. He's gone to a ridiculous level since then.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Only in conditions that have suited him though. Admittedly there's not a lot to go off but I still don't trust him in swinging (and I mean really swinging) conditions. He's been really really good in conditions like Australia and South Africa (which is pretty damn similar to australia) and it was gratifying to see him bat well in the UAE but I still have more faith in clarke (and even chris rogers really if we can add him to the equation) when it comes to performing in england. Could obviously prove me wrong, and I hope he does!

Gob

International Coach
all depends on clarkeh's back . If he is fully mobile he can score runs anywhere

OverratedSanity

Only in conditions that have suited him though. Admittedly there's not a lot to go off but I still don't trust him in swinging (and I mean really swinging) conditions. He's been really really good in conditions like Australia and South Africa (which is pretty damn similar to australia) and it was gratifying to see him bat well in the UAE but I still have more faith in clarke (and even chris rogers really if we can add him to the equation) when it comes to performing in england. Could obviously prove me wrong, and I hope he does!
Yeah, but Clarke isn't really the model for batting in swinging conditions either. I'd enjoy it if he got runs and smashed Anderson and Broad all over England but I'd be surprised if he pulled out more than one really good innings in the series. That's been his form for a while now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Now he's matured he'll start fulfilling the potential he's had for 15 years

for about 15 months :p

EDIT:

Do expect Twatto to do well with the ball in this series and perhaps be the difference between the two sides.. Also, Australia need to be "unfunky" and actually let someone like Lyon play all the games...

Last edited:

Antihippy

International Debutant
Yeah, but Clarke isn't really the model for batting in swinging conditions either. I'd enjoy it if he got runs and smashed Anderson and Broad all over England but I'd be surprised if he pulled out more than one really good innings in the series. That's been his form for a while now.
I feel like when he does though it's always been at pretty crucial junctions. I would agree with you about his form (though he honestly hasn't had much test form due to being constantly injured) but I would also agree with spark that I would trust him to play the significant innings.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
My tickets for Edgbaston turned up on Friday so I'm starting to get pumped tbh. I don't think we can achieve a whitewash but given the circus around KP and their management I'm hoping that both the Aussies and the Kiwis give them a smashing.

Totally agreed that our batting is suspect if the balls swinging around. The fitness of our fast bowling unit will dictate the margin of the result. If Clarke clicks once that usually might be enough if Smith can keep his form going.