• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your New Zealand World Cup Squad if selected today...

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Which is why social media should have a torch taken to it unless you have an IQ of <50 or can prove you have a clue. As Flem rightly said, Joe Knows****all only sees that he's 35 and bowls 125.
These are the same people who stopped supporting when we got bowled out for 45 and suddenly now are the #1 fans of the TelstraClear Black Caps.

vandem

International 12th Man
My prediction:

Neesham in, Elliott + Brownlie unlucky. I'd pick Elliott as the backup batsman, but think Hesson and BMac are big on the "team is greater than individual" thing so Neesham stays in the group, even though he isn't the 6th best ODI batsman in NZ.

Mills in. Experience, leadership, proven ability on NZ pitches.

Boult in. Two reasons: (1) "Team is greater than individual", and Boult is part of the core team. (2) Boult can rip out the top order in both red ball and white ball cricket. The only reason he didn't play ODIs in UAE was that he needed resting before the SL test series.

Milne + McClenaghan in, Henry unlucky. Henry is too similar to Southee + Mills. Milne offers something different in middle overs, was very hard to hit in UAE.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have really liked for him to actually play the ODIs in the UAE so I could make up my mind
Nah well the quicker the pitch, in theory Boult should get away with a lot more of his stuff that's slightly short and too straight. Very few of his ODIs have really put that aspect to the test, where every delivery benefits from his seam presentation, and even his straighter stuff is cannoning into the thigh pad at pace. The grounds where it would've been ideal to see him play a game or two before this squad naming would've probably been Eden Park and on the fast new pitch at Hamilton.

I have actually heard ND's CEO wants to use their old faithful clay at Hamilton in the WC itself. He said that in white ball cricket, the Waikari clay has been so consistently good for runfests. Bangladesh happy to hear it.

Blocky

Banned
Boult's issue in ODI Cricket is like quite a few swing bowlers to be honest, against the right handers he's swinging in towards their pads which is a natural hitting arc in the one day game and means that a lot of players can clear their hip and swing through the line. Against the left handers, he's swinging away from them which is beautiful when they're coming forward to try and defend but when they're throwing the bat at him they'll get thicker edges and go over the slips for four, etc.

He hasn't shown an amazing ability to hit lengths under pressure, particularly the yorker.

I think it's a case of the things making him superb for test cricket counting against him in ODI Cricket, too much a line and length bowler.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just don't understand Boult not playing any of the ODI's in the UAE if he was always likely.

Apart from his selection over Henry, I'm reasonably happy I suppose.

Also thought Tom Latham is very lucky given he hasn't performed in ODIs to date & not disappointed with Elliott's selection.

MAD MAX

Cricket Spectator
Batters:

BMac
Taylor
Williamson
Guptill
Ronchi
Latham

Bowlers:

Vettori
Nmac

Southee
McClenaghan
Milne
MIlls
Boult

Allrounders:

Elliot
Anderson

Athlai

Not Terrible
Good team. Neesham hard done by but we can't play both and Elliott offers better backup than he does.

Zinzan

Rubbish coverage from the TV one stream in that we can't hear the bloody questions being asked ffs

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
A well informed typewriter. Only selection it got wrong was Elliot for Neesham.
Fair. But yeah, Boult's selection must be purely based on Test form and the odd T20 foray. Henry very, very unlucky. Much better record than Milne.

Jimmy, I'm surprised with but it's a bold selection based on figures - so I like it. Grant has proven himself to be a very canny cricketer this season whereas Jimmy is still learning his game, and I think his lack of a radar with the ball probably cost him as much as anything. They won't feel like they can trust him.

Top XI? I forget whether Brendon said he was going to open or not.

I'd have McCullum B, Gup, Kane, Taylor, Anderson, Ronchi, NcCullum, Vettori, Southee, Mills, McClenaghan. Substitute NcCullum for Elliot dependent on conditions.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Given the way Henry bowled and looked in the UAE I'm quite shocked that he didn't make the 15.

His performances in the UAE obviously didn't count for much then.

Zinzan

Given the way Henry bowled and looked in the UAE I'm quite shocked that he didn't make the 15.

His performances in the UAE obviously didn't count for much then.
Agree, such a tease. He gets his chance, nails it & then a guy who doesn't even need to play with a rubbish ODI record in 10 matches cruises in. Boult must be pinching himself.