• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

Stapel

International Regular
He started averaging about 30 a few years ago and has stubbornly maintained that average ever since
Fair enough.

It's just that I remember England in SA several years ago. To me, it seemed completely ridiculous to stick with Jimmey at that time. But the England selectors did. I guess they were right. Or just lucky :ph34r:

Spark

Global Moderator
If it was the last time England toured SA he'd well and truly earned his place by then, and was England's best bowler with Flintoff gone and Swann yet to start his peak.

Stapel

International Regular
If it was the last time England toured SA he'd well and truly earned his place by then, and was England's best bowler with Flintoff gone and Swann yet to start his peak.
2009/2010. Indeed when Flintoff (and Harmison) was gone and Swann just there. Not sure Anderson's place was that well cemented. I really don't have any proper idea about that.

Spark

Global Moderator
2009/2010. Indeed when Flintoff (and Harmison) was gone and Swann just there. Not sure Anderson's place was that well cemented. I really don't have any proper idea about that.
Yeah it was definitely cemented by then.

Stapel

International Regular
He probably means the 2004/05 tour where Anderson played one game and got absolutely hammered.

EDIT: Or not. :p
Cheers! On the edit that is :) .

I simply can't remeber WHY I thought Anderson should go at that time. I only remember thinking he wasn't what England needed.

Spark

Global Moderator
Probably because he was still a young bowler at that stage, and his average obviously wasn't reflective of how well he was actually bowling by then.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wouldn't disagree with you here. Yet, it does make an interesting question why a bowler averaging mid 30s (at that time) was well cemented!
His average was greatly affected by being selected too early when he was pretty rubbish, though. He was left out for a while and then recalled, after which he cemented his spot.

Between his recall in NZ 2007/08 and that series he'd taken 78 wickets in 22 Tests @ 31 which was obviously perfectly good.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I simply can't remeber WHY I thought Anderson should go at that time. I only remember thinking he wasn't what England needed.
From the sounds of things, perhaps you just took a look at his career average and scoffed at it out of context. ;)

Stapel

International Regular
Probably because he was still a young bowler at that stage, and his average obviously wasn't reflective of how well he was actually bowling by then.
What I remember about Jimmey is that he was (pre 2010) a typical right-conditions-great-bowler-wrong-conditions-crap-bowler.

Anyway. My favourite fast bowler in the World for some time now.

Stapel

International Regular
From the sounds of things, perhaps you just took a look at his career average and scoffed at it out of context. ;)
Half guilty!
I used to go by averages a lot my more than I should. Mostly because I lack real life cricket discussion buddies. In NL only 5000 people (that's including women, children, and foreigners) play cricket. At my cricket club (35 members), no one comes close to watching even 10% of the amount of (test) cricket I watch. Among opponents, there a few like me, but not more than 4....

Stapel

International Regular
Am I the only one thinking England could/should play a bit more aggresive? Still a decent number of fielders in runs-saving-positions.....

Furball

Evil Scotsman
His average was greatly affected by being selected too early when he was pretty rubbish, though. He was left out for a while and then recalled, after which he cemented his spot.

Between his recall in NZ 2007/08 and that series he'd taken 78 wickets in 22 Tests @ 31 which was obviously perfectly good.
Nah, his early average is affected by being binned and being selected in random one off situations. When he was actually given a consistent run in the side early doors he tended to average around 30.

He's been a great bowler, comfortably England's best since I've watched cricket and he deserves his place at the top of the pile, if for no other reason than being a ****ing machine who just refuses to break down.