• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

we're yorkshire

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'd like to see him go back to county cricket and find some form. He clearly needs some time away to clear his head. I'd rather not have him as captain though, hes clearly not a natural leader and a poor tactician.
Cook has a big future as an England opener, but the pressure hes under is clearly causing negativity in both his captaincy and his batting.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Just read an article in Stuff.co.nz about Hoggard saying KP should be back in the side and England should just deal with it. Being a kiwi I can say we have been in a similar situation a couple of times with Chris Cairns and Jessi Ryder. Cairns was world class and he knew it. He could do what he liked but he always knew that NZ would never drop him because we had no one else. he was right. We didn't, Especially in the middle to late 90s. Cairns even walked out in the team during the WI tour in 96. He was back in the side for the very next home series. Jessi Ryder is alcoholic and was given many chances. The NZ public wanted him back and to hell with what the Blackcaps thought. Thankfully he was never selected for the world cup.
I personally think England should be rid of KP. His biography was asinine , he has attacked just about every player in the setup some still playing for England. Remember the players in the dressing room have to put up with this guy.Thoughts ??

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just read an article in Stuff.co.nz about Hoggard saying KP should be back in the side and England should just deal with it. Being a kiwi I can say we have been in a similar situation a couple of times with Chris Cairns and Jessi Ryder. Cairns was world class and he knew it. He could do what he liked but he always knew that NZ would never drop him because we had no one else. he was right. We didn't, Especially in the middle to late 90s. Cairns even walked out in the team during the WI tour in 96. He was back in the side for the very next home series. Jessi Ryder is alcoholic and was given many chances. The NZ public wanted him back and to hell with what the Blackcaps thought. Thankfully he was never selected for the world cup.
I personally think England should be rid of KP. His biography was asinine , he has attacked just about every player in the setup some still playing for England. Remember the players in the dressing room have to put up with this guy.Thoughts ??
Put it in the KP thread.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Question for WI posters:

Would you rather Smith played a match-saving (or possibly match-winning) innings (big daddy hundred) and becomes a guaranteed selection for the next 5 years, or he gets knocked over early, the WI lose heavily but find a better long-term opener?
I imagine a match saving innings would be Preferable. A win/draw would be pretty good for the team. Who else do they have to draw up.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Cook is still young. I back him to have a revival down the road. I don't think it is a coincidence that the loss of his batting form has coincided with the captaincy. English captaincy is one of the toughest tasks with constant analysis and criticisms bestowed upon you. Not every one can thrive under these circumstances.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
The treatment of Nick Compton was an absolute ****ing disgrace. The English selectors should be shot for the way they treated him (and the opening spot more generally) since Strauss retired. They've created a wheel of mediocrity these days, not because all the options suck (Compton would have been good, and Robson/Lees is the long-term answer IMO), but because they've taken an ultra-short term 'two bad Tests and you're out' mentality and never given anyone a chance to settle into that role.
Absolutely spot on. They had a very good option in Compton, Carberry also showed a lot of determination against Australia in hostile conditions, I don't knw why he wasn't considered after that series.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I'd like to see him go back to county cricket and find some form. He clearly needs some time away to clear his head. I'd rather not have him as captain though, hes clearly not a natural leader and a poor tactician.
Cook has a big future as an England opener, but the pressure hes under is clearly causing negativity in both his captaincy and his batting.
he's been back to county cricket during this slump and scored heavily. it doesn't make a difference to his game at international level.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see what you're saying but I don't think the situations are quite the same, as far as Cairns goes anyway. Cairns was relatively young and it was fairly clear he'd reigned himself in a bit plus his performances anf fitness were trending up. I'm a huge fan of the guy but KP can't do anything about his age and whether his attitude has shifted remains to be seen; being a dick is fine at elite level, most guys are, but being asking for extra license to do so means you owe the team in return.

Last edited: