• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your New Zealand World Cup Squad if selected today...

illmatic

Cricket Spectator
Guptill
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Elliott
Anderson
Ronchi
Vettori
Boult
Southee
Milne/McClenghan/Mills.. pick them according to the pitch

Truthfully speaking if i had my way, i would have Henry Boult and Southee.. For the english test matches too..

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure where to post this, but Baz just won Sportsman of the Year! Fantastic result for cricket in NZ.

EDIT: And moment of the year too.

Last edited:

Zinzan

So chaps, I know we've earmarked them all as opening options, but what are the chances we end up seeing the attack of Southee, Mills & Boult (at first-change) come the business end of the tournament?

Days of Grace

International Captain
So chaps, I know we've earmarked them all as opening options, but what are the chances we end up seeing the attack of Southee, Mills & Boult (at first-change) come the business end of the tournament?
You could open with Mills and Boult, rotate Mills out after 3 of his overs for Southee, then bring back Mills for his final 7 overs after Boult.

I think we did something very similar against either Sri Lanka or Pakistan.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Maybe they are saving that combo for KO games, not showing our hands yet.
I think they're pretty confident in that XI. Mills may play over Boult depending on the team, and maybe Milne will go out against the South African/Australian teams if swing is unlikely. But otherwise thats the first XI.

Zinzan

So is Milne under any pressure for the 3rd seamers spot?

I'd be really tempted to play the seam attack of Mills, Boult & Southee vs. the Aussies at Eden Park.

For me, if Milne is only bowling 140-144kms, he shouldn't be there...his shock value is when he's getting it though at 145-153. 140-144 won't bother the Aussies one bit & on a slowish wicket, might actually play into their hands.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Might stick Mitch for Milne on a slow wicket, I am beginning to doubt them pushing Boult back to first change...

Zinzan

Might stick Mitch for Milne on a slow wicket, I am beginning to doubt them pushing Boult back to first change...
The thing about having Mills, Southee & Boult all in the same side is it doesn't matter so much who actually opens. If you start with Mills & Southee & Mills isn't getting much swing, then you can bring Boult on after 2-3 overs or vice versa. Provided you get 8-10 overs out of MIlls before the 35th over.

Flem274*

123/5
Eden Park has pretty decent pace and bounce and swing.

Milne hasn't bowled badly but he hasn't cemented his place either. Against Bangladesh I'd give Mitch, Mills and Milne some much needed game time and see what happens. I don't want us to take Bangladesh lightly but tbh if our depth is as good as we keep telling everyone it is then the attack above should be fine.

Howsie

International Captain
So is Milne under any pressure for the 3rd seamers spot?

I'd be really tempted to play the seam attack of Mills, Boult & Southee vs. the Aussies at Eden Park.

For me, if Milne is only bowling 140-144kms, he shouldn't be there...his shock value is when he's getting it though at 145-153. 140-144 won't bother the Aussies one bit & on a slowish wicket, might actually play into their hands.
I've figured it out, your the old ****s mother yes?

Zinzan

I've figured it out, your the old ****s mother yes?
Nah, I'm just a bloke who wants NZ to give themselves the very best chance of winning games, regardless of whether the personnel comes from Northern Districts, Auckland or where-ever.

Just the best players on merit for me thanks.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Eden Park has pretty decent pace and bounce and swing.

Milne hasn't bowled badly but he hasn't cemented his place either. Against Bangladesh I'd give Mitch, Mills and Milne some much needed game time and see what happens. I don't want us to take Bangladesh lightly but tbh if our depth is as good as we keep telling everyone it is then the attack above should be fine.
That game is probably the most dangerous game for NZ, f*cked if we drop that one, and we chose to play it at a ground that suits the Asian teams.

The thing about having Mills, Southee & Boult all in the same side is it doesn't matter so much who actually opens. If you start with Mills & Southee & Mills isn't getting much swing, then you can bring Boult on after 2-3 overs or vice versa. Provided you get 8-10 overs out of MIlls before the 35th over.
That makes sense and I think on current form Boult seems to do better in the mid overs than opening, but based on what I have seen so far, I don't think Hessen and BMac will break up the Southee/Boult bromance.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Nah, I'm just a bloke who wants NZ to give themselves the very best chance of winning games, regardless of whether the personnel comes from Northern Districts, Auckland or where-ever.

Reminds me of the good old days when we Canterbury fans hate the sight of King Carlos in the black jersey while Merhts sits on the bench, and laughed at Carlos when he missed five goals vs SA in the disastrous 98 campaign, while the Auckland fans claim Mehrts is no angel in fact a devil when he fingered the Bulls fans after kicking a match winning drop goal...

...now I live in Hamilton and support both McCaw's boys and Aaron's boys...people grow up and embrace whoever serve our nation and do us proud eh, otherwise weed up like India, England, AUS, with all the off-field gossip and crap that destroy themselves.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain

You're not picking on merit though, you're picking on reputation. This isn't 2007 anymore, Mills isn't the same bowler he once was and wouldn't be anywhere near as effective as Milne in all probability will be at some point.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You're not picking on merit though, you're picking on reputation. This isn't 2007 anymore, Mills isn't the same bowler he once was and wouldn't be anywhere near as effective as Milne in all probability will be at some point.
It's not 2007 anymore but it's not 2019 yet either.

Zinzan

Reminds me of the good old days when we Canterbury fans hate the sight of King Carlos in the black jersey while Merhts sits on the bench, and laughed at Carlos when he missed five goals vs SA in the disastrous 98 campaign, while the Auckland fans claim Mehrts is no angel in fact a devil when he fingered the Bulls fans after kicking a match winning drop goal...

...now I live in Hamilton and support both the McCaw's boys and Aaron's boys...people grow up and embrace whoever serve our nation and do us proud eh.
The funny thing is in spite of the fact I'm an obsessive NZ cricket fan, I've honestly never really given a toss about NZ domestic cricket in terms of which team wins.

I've always been more interested in watching/following domestic cricket with the bigger eye on the national side & watching those players staking a claim for national honours.

Even with rugby, I don't really care about the domestic stuff much, provided the team wearing a Black jersey wins. I swear some Canterbury supporters care more about the red & black jersey than the plain black one, something I've never been able to relate to.

I think it's a function of being born in Christchurch, but living in Auckland for the majority of my life. I think many Aucklander's are the same...