• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Welcome to Cricket Web - Cricket Chat

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Welcome to the forum guys!

That being said, Dhoni_183*, your point about Dhoni's method of playing swing bowling as being a positive confounds me.

sscomp32

Cricket Spectator
Hi Guys. A Massive Cricket fan Here.I Joined few days ago too. Looking forward to some good discussions during the world Cup and ODI series. Generally i am a reader and post less. A Huge fast of Fast bowling especially in test Cricket.
@Dhoni_183, Your signature fits with me too perfectly. I started watching around the same time and a big MSD fan myself too.

Spark

Global Moderator
was it that test where sachin got 148 and steyn was bowling ridiculous outswingers where everyone went "he's gonna nick off to third slip here" and literally the first over steyn bowled at him

or maybe that was broad in england

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
That Styen one was the first in a streak that went through England and carried on in Australia, where he just used to slash it to 3rd slip every time he faced a new pill.

Dhoni_183*

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Welcome to the forum guys!

That being said, Dhoni_183*, your point about Dhoni's method of playing swing bowling as being a positive confounds me.
Well he used it in England with success, scored half centuries down the order. Nasser Hussain commented on how everyone was playing Anderson late but Dhoni's impact points were much in front but it worked for him. He found what worked for him and played the ball before it swings much. Also shuffle to off stump so he didn't have to worry about nicking to slip with that nothing shot he is sometimes guilty of. He also lets the ball hit him at times and the bowler looks confused, this way no chance of getting out ducking or using the bat :cool:

Last edited:

Dhoni_183*

Hi Guys. A Massive Cricket fan Here.I Joined few days ago too. Looking forward to some good discussions during the world Cup and ODI series. Generally i am a reader and post less. A Huge fast of Fast bowling especially in test Cricket.
@Dhoni_183, Your signature fits with me too perfectly. I started watching around the same time and a big MSD fan myself too.
Ah nice one bro! Look forward to talking to you in those ODI/WC threads.

Dhoni_183*

was it that test where sachin got 148 and steyn was bowling ridiculous outswingers where everyone went "he's gonna nick off to third slip here" and literally the first over steyn bowled at him

Absolute gem of an innings that was.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

The worst one was in Trentbridg. Yuvraj had just got out and Dravid was at the other end looking as unbreachable as a dam. As soon as Dhoni came in, we knew what was going to happen because England had just taken the new ball a few overs ago. Duly nicked off pretty much immediately.

Spark

Global Moderator
The worst one was in Trentbridg. Yuvraj had just got out and Dravid was at the other end looking as unbreachable as a dam. As soon as Dhoni came in, we knew what was going to happen because England had just taken the new ball a few overs ago. Duly nicked off pretty much immediately.
haha that was magnificent

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Well he used it in England with success, scored half centuries down the order. Nasser Hussain commented on how everyone was playing Anderson late but Dhoni's impact points were much in front but it worked for him. He found what worked for him and played the ball before it swings much. Also shuffle to off stump so he didn't have to worry about nicking to slip with that nothing shot he is sometimes guilty of. He also lets the ball hit him at times and the bowler looks confused, this way no chance of getting out ducking or using the bat :cool:
They were doing the right thing by playing late; they just sucked at actually doing it well.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Admittedly those jammy Dhoni innings where he knows he can't actually bat properly without nicking to third slip, so he instead walks over the place and makes no batting sense whatsoever are always entertaining to watch. Not for the right reasons, mind you, but it's always funny to see the bowlers getting frustrated at it, and then Dhoni getting out in a hilariously random manner that makes him look wholly inept.