• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Who would you prefer? There doesn't seem to be anyone else and Latham has the look of a quality batsman.

I could perhaps see Munro at 5 but it feels like a bit too much icing.
This may be true, but that makes it all the more frustrating when he repeatedly plays daft shots to get out for low scores. The fact that he now has passed 30 only twice after 17 games is deeply concerning. At least even Brownlie and Devcich have managed to get some decent starts in their aborted careers so far.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
You were right ftr. NZ slang?
Edit: Most likely candidate is tutu - macron over the second u. It kinda means to be cheeky.

There are a few other candidates though. E.g. Titoi - to masturbate.

Probably a bit of an amalgamation.
Could be an amalgamation

The word is definitely pronounced Tittoo. And colloquially means to have a somewhat unecessary play around with something (Definition for PEWS). Some kids use it at primary school. Very rarely used by adults.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This may be true, but that makes it all the more frustrating when he repeatedly plays daft shots to get out for low scores. The fact that he now has passed 30 only twice after 17 games is deeply concerning. At least even Brownlie and Devcich have managed to get some decent starts in their aborted careers so far.

It is concerning but it's not the easiest position to bat. In fact I think it's one of the most difficult. You're on a hiding to nothing in that there's not much chance to make a big score and you also have to look after rebuilding and judge the pacing of the innings. There have been a few occasions when he's come in at 5/6 and had to do a rebuilding job, done decently while wickets have fallen at the other end, and then yeah, lost his wicket after looking pretty solid.

I definitely agree that he hasn't taken his opportunity as yet but I strongly doubt whether anyone else would have done better. Watling is a good shout but there's no one else in the country that's legitimately a better limited overs batsman than Latham. Elliott is rightfully the only other shout, perhaps Munro - neither of them are better than Latham except for the fact that they know their own games very well.

tl:dr: young batsman fails to deliver in difficult role. The competition would more than likely have failed too.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Unless he's in after 40 overs the role of the #5 is to rotate the strike and pick up as many twos as he can to set the game up imo.

Latham isn't really a nurdler, which is why he should open if he plays.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Unless he's in after 40 overs the role of the #5 is to rotate the strike and pick up as many twos as he can to set the game up imo.

Latham isn't really a nurdler, which is why he should open if he plays.
He's pretty good at rotating the strike.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Any ideas what Brendan McCullum was saying to Sennanayake when he was out stumped? He seemed to also gesture with his hand.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Who would you prefer? There doesn't seem to be anyone else and Latham has the look of a quality batsman.

I like Corey at 5, based on playing on smaller NZ grounds. If we were playing in Australia, I might have a bit more love for a guy like Latham. As it is, I'm happy with a guy who can get off strike, and can make up for the times he doesn't by accessing the boundary on smaller grounds. He wouldn't have that leeway at the G, Gabba, Perth etc.

At 30-3, yeah he's not your man (Corey). But the four above him have more than enough ability to ensure that doesn't happen.

Grant can do the job, but he'll have to show it by the 7th ODI or he's not getting a gig.

I love Manu but he's probably a 6 at best, and really needs his bowling to get reselected.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Any ideas what Brendan McCullum was saying to Sennanayake when he was out stumped? He seemed to also gesture with his hand.
Hehe, I saw that too, I think it was a less than subtle gesture to show that McCullum doesn't think that much of Senanayake's reformed action.

jcas0167

International Debutant

It's a shame Broom never really secured that spot.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Random comments that may or may not be on topic

1) as bad as Elliot may or may not be just through the laws of probability he will come off 2-3 times over these 7 games.
2) Latham needs to perform soon
3) as mentioned already they should trial nmac at 7 for a game. We have an abundance of international standard bowlers and a dirth of international standard batsman. Let's shape the balance of the team around our strengths instead of using the team balance every other team does.
4) I hope they use Milne sparingly in this series and that Henry gets a decent go in multiple games for workload management reasons. Wouldn't even mind Bennett getting a game. 7 meaningless games is just asking for injuries to happen.

5) without Kane plAying we could get dicked in a few games. Ross had better play soon.
6) Brendon's 50 did win the game in as much as any 50 can win you a game. Ideally he would have scored more but 50 from opening the batting means more than 50 from number 5. Because an opener sets the tone and momentum for the inning.

jcas0167

International Debutant
N McCullum at 7 does appeal, he's got a good strike rate, reasonable average & has batted in that position a dozen or so times already in ODI's (he's actually batted at 6 and once 5, although that was against Canada). Presumably, Vettori would then slot in at number 8.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Better than no cake and no icing though isn't it? Latham hasn't proved to be either in his ODI career to date, so yes, I'd much rather Munro's 'icing' if it were my choice.

The problem is we're stuck with Latham now which really is rather depressing, and even more so if he ends up anywhere in the final XI come the WC proper.

Far and away our worst selection & I would have been a lot more inquisitive with Edgar than Doull was in that interview.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Better than no cake and no icing though isn't it? Latham hasn't proved to be either in his ODI career to date, so yes, I'd much rather Munro's 'icing' if it were my choice.

The problem is we're stuck with Latham now which really is rather depressing, and even more so if he ends up anywhere in the final XI come the WC proper.

Far and away our worst selection & I would have been a lot more inquisitive with Edgar than Doull was in that interview.
Ridiculous post.

Icing.

Cake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oaLv3sU0R8

Fine to say he hasn't done much in his career as yet but he's very clearly the most talented batsman in the country who's not already firmly entrenched in the side. Fair enough if you want to pick the Elliotts or Munros or players that will do a job but Latham is covering wicket keeper plus the whole top order and he's doing that because he's a damn fine player.