• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

Athlai

Not Terrible
They all bowled crap yesterday, even Henry.
Milne bowled a good line but his express pace didn't hurry up dilshan at all. Could've walked all over a lesser player. Boult was average, his third spell was okay, I think he may have death potential but was walked all over by Henry.

Nccullum and Vettori were okay too. Anderson still looking useful.

The bowling definitely wasn't why we lost that game. Our batting was absolutely **** house.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They all bowled crap yesterday, even Henry.
Tbf, that was a slow deck which negated our pace bowlers to some extent. A wicket that was always going suit the Sri Lankans more than us, exacerbated by the fact we gifted them half our wickets.

In spite of this, I thought Henry bowled well.

I get why they're playing Henry in some of these warm-ups considering he's the no.1 back-up, but for many of us it was always going to be a 'tease' knowing he's a better 'white-ball' option than Boult, and merely saying 'we told you so' doesn't make it any better.

Quite depressing really, but it is what it is.

Zinzan

Milne bowled a good line but his express pace didn't hurry up dilshan at all. Could've walked all over a lesser player. Boult was average, his third spell was okay, I think he may have death potential but was walked all over by Henry.

Nccullum and Vettori were okay too. Anderson still looking useful.

The bowling definitely wasn't why we lost that game. Our batting was absolutely **** house.
Agree, even though it was a tad slow, with the speed of the outfield and the short boundaries, was probably a 290-300 par wicket.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I get why they're playing Henry in some of these warm-ups considering he's the no.1 back-up, but for many of us it was always going to be a 'tease' knowing he's a better 'white-ball' option than Boult, and merely saying 'we told you so' doesn't make it any better.
'Perhaps' I agree that you're right, at least in 'this case'.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I think the Hamilton ODI provided a good illustration of NZ's biggest weakness in limited overs cricket, namely the tendency to collectively brain-fade and collapse in a heap when just a little pressure gets applied. This was mostly unseen in the series against India and Pakistan last year because a) KW and Taylor delivered practically every game and would hold the innings together and b) neither of those sides bowled particularly well (in terms of building pressure). The two ODIs against South Africa, and that World T20 game where Herath delivered that ridiculously good spell were good pointers to what NZ should be guarding against. In that sense, Hamilton was probably a good wake-up call.

The talk about the conditions having suited Sri Lanka more is interesting given that NZ have played Sri Lanka in Lanka so often in the last 4-5 years. Would expect the side to adapt better, but then again the batsmen largely brought it on themselves, 248 was way under par. Guptill and Latham both missed out on a serious opportunity to spend time out in the middle considering all they needed to do was bat alongside BMac.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
I think the Hamilton ODI provided a good illustration of NZ's biggest weakness in limited overs cricket, namely the tendency to collectively brain-fade and collapse in a heap when just a little pressure gets applied. This was mostly unseen in the series against India and Pakistan last year because a) KW and Taylor delivered practically every game and would hold the innings together and b) neither of those sides bowled particularly well (in terms of building pressure). The two ODIs against South Africa, and that World T20 game where Herath delivered that ridiculously good spell were good pointers to what NZ should be guarding against. In that sense, Hamilton was probably a good wake-up call.

The talk about the conditions having suited Sri Lanka more is interesting given that NZ have played Sri Lanka in Lanka so often in the last 4-5 years. Would expect the side to adapt better, but then again the batsmen largely brought it on themselves, 248 was way under par. Guptill and Latham both missed out on a serious opportunity to spend time out in the middle considering all they needed to do was bat alongside BMac.
I don't necessarily think the pitch suited SL more, it just suited them more than our other international pitches. Take bmacs innings away and we had two passengers ( Latham / Guptill ) Taylor who looks desperately out of touch and Vettori batting too high for his current abilities.
The running was dire but I don't think that will happen again for a long time, it really should be easy to solve. Dilshan scored all his world cup runs the other day I'm going to pick him in my draft team and that will take care of him haha.

I hope Guptill and Taylor play every game from now on they need time in the middle.

Last edited:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I don't necessarily think the pitch suited SL more, it just suited them more than our other international pitches. Take bmacs innings away and we had two passengers ( Latham / Guptill ) Taylor who looks desperately out of touch and Vettori batting too high for his current abilities.
The running was dire but I don't think that will happen again for a long time, it really should be easy to solve. Dilshan scored all his world cup runs the other day I'm going to pick him in my draft team and that will take care of him haha.

I hope Guptill and Taylor play every game from now on thay need time in the middle.
he's like a fine whisky, maturing with age !! he has been in great form in the last year- apart from his running which is always an impending run out...

Athlai

Not Terrible
Interesting to see Henry stay in, I know theres a lot of ODIs to come but you'd think giving Milne another would probably be worthwhile.

Zinzan

Don't mind that we lost the toss today tbh, we need to bat & bat well to bounce back from the debacle of Thursday.

_Ed_

Glorious from McCullum. Hope he can maintain this amazing form for a couple more months. Too much to ask?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Whatever happened to Guptill's awesome lofted straight drives? Seems like an age since I last saw one.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Glorious from McCullum. Hope he can maintain this amazing form for a couple more months. Too much to ask?
The 300 seems to have given him ultimate confidence in his batting.

Must admit I never really thought he could bat to this level, particularly at this consistency.

It's block bashing but pretty much as good as you get for block bashing. Solid defense and controlled aggression. If it continues through the WC, it'll be hard to keep us out of the finals.