• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I don't think you know what counting chickens means pal.

If I was 'counting my chickens' I'd be preempting the final outcome. Based on what I said (which I've quoted for you), I'm clearly not counting my chickens but living in the present!

"Could the BC's be demoralised at the end of day 3 as the WI's are after 2 days being battered around the field? Yeah of course. But until that happens, you guys were put to the sword buddy."
NZ scored 500!!..well done. WI scored 500 plus and Darren got a double ton in the first test six months ago...what difference did it make?

I hope the Kiwis enjoy this track because the other two won't be as kind...

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
That wasn't as conclusive as Latham's let off imo...which is why the onfield umpire didn't give it out.
no ball was conclusive. Which is why the tv umpire called it.

But don't worry. It's all the umpire's fault. Those 40 runs are going to be a lovely little excuse for you.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I think NZ have paid again for our very conservative / mediocrity hugging attitude to cricket. Fulton had no business being on this tour, someone with some guts and brains (Hesson?) should have seen what Guptill did on the last Windies tour - proving he thrives on these decks against this type of attack - and brought him instead to fill that 'experienced opener' slot. I reckon we missed a trick by leaving the last tours top run scorer at home and hanging on to 2 metre flop.

The other thing I'd say is that in this NZ team Kane is an opening batsman. He's always coming in against the new ball when an insignificant score has been made by one or both openers i.e. he is to all intents and purposes an opening batsman. I don't care who says he's not an opening batsmans backside or oooerr...he's a 3 or whatever, he is forced to do the job of an opening batsman time after time after time, and he's doing it very well. Opening the batting (i.e. facing the new ball, fresh bowlers, taking the shine off the ball) may be so incredibly tough, no-one can do it (break out the violins) but Kane is proving it can be done (from the number 3 slot).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That wasn't as conclusive as Latham's let off imo...which is why the onfield umpire didn't give it out.
What crap. In Bravo's case, the ball hit the wristband of the glove flush. There was absolutely no doubt about it which made it one of the most mystifying 3rd umpiring decisions I've ever seen. By comparison the Latham-call was much much closer, and while I'd usually expect it to go with the bowler, it was about as close to a 50:50 call as you can get.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think NZ have paid again for our very conservative / mediocrity hugging attitude to cricket. Fulton had no business being on this tour, someone with some guts and brains (Hesson?) should have seen what Guptill did on the last Windies tour - proving he thrives on these decks against this type of attack - and brought him instead to fill that 'experienced opener' slot. I reckon we missed a trick by leaving the last tours top run scorer at home and hanging on to 2 metre flop.

The other thing I'd say is that in this NZ team Kane is an opening batsman. He's always coming in against the new ball when an insignificant score has been made by one or both openers i.e. he is to all intents and purposes an opening batsman. I don't care who says he's not an opening batsmans backside or oooerr...he's a 3 or whatever, he is forced to do the job of an opening batsman time after time after time, and he's doing it very well. Opening the batting (i.e. facing the new ball, fresh bowlers, taking the shine off the ball) may be so incredibly tough, no-one can do it (break out the violins) but Kane is proving it can be done (from the number 3 slot).
Haha, railing against the acceptance of mediocrity whilst advocating for Guptill in the same paragraph. What a post.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind Guptill so much now that I know he won't be keeping Latham out of the 11.

But yeah, he's pretty useless with the bat in tests.

would be looking at Papps, Flynn or Raval.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. Taylor wasn't done in by dip. He played a poor shot.

I suspect that ball may have been a doosra because the umpires looked at it, but they couldn't tell conclusively because it didn't have long after it bounced so they couldn't see which way it turned.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Better than Darren Bravo iirc

I have to admit that as the former resident expert at getting on McCullum's case, this is the first time I've seen a forward defense described as a rash way to get out.
WW's opinion is based on McCullum's history of playing rash shots. History informs the present in all cases according to WW.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't mind Guptill so much now that I know he won't be keeping Latham out of the 11.

But yeah, he's pretty useless with the bat in tests.

would be looking at Papps, Flynn
Who are pretty useless with the bat in tests.

Guptill is the best opening batsman outside the test side, by which I mean least worst.

The Guppers who got dropped was a wreck. When recalled I'd expect someone more akin to his early days in test cricket or if I'm being optimistic, the Guptill who toured the West Indies last time. 30 (40) with the occasional 50 which characterised Guptill for a couple of years was infuriating but it's better than not passing 15 for however many tests it's been.

Flem274*

123/5
I suspect that ball may have been a doosra because the umpires looked at it, but they couldn't tell conclusively because it didn't have long after it bounced so they couldn't see which way it turned.
I don't think it's fair to cast aspersions on Shillingford's character like this when we have sod all evidence.

If he bowled a doosra he would be cheating, and he has no motivation to bowl a doosra because he would get ostracised by his team and he wouldn't be allowed to bowl in the match anymore.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it's fair to cast aspersions on Shillingford's character like this when we have sod all evidence.

If he bowled a doosra he would be cheating, and he has no motivation to bowl a doosra because he would get ostracised by his team and he wouldn't be allowed to bowl in the match anymore.
yeah that's probably fair.

In which case it was just a crap shot.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
WW's opinion is based on McCullum's history of playing rash shots. History informs the present in all cases according to WW.
It just tells me that WW didn't actually watch any of the match:
1. He thinks McCullum played a rash shot.
2. He thinks Taylor got a good ball
3. He thinks Benn was all over Williamson

Flem274*

123/5
Benn was definitely asking tough questions yesterday and beat him a few times.

KW played him well though. It was a great battle to watch.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I watched 100% of Kane's innings.

He got a few balls to beat the edge. Otherwise, Williamson was in complete control.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure that Kane was done by the arm ball tbh. On Day One Benn was bowling arm balls with a scrambled seam; the ball that got KW looked like the standard orthodox spinner on slomo replay, but just didn't turn.

This means absolutely nothing in the context of anything tbh.

Also Neesh WAFG, Watling WAFG, Fulton WAC #BringBackGuptill

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's going to be sweet justice when Boult gets Gayle out for 150 after tea tomorrow. I mean, Gayle played and missed twice this morning. How incredibly lucky!

Howsie

International Captain
The lad was all over the place yesterday and barely survived that early spell from Benn imo.
:laugh:

I'm sorry but come on, all over the place, barely survived? Benn actually bowled pretty well in the morning session but he wasn't 'that' good. He went past Williamson's bat twice (omg) while Williamson left a ball that looked too close to leave live, and that was about it. He pretty much strolled his way to 100 yesterday, barely had to get out of second gear. He should be kicking himself he didn't go on and make a massive score.