• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

andmark

International Captain
What about Rusev, Ziggler, Rollins and Ambrose? They have all been given great pushes this year. It's not only towards the top of the card we're seeing this either. Opportunities are being given to loads of performers at the moment - look at all the guys in the tag team division at the moment.
Yeah, that's a fair point, not to mention the eventual arrival of Zayn et al. Just feels two steps forwatd, one step back. Maybe the two steps make it worth seeing

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not having a full-time WWE champion is a bit lame, I will concede that point. But on the whole things are fresher they have been for the best part of a decade. What we have at the moment is a pool of talent that is made up nearly entirely of really good up-and-coming talents, which is supplemented by a couple of guys who are more or less in their prime (Cena, Orton, Lesnar) and others who - though some are part-time and past their peak - are old pros and/or bona fide megastars (HHH, Sting, Rock, Jericho, Big Show, Mark Henry, Kane, Christian, Truth).

It might not at present have the star power of years gone by, but it's a really good time to be watching the E on the whole for mine. As a wrestling fan if you can't get excited about that, I don't really know what would excite you.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The above is even more impressive given the amount of really high profile guys the roster has lost over the last few years. The WWE had to absorb the loss of Edge, HBK, Batista, Punk, Del Rio and (full-time) Jericho in a - given their stature - in a relatively short space of time. Then there are others like Rey and Taker who have been largely inactive for years.

This also shows what a gun Cena is for being to carry the company throughout all this. Perhaps carry is not the right word actually, but he's remained the top draw and performed excellently at every corner. He's carried the torch throughout several periods of transition. People moan about him taking the top spot all the time, but tbf to him he's held the spot admirably whilst time has been spent building up other guys. WAG - srsly.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Wouldn't be surprised if he said it to get a rise out of the blokes on the roster tbh. He likes guys who show aggression and determination apparently - it struck me that he was probably throwing down the gauntlet for someone to catch his eye.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Cena's done an incredible job being the WWE's top guy for years, but it's a bit of a circular argument saying that guys have been built up while Cena was going out there doing his thing day in day out, because it's only a pretty recent development. Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns, Ziggler, are all getting real big pushes right now, but think about any guy in the last 7-8 years apart from Punk who made it into the main event scene and was pushed like a megastar... So few actually got the push they needed.

It's not Cena's fault obviously, but I refuse to believe Vince that the guys in the back aren't ambitious enough. Punk was ridiculously ambitious and after his long reign ended he was just shoved aside like he was an afterthought after the mania match with taker. Wasn't treated like the gold standard Cena-level star which he was. Bryan, who is the only guy in the last 10 years who regularly gets pops on par with anything Austin and Rock got, wasn't even supposed to win the title after a whole year of repeatedly getting ****ed over by HHH. Then when they realised no one cares about Orton and Batista, they came to their senses. That was , imo, the catalyst for all these pushes were seeing today. The WWE were just terrified of giving any relatively new guys big opportunities and stuck to Cena-Orton for so long, finally realised one day "Holy **** we have no one else apart from these guys built up to that level".

OverratedSanity

Yeah, that's a fair point, not to mention the eventual arrival of Zayn et al. Just feels two steps forwatd, one step back. Maybe the two steps make it worth seeing
This time, it definitely seems like the real thing. It's obvious the Shield guys are in for the long haul as main eventers. I'm more doubtful about Ziggler though. I love the guy, but I don't think they see him as a big star. Little things like him getting the winning pin but Cena's music playing annoy me, and don't make me take the push seriously.

andmark

International Captain
Bryan's mistreatment was ridiculous. Every fan on Earth wanted Bryan, and the WWE thought "maybe they'd prefer Batista?"

As far as uncommitted guys go, Alberto Del Rio maybe, or Jack Swagger. Obviously I'm just an outsider looking in, but they never struck me as Allan Donalds

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Mistreatment? The guy won the WWE title in the main event of the biggest PPV ever ffs.

He didn't get the initial push that the fans thought he merited, but to say he was mistreated is nonsense.

andmark

International Captain
Come on Sledger, that's striking me as purposely misunderstanding me. I obviously meant the whole shenanigans of Batista winning the Rumble and having Batista treated as the knight in shining armour to defeat the authority until the crowds destroyed that idea. Obviously Bryan winning the title at Wrestlemania was good- one of the best moments in the history of wrestling.

OverratedSanity

You said he was "mistreated".
He technically was though. When Batista came back, the WWE were like" Here's your new hero" and shoved Bryan to the side even though his story with the Authority screwing him had built for ages, until everyone threw a fit.

And don't forget that silly storyline with the Wyatts brainwashing him and turning him heel. Didn't work at all and they scrapped that idea and he turned him back face in a month or so. He should've had so many more ppv main events.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He technically was though. When Batista came back, the WWE were like" Here's your new hero" and shoved Bryan to the side even though his story with the Authority screwing him had built for ages, until everyone threw a fit.

And don't forget that silly storyline with the Wyatts brainwashing him and turning him heel. Didn't work at all and they scrapped that idea and he turned him back face in a month or so. He should've had so many more ppv main events.
We are complaining about Bryan being mistreated in a storyline centered on The Authority screwing him over?! It was a long slow burn of a storyline with possibly the ultimate WrestleMania pay-off. If anyone was screwed it was Dave. I dont like him or have any time for him but what I am sure what happened wasnt what he signed up for when he came back.

OverratedSanity

We are complaining about Bryan being mistreated in a storyline centered on The Authority screwing him over?! It was a long slow burn of a storyline with possibly the ultimate WrestleMania pay-off. If anyone was screwed it was Dave. I dont like him or have any time for him but what I am sure what happened wasnt what he signed up for when he came back.
True in a way. Batista wanted to be a heel when he came back because he knew he wouldn't get a big face reaction for too long.

And no I'm not complaining about the Bryan storyline. The big payoff of him winning the championship at mania wasnt even the plan. After months of getting the championship snatched from him, the plan was for him to have a meaningless non title match at wrestlemania and his storyline with the authority was essentially over.... With him not getting his revenge at all. The payoff we're talking about now wouldn't even have happened because Batista was originally supposed to win instead of Bryan.

I'm not really complaining because it worked out brilliantly in the end. I'm just saying let's not pretend the WWE had this big storyline for Bryan ending with the big win at wrestlemania all planned out from the beginning. They didn't.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
It's not. You said Bryan was mistreated, backed this claim up with no evidence whatsoever, and then got upset when I challenged you on it.
I "got upset" because you were clearly misunderstanding me in a way which seems purposely. You're argument here is that I slightly misused a word- which is a perfect example of pedantry. I don't want to make this too serious but you didn't apply the common sense to see that I was referring to the stuff before Wrestlemania- who on Earth would say he was mistreated at Wrestlemania? Considering what did happen before Wrestlemania, did I really need to provide evidence to make it a fool proof deductive argument? The only fair way you could disagree with it is to say that it was a big storyline with Bryan's win planned all along, in which case that would have been an interesting debate. But it's simply common sense that when I said that Daniel Bryan was mistreated, I meant the stuff before he won.