• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

Blocky

Banned
It's like Fulton is determined to ensure that the West Indies have much better opening starts to their innings than we ever will with him around.

Meridio

International Regular
We're a little bit inconsistent here with the ball, sending too many down leg side and too many wide of off stump. Need to make the batsmen play more.

Flem274*

123/5
bit of a bummer play ended then. boult was pulling himself together. we should have had a wicket but the bowling wasn't flash.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Still a great day for us though not being able to mentally close the account on Powell will hurt. We've been lucky in recent series that when we've dropped a catch, the same batsman has usually offered another chance not long after.

Craig's over was ok and I hope he's able to add some more revs once he's feeling confident, otherwise it's just rollers.

Lots of toil tomorrow.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Southee and Boult can reset overnight.

Gotta echo the frustration with Fulton. Sounds like an absolute sitter.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Brilliant effort from Jimmy. People still think 6 is too high for him?
Yes, but well done to him all the same. He's now in the same company as Doug Walters, Alvin Kallicharran, Bill Ponsford and Sauruv Ganguly. Not bad.

But glargh, why did Fulton have to **** up what would've been a perfect day?!? Surely this has to be his last test.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Craig's over was ok and I hope he's able to add some more revs once he's feeling confident, otherwise it's just rollers.
Yeah I agree. It was clear to me through watching in the vault that he was going to bowl reasonably accurately and get some drift and drop. I also suspected he'd get some turn on reasonably helpful wickets such as this one but that was speculative based on his action and release rather than on empirical evidence as there are no helpful wickets in the Plunket Shield.

Hard to get all that much from one over but got one shorter one to straighten and no side- or over-spin on any of the other deliveries really; hopefully he puts a bit more on it tomorrow when he's settled in more and the ball's a bit older.

Howsie

International Captain
We've been lucky in recent series that when we've dropped a catch, the same batsman has usually offered another chance not long after.
Still, it's ridiculous the amount of catches we put down in the slips. As good as Southee and Boult have been over the past two years New Zealand's slip cordon has really let them down big time over and over again. Drop city.

Good day of cricket for us however, especially when I thought we were going to blow it when McCullum was dismissed. Perhaps would've liked to have seen Neesham and Watling go for it right after tea, thought the 30 minutes after it was a waste of time. Could've been sitting on 550 which would've been nice. Tough day ahead of us tomorrow, really don't wanna think how much Chanderpaul could make on this pitch.

Also as much as I love Ian Bishop I had to have laugh when he said Boult was a 130k swing bowler who might hit 135 on the odd occasion, Boult then pretty much went 142k every ball that over after that. Oddly silent from then on. Get the feeling he doesn't really rate him that highly, just by the way he talked about his success while he was commentating here in New Zealand. Could just be me being a paranoid Boult fanboi however.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Still, it's ridiculous the amount of catches we put down in the slips. As good as Southee and Boult have been over the past two years New Zealand's slip cordon has really let them down big time over and over again. Drop city.
They were much improved last summer, there's only one drop that I can think of off the top of my head (again Fulton dropping a sitter in the 3rd test against WI, but even that was only off Tino Best's batting so it didn't matter much). I hope it's an aberration, and that it doesn't hurt us in this match. The ball is still new, and Bouthee will be fresh tomorrow morning, so hopefully they'll create a few more chances.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well where do i start? brilliant early on and Kane finally got what he deserved tbh because he was very lucky against Benn on the first day. Taylor then got done by some dip and Mccullum was rash as usual...so we were right on target to get NZ out for around 350...but this is cricket, and when the quicks aren't getting anything out of the pitch and your spinners are bowling one good ball every two or three overs then you're gonna have players like Neesham ton up, well done to him.

Powell has been in rubbish form for a while so he better make good use of that dropped catch..otherwise Kraigg will be stepping in. The roller will be on the pitch now so hopefully from our point of view the track flattens a little more...and LOL i can see people trying to jinx Chanders i see :D ...yes i'd expect him to do ok but again this is cricket...he could end up getting a duck and then Darren rescues us again, you just never know.

Anyway needless to say i was pissed off during the play today but all that has vanished because of whispers/reports starting to emerge that Narine may well play a part in this series afterall :clap: ...a commentator on our Caribbean radio during the game said the WICb president Dave Cameron has said "a solution can be reached with Narine after this test and he will then be allowed to play"....i'm trying to hold sway though as nothing has been confirmed yet...but i'm guessing on seeing Shilly bowl the "big wigs" started having second thoughts about the "ban" on our prized asset :laugh: .

Would be such a huge boost for us if he can play the next test...especially as it's in his own backyard and the fans would be buzzing to see the magician on the field again...this match has underlined how important he is to us...even on this track he would have had the NZ batsmen second guessing...and in the end that's what often forces a mistake.

Anyway tomorrow it's all about seeing off that first hour!!..try and tire out Boult and Southee and then have a look at the spinners. No doubt two of our batsmen are gonna have to put up some big scores if we want to get close to that target.

Last edited: