• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your New Zealand World Cup Squad if selected today...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
apparently it will rain in AKL, ha!
A rained-out affair would almost certainly guarantee NZ the top spot in Pool A. Although it is rare to have a complete wash-out in Auckland, even if we did have one recently.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
who are the aussies playing after Sat? If it rains out then AUS will have no game for 2+ weeks, best time to strike them!

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
So this is the official Black Caps CWC15 thread then?

If India are going to be as good as South Africa, then it hardly matters if the BCs finish first or second in their pool, as playing either side in a semifinal would be as tough as the other.

Not concerned about the different conditions in Aussie, we can't do anything other than to cross that bridge when we come to it. Thinking about the final was one reason we lost the 92 semifinal and let's not do that again.

Still feel that we're due a massive upset in this CWC. Hope it isn't the Bangas vs. us.

Zinzan

I am hoping we get a relativity easy quarter final, because I think we would have deserved that luxury if we do manage to top the group/pool.

After that, I really don't care who we play in the semis, whether it's SA, India or anyone else...Either way it should be tough at that stage.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Well it won't be India in the quarters, and as long as it isn't South Africa either I'll be happy with the fixture, which will likely be WI, Pakistan or Ireland. Ireland would be the best, then Pakistan, then WI.

The semifinal will be do or die but there's always the hope that we get SL or England thanks to an upset somewhere.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
So this is the official Black Caps CWC15 thread then?

If India are going to be as good as South Africa, then it hardly matters if the BCs finish first or second in their pool, as playing either side in a semifinal would be as tough as the other.

Not concerned about the different conditions in Aussie, we can't do anything other than to cross that bridge when we come to it. Thinking about the final was one reason we lost the 92 semifinal and let's not do that again.

Still feel that we're due a massive upset in this CWC. Hope it isn't the Bangas vs. us.
You are 100% right about the semi, if we make it, it will be against a difficult opposition.

I still think topping the pool is of great importance. If a qf or sf gets rained off the winner will be the highest ranked team from the group stage.

I rate the bangles quite a bit but id be a bit stunned if we lose to them at this world cup. Our bowlers will be way too good for them in our home conditions.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Fellas - wasn't sure where to post this....but there's a really good mini audio/podcast documentary the BBC did on Brendon McCullum.

It reflects on his younger days, his rugby prowess, the Taylor captaincy debacle & his amazing form in the last year...

Those contributing were an ex rugby team mate of McCullum's, Craig Cumming, Mark Richardson & then a typically delightful 10-15 minutes of Jeremy Coney on McCullum's captaincy at the end..

These BBC podcasts only last for 6 days or so, so download & listen to it when you get a chance.

Here is the link BBC - Podcasts and Downloads - Test Match Special and it's the 4th or 5th down...uploaded on Feb 28.

Enjoy ! Well worth a listen.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Now that I have a had a few days to digest the win. I think we can take some confidence away that our bowlers can knock over Australia on some occasions, not every time, just that it is possible. Just very quietly between me and the other Kiwi Posters only :ph34r: (yes I know other fans will read this) - Aussie may have screwed up by picking such an explosive batting line up. Clarke and Smith appear to be the only normal batsman in the line up. Even Watson when in form was someone who could build an innings when asked to but it wasn't his favourite mode of operation. I hope they do bring in Faulkner for Watson. All that said with Aussie's batting line up, I expect them to go past 450 in this tournament against a lesser team if they all click.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Aussie may have screwed up by picking such an explosive batting line up. Clarke and Smith appear to be the only normal batsman in the line up. Even Watson when in form was someone who could build an innings when asked to but it wasn't his favourite mode of operation. I hope they do bring in Faulkner for Watson. All that said with Aussie's batting line up, I expect them to go past 450 in this tournament against a lesser team if they all click.
I have a suspicion that Aussie is probably the best in the world at kicking the absolute snot out of weaker teams, but their all-firepower approach makes them weaker against teams with the better bowlers. But because only SA and NZ really have the bowlers good enough to overcome this, they win most of the time.

I thought of this when watching Warner bat against us. He dispatched a few rubbish balls but in general I thought he was a bit exposed. Finch, Watson, Maxwell likewise - can wreck weak bowling in no time but against Southee, Boult, Steyn, Morkel etc. I think they might get something of a wake-up.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Does Baz sit out of the Afghanistan game to give the other batsmen a chance to spend some time in the middle? What do you feel?

Here in India (and Aus, and elsewhere I imagine) the talk around NZ seems to be "McCullum won't come off every time, and apart from Williamson NZ's batting is extremely vulnerable." While it's not an unreasonable suggestion given how the last three games have gone, I think for Guptill, Taylor and co having the focus taken off them might actually work in their favour. Their dismissals have been heavily self-inflicted for the most part, and they just need to remember not to panic when the opposition is attacking them at all times (which is what they will be looking to do from now on no doubt).

Days of Grace

International Captain
Baz should sit out the next game. Not only goes it give Latham a bat, but it also gives Williamson a chance to captain, and puts the focus on the other batsmen to step up. I really hope we bat first on Sunday.

For the bowlers, I think we can make two or three changes there as well. These guys should get a run, just in case.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I would rotate the bowlers but keep baz in the line up unless his fore arm is badly injured. The more bowling he sees the better and if we are going to rest some bowlers would be helpful to have full strength batting.

Last edited:

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
I would rest BMac so his swelling and bruising has a proper chance to settle down so he'll be at 100% for the Bangladesh game; would replace him with Latham, but batting at 7 instead, and allow Williamson to open with Guptill, and every batsman moves up one so they get more time to bat, but still in their familiar chronicle order, plus Williamson has come in a few times in the first over before so it's no biggie, and Guptill is the one facing the first few balls so Kane will be fine.

I feel there's no point for Latham to open, say if he hits a century then that means other guys miss out on real-game batting practice and Latham's not going to replace any of them anyway unless there's an injury.

Bowlers I would keep Milne and open with Mills and Mitch from Aotearoa, and NMac for Dan, just for insurance in case someone gets injured. Southee probably needs to rest his bruised shoulder blade anyway.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I would rotate the bowlers but keep baz in the line up unless his fore arm is badly injured. The more bowling he sees the better and if we are going to rest some bowlers would be helpful to have full strength batting.
Yeah, the captain plays every game in a tournament like this unless his arms have fallen off. McCullum would definitely see it as a weak move to miss a game unless physically incapacitated. Lead from the front.

Perhaps rest a bowler or two against Afghanistan and give Mills/McC some game time, before going back to the A-team bowling attack for the match against Bangladesh leading into the quarter finals.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd sooner rest a couple of guys against bang than Afghanistan. Bowler in for soythee and that's it. The minnows are good