• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There is no way McGrath belongs in the best fielding team.
I always thought as an outfielder he was good.

Lee was very good, always thought Merv was a good outfielder too.

Dean Jones was a legend on the boundary. Super fast and a rocket arm.

Red

Well I have seen all sorts of elevens made up up on this thread so I decided to make one up of the best Fielders that I have seen. NOT necessarily in batting order

Jonty Rhodes
Colin Bland
Ricky Ponting
Rohan Kanhai
Clive LLoyd
Bob Simpson
Colin Cowdrey
Wes Hall
Norm O'neill
Don Tallon(Keeper)
Keith Miller
I'll offer up an XI of fielders to play you....

Gordon Greenidge (slip)
Mark Waugh (slip)
Viv Richards (cover/slip)
Allan Border (mid wicket)
AB DeVillers (anywhere/point)
Andrew Symonds (anywhere)
Ian Botham (anywhere/slip)
Ian Healy (wk)
Heath Streak (boundary)
Merv Hughes (boundary)
Joel Garner (gully)

Red

Worst Fielders XI

Saurav Ganguly
Curtly Ambrose (prob not that bad but often looked like he CBFd)
Devon Malcolm
Phil Tufnell
Tim May

JBMAC

State Captain
There is no way McGrath belongs in the best fielding team.
And your alternative is.....................?

I'll offer up an XI of fielders to play you....

Gordon Greenidge (slip)
Mark Waugh (slip)
Viv Richards (cover/slip)
Allan Border (mid wicket)
AB DeVillers (anywhere/point)
Andrew Symonds (anywhere)
Ian Botham (anywhere/slip)
Ian Healy (wk)
Heath Streak (boundary)
Merv Hughes (boundary)
Joel Garner (gully)
And you have seen them all play?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
And your alternative is.....................?
I honestly think I could compile a list of 75 Test Cricketers who I rate above McGrath.

But hey, I do feel as though Pidge improved his fielding during his career and that has to be worth something.

JBMAC

State Captain
I honestly think I could compile a list of 75 Test Cricketers who I rate above McGrath.

But hey, I do feel as though Pidge improved his fielding during his career and that has to be worth something.
His fielding IMPO has always been a high standard from the outfield in particular and his returns are accurate right over the stumps PLUS in an eleven mentioned prior/alternative who else has taken as many Test wickets?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I appreciate that you didn't see him before the war when he was at his best JB, but from what you did see how good a fielder was The Don?

JBMAC

State Captain
I appreciate that you didn't see him before the war when he was at his best JB, but from what you did see how good a fielder was The Don?
I think the best description was he was more than adequate. I don't recall him fielding any great distance from the wicket. I vaguely recall him in the slips ,gully and mid off/on.

watson

Banned
I quite like this curious fact involving Hobbs and Bradman which I found while looking up fielding stats;

It is nevertheless remarkable, in the face of modern careers that run to double or triple the number of Tests, to see Jack Hobbs firmly entrenched at the top. Hobbs was still running out batsmen from cover well into his forties; you would think that batsmen would learn. At a critical stage of the Adelaide Test of 1928/29, Hobbs became the only player to run Don Bradman out in a Test match. He was returning a favour: Bradman was the only fieldsman to run Hobbs out; in Brisbane earlier in the series, and later at Headingley in 1930. Contemporary reports suggest that Hobbs was expert at foxing batsmen, running at the ball at just the speed that would tempt the batsmen into attempting a run, then swooping.

http://www.sportstats.com.au/runoutsarticlejune2012.html
Incidently, Hobbs total of 19 Test match run outs (non-wicketkeepers) puts him at No.1 in the all-time list. And his rate of 3.11 run outs per 10 Tests puts him on a near par with the likes of Colin Bland who achieved a rate of 3.33.

The Kiwi Chris Harris has the highest rate of any fieldsman with 4.78 run outs per 10 Tests. Apparently not a bad 12th man to have.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
I'd still stand by Collingwood. A glance at the most catches ever (from: Records | Test matches | Fielding records | Most catches in career | ESPN Cricinfo) puts Colly quite far down the list (a list in fairness which only counts the 50 or so highest catch takers), but with his 95 catches, only four people ahead of him in terms of total catches took more per innings (SP Fleming, MA Taylor, RB Simpson, LRPL Taylor). However, catching statistics' use for judging a fielder is a topic worth debating sometime, because how much is due to where the fielders are placed etc? However, Collingwood took some of the best catches ever which leaves a lasting impression, for instance see below . I recall Symonds being a great fielder, but I don't remember him being better than Collingwood. Maybe judging fielders is too subjective because there's few occasions when we can statistically prove one fielder was better than another in the same way we can say Brian Lara was better than Ashley Giles at batting.

In a few years, I reckon we maybe talking about David Warner in these sorts of discussions.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An Eleven To Represent England

WG Grace
Sir Jack Hobbs

Sir Len Hutton
Ken Barrington
Wally Hammond
Ted Dexter/Dennis Compton/Kevin Pietersen

Alan Knott

Harold Larwood
John Snow
Sydney Barnes
Fred Trueman

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
Grace as an opener? don't know too much about him except for his reputation, but Bradman picked him in the middle order of his Pommy team

I've picked the two teams from players I've seen live. For ODIS

Best
A Gilchrist (wk)
S Jayasuriya
J Kallis
V Kohli
K Pietersen
Y Singh
MS Dhoni (c)
S Pollock
S Bond
G McGrath
M Muralidaran

Second Best
V Sehwag
M Hayden
K Williamson
K Sangakkara
M Bevan
A Symonds
L Klusener
S Warne
B Lee
C Vaas
A Donald

Bevan should replace KP, right? I'm just concerned about having a #5 (or 6 if Yuvi moves up) who's strike rate is 75ish. Same with Kallis, except there's no other obvious candidate for his spot (Williamson is too early in his career). Bond or Donald is pretty even so opted for Bondy as he's a Kiwi. Wasn't sure on Vaas in my second XI - came close to choosing Malinga or Akhtar instead

Gowza

U19 12th Man
ODI XI

Amla
Tendulkar
Kohli
De villiers
Hussey
Dhoni
Wasim
Garner
Bond
McGrath
Murali

Klusener, pollock and shakib all close but opted for the better bowling over the extra batting. Maybe Viv for Hussey. For bowlers who just miss donald, waqar, lee, saqlain and warne.

Last edited: