• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Man, I said it at the beginning and I'll say it again, it is very difficult to play orthodox shots on this pitch. It's sticky as can get.

thierry henry

International Coach
Could Blocky have been onto something? The way Taylor is batting and running right now is kinda weird.

On a related but not identical note, he has been batting this way in ODIs for a couple of years now and has had decent results but it still bugs me. He has seemed intent on getting 25(50) and then hoping he will accelerate. I just don't understand why 25(50) is ever ok when 25(35) or 25(40) exists. It all seems to have corresponded with his great test form last summer, and a horrible slump in his T20 form. On a micro-level, when he tries to smash a 6 now he just seems to be vastly less likely to hit it in the middle than a few years ago.

vic_orthdox made a comment recently about how the way Taylor dropped a catch seemed to suggest that his vision had deteriorated and maybe he should be wearing contacts. That would honestly explain a lot.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On a related but not identical note, he has been batting this way in ODIs for a couple of years now and has had decent results but it still bugs me. He has seemed intent on getting 25(50) and then hoping he will accelerate. I just don't understand why 25(50) is ever ok when 25(35) or 25(40) exists.
Think most of us are with you on that aspect.

Trying too hard to emulate his Test game for mine even if he did score that patch of ODI tons last year.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
His batting in ODI's in the last year would suggest that Taylor isn't experiencing anything other than a ridiculous purple patch:

628 runs at an average of 89 and a strike rate of 84.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So I guess our worst nightmare now is a game which sees Guptill & Taylor face only 50 deliveries each with McCullum failing.... 123/5 after 35 overs written all over it. :dry:

Adgey

School Boy/Girl Captain
You guys are being a bit ridiculous, this innings of his was crap yes but saying hes been bad for a while is absurd. He averaged 66 last year with a 88 SR which is fine.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
His batting in ODI's in the last year would suggest that Taylor isn't experiencing anything other than a ridiculous purple patch:

628 runs at an average of 89 and a strike rate of 84.
Yeah. Doesn't deserve criticism quite so vehement as today. Thought he played a good support role to Brendon, but wasn't able to pick it up afterward. Oh well, these are essentially warmup matches. No need to despair.