• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your New Zealand World Cup Squad if selected today...

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Even if we lose one of the next two games we'd still be top of the pool because of our NRR right?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'd go with:

1. Baz
2. Guptill
3. Big Daddy Cake (and his gold chain)
4. Taylor
5. Shunt
6. Anderson
7. God +
8. Vettori
9. 7outhee
10. Ol' Man River
11. McCleneneneneneneneghan

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Even if we lose one of the next two games we'd still be top of the pool because of our NRR right?
Well, if we drop one game and another gets rained out then we could be in trouble, so I certainly wouldn't encourage complacency. I don't see any reason to rest any of our bowlers. A week is a lot of R&R for an ODI, I really don't think they need more time off and I'd rather they stay in the rythym of bowling with the knock out stage looming. And again, given that the batsmen haven't covered themselves in glory so far, I think the more practice they get the better. The only exception is Vettori, whose frail body and mountains of experience means that giving him a rest against Afghanistan might be an idea. So the only change I'd have is NMac in for Sunday.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Btw, I take it there are probably tournament rules that prevent either of the hosts from arranging practice matches during the competition proper? Not that it would happen anyway, but I was just thinking that a NZ v NZA game in the week before the QF might be a good way to give the team some competitive match practice. A team of Latham, Brownlie, Redmond, Young, Ryder (har har), Neesham, Watling, NcCullum, Mills, Henry and McClenaghan would give the side a good challenge - especially our for our frontline batsmen.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'd go with:

1. Baz
2. Guptill
4. Taylor
5. Shunt
6. Anderson
7. God +
8. Vettori
9. 7outhee
10. Ol' Man River
Is Ronchi injured? Why is Devcich at 5?

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Btw, I take it there are probably tournament rules that prevent either of the hosts from arranging practice matches during the competition proper? Not that it would happen anyway, but I was just thinking that a NZ v NZA game in the week before the QF might be a good way to give the team some competitive match practice. A team of Latham, Brownlie, Redmond, Young, Ryder (har har), Neesham, Watling, NcCullum, Mills, Henry and McClenaghan would give the side a good challenge - especially our for our frontline batsmen.
They could transport the players secretly to PNG and play a couple of games there.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd go with:

1. Baz
2. Guptill
4. Taylor
5. Shunt
6. Anderson
7. God +
8. Vettori
9. 7outhee
10. Ol' Man River
I didn't realise we drafted in Watling

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was thinking about Watling at 5 as a pure batsman the other day. Saturday's low scoring chase would have been tailor-made for him.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well, if we drop one game and another gets rained out then we could be in trouble, so I certainly wouldn't encourage complacency. I don't see any reason to rest any of our bowlers. A week is a lot of R&R for an ODI, I really don't think they need more time off and I'd rather they stay in the rythym of bowling with the knock out stage looming. And again, given that the batsmen haven't covered themselves in glory so far, I think the more practice they get the better. The only exception is Vettori, whose frail body and mountains of experience means that giving him a rest against Afghanistan might be an idea. So the only change I'd have is NMac in for Sunday.

1) fear of injury (probably more so in the pre game warm up as that is where they often take place)
2) gives mills and mitch a run which would be handy should they be asked to play later in the tournament.

Surely Mitch and Mills are good enough to get afghanistan out. Especially Mitch. I see him causing problems. Mills will probably beat the bat ten times but they won't be good enough to nick him. Sorry if I sound derogatory towards the Afghan batting - they just seem the weakest of the associates in that department. I wouldn't make the same comments about resting bowlers against Zimbos (not that they are an associate but you get my point)

Flem274*

123/5
Afghanistan are good enough to at least frighten us but it will be with the ball. Definitely play all the normal top seven imo

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah nah. You overrate them soooo much. Bangladesh are far more of a risk to us than Afghanistan.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah nah. You overrate them soooo much. Bangladesh are far more of a risk to us than Afghanistan.
This is what I think too.

Bangers have about a 25% chance of beating us in Hamilton. I would give Afghanistan aa 2% chance despite their good bowling (and it is quality despite what Warner and Maxwell did to it tonight)

Athlai

Not Terrible
25% is far too much. This is our best looking ODI team ever. You'd expect Bangladesh to be 5-10% and I think I'm being more than fair there.

Flem274*

123/5
The Afghanistan comment just then had no relation to Bangers, just some respect to Afghanistan. If they can frighten Sri Lanka they can frighten us.

But for your benefit, Bangladesh are nothing. They always find a way to underwhelm away from home. They're sooks who have done two things in 15 years, one against West Indies Z. Zimbabwe the selectorial basket case with departures to CC every five seconds have done more during their decline. If Afghanistan had 15 years of top level cricket under their belts they would do more than Bangladesh.

Though with the game being in Hamilton we might get sharked by our own groundsman preparing a slow low turner again.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
25% is far too much. This is our best looking ODI team ever. You'd expect Bangladesh to be 5-10% and I think I'm being more than fair there.
Nah -its higher than 5-10%. Sure maybe 25% maybe a bit high but 5-10% is a bit low.

I reckon their new opening bowlers (shock horror Bangers have some bowlers apart from Shakib) will knock over Guptil and if they get to Ross early they may get him as well.

I will be impressed if we can score 300 against them (not blown away or have my socks knocked off) but just quietly impressed.

And I see their batsman as being easily good enough to post 240-260 against us, Admittedly not much more than that in our conditions but if I can find a site that will accept my bet before the game that they get more than 230 runs I am willing to put down a fair wad of cash on it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
And the second thing they did was thrash us. Which is why we are seeded 9th in this tournament. They have a better team than they did then too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nah -its higher than 5-10%. Sure maybe 25% maybe a bit high but 5-10% is a bit low.

I reckon their new opening bowlers (shock horror Bangers have some bowlers apart from Shakib) will knock over Guptil and if they get to Ross early they may get him as well.

I will be impressed if we can score 300 against them (not blown away or have my socks knocked off) but just quietly impressed.

And I see their batsman as being easily good enough to post 240-260 against us, Admittedly not much more than that in our conditions but if I can find a site that will accept my bet before the game that they get more than 230 runs I am willing to put down a fair wad of cash on it.
Reckon you are selling us short by 50 and them by 20.

Personally think we will thrash them due to our red hot form though. We are going to bowl every team out in this World Cup.

Flem274*

123/5
And the second thing they did was thrash us. Which is why we are seeded 9th in this tournament. They have a better team than they did then too.
our team prior to the 2011 wc was probably the worst we've fielded though. it's easy to point at the names on the scorecard and call it a good win but they were playing like ****.

plus victories on their anti-cricket pitches mean nothing.

they're weaklings. i don't really chest beat these days but NZ will blow them off the park. they have no heart and lose from every winning position they can. plus rahim is the most annoying player in world cricket. watching test matches in bangladesh can be summarised thus:

-spin bowling allrounder bowls ordinary ball onto slow low mud
-batsman interacts or not with the ball
-mushfiqur screams AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
-rinse and repeat for every ball of the innings