• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India WC Thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, likely. Generally have more chance as an opener. Would be surprised if Kohli trumps him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dhoni admitting that for a long tour it was natural they lost intensity during ODI tri-series pre-World Cup.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Haha ok, I didn't take that possibility into consideration. I thought he wanted India to lose because he doesn't want Pak to meet them again. :p

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Jadeja and Rohit possible weak links going into knockouts. Dhoni should play Binny and open the batting with him against BD. He could make the same runs as Rohit (15-20 per match against decent team), but also could provide cover if one of the spinners have off days.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They really should play Binny, because the last time he played against them, this happened:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I somehow didn't remember this game ever happened (until I saw Bunny toping Viriya's bowler ratings).

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
For a change, not many changes are needed in the Indian XI, or rather, none at all. Most of it is in place. I do hope they don't change the pace unit, which is actually doing well. Umesh and Shami are bowling fast, getting good bounce, and good returns, while Mohit seems to be in the form of his life here in Australia. Let's hope they don't spoil that by getting in Binny (bit of a seam-up bowler and no more) or Bucky (less than a wicket a match in the last 12 months) in place of one of them.

What needs to be worked on, though, is spin bowling. Again, we're seeing batsmen build partnerships on the soft spin unit, although Ashwin is still providing cover against set batsmen and in the final overs. Jadeja, on the other hand, isn't much good when the cover is taken off, and the recent game against Zim shows that. He's the only one who's got poor figures after six games, although they've been swinging wildly with each game, at least with the ball. Both had a wake-up call, and as assured players in the XI, they need to tighten up, or rather, chip away more. Already Ashwin is chipping away more than a few.

With the bat, Jadders has been as productive as a typical Indian tailender. Ashwin has helped build partnerships with prominent batsmen, but never taken the lead. The Indians need to keep their top six intact for every game that follows, so that the bottom five isn't exposed. They're not quite there with their choice of all-rounder.

Keeping the top six intact will be tough with a soft spot at the top of the order. Rohit Sharma continues to struggle, with strike rate and big innings. That, in turn, has affected the top order partnerships, and one look at this chart will tell you they're running the wrong combination. A top-order failure is almost assured here, but the last game provided a serious scare, because they lost Kohli and Rahane too, and way too early. They need to swap places of Rohit and Rahane before it's too late- and they're not moving heaven and earth by doing that, as the Rahane-Dhawan combination is far more successful over the last year, and has also played more.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know, wouldn't want Rohit walking out when it is 60/2. Rahane gives some much needed stability to the middle order. Raina can't be counted on against good attacks. I would seriously look at Binny ahead of Jadeja for the QF though. His batting can't be worse, and bowling might be better.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nah jadeja's been alright and he's great for rushing through the middle overs. blink your eyes and the ****s finished his over. great for msd's damage control brand of captaincy.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Binny in for Jadeja is the only change I'd consider for India, and I'd change it straight back for the semi (assuming they won) unless the pitch conditions really suggested otherwise.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Jadeja hasn't been that bad actually, he's obviously the easiest guy to hit on a good pitch because of his limitations, but he wasn't helped by Dhoni who had some weird field placings in the last game which is really what let Taylor and Williams off the hook with not having any protection for those reverse sweeps early on and instead having Raina has a second wk basically which was useless.

Anyways its a useless discussion since we all know Dhoni's not gonna change the team lol.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I don't think Jadeja has been bad at all; it wouldn't be a performance-related change. Banking on twenty overs of spin is never ideal in Oceania to begin with though, and against Bangladesh specifically the gap between the quality of Binny's bowling and Jadeja's bowling pales into insignificance due to the strengths and weaknesses of the Bangladesh batsmen. I'd almost definitely swap them back for the semi if India won; it'd be horses for courses.