• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ALL TIME WORLD XI TEAM for tests?

Slifer

International Captain
Haven't the WI been quite ****e either side of their total dominance period? If so then what criteria are you using to label them as the third most successful cricketing nation? In fact their last 2 decades have caused their win/loss ratio to fall below 1 I believe (cbf looking it up)
WI may or may not be the third most successful side (or whatever) but overall they have produced more world class cricketers than the other teams (barring Oz and Eng.)

Ex:

Pak : Batting: Miandad, Inzi, Abbas, Hanif, Yousuf, Saeed, Younis and Mishbah vs. Worrell, Weekes, Walcott, Chanders, Nurse, Lloyd, Richardson, Butcher etc (obvious who the etc are)

smash84

The Tiger King
WI may or may not be the third most successful side (or whatever) but overall they have produced more world class cricketers than the other teams (barring Oz and Eng.)

Ex:

Pak : Batting: Miandad, Inzi, Abbas, Hanif, Yousuf, Saeed, Younis and Mishbah vs. Worrell, Weekes, Walcott, Chanders, Nurse, Lloyd, Richardson, Butcher etc (obvious who the etc are)
My contention is not about world class cricketers. Barring Australia wi have probably priduced the greatest number of truly great cricketers. My point is that outside of their 20 year dominance they have been quite ordinary in comparison to someone like south Africa for e.g. south Africa have been consistently very good since the 1960s at least.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
My contention is not about world class cricketers. Barring Australia wi have probably priduced the greatest number of truly great cricketers. My point is that outside of their 20 year dominance they have been quite ordinary in comparison to someone like south Africa for e.g. south Africa have been consistently very good since the 1960s at least.
South Africa didn't win a single Test Match between 1970 and 1992.

smash84

The Tiger King
South Africa didn't win a single Test Match between 1970 and 1992.
I know they didn't but there is good reason to believe they would have been quite successful during that time. Even when they made a comeback in 1991-92 they have been superb and it has almost been a quarter of a century and they have been doing very well. I don't see that kind of consistency in the WI. To borrow an analogy from the all rounders Wi is Ian Botham to SA being Imran Khan :p

Slifer

International Captain
I know they didn't but there is good reason to believe they would have been quite successful during that time. Even when they made a comeback in 1991-92 they have been superb and it has almost been a quarter of a century and they have been doing very well. I don't see that kind of consistency in the WI. To borrow an analogy from the all rounders Wi is Ian Botham to SA being Imran Khan :p
WI cricketing history is very simple:

From 1928 til the late 60s they were on a steady upward swing from a minnow to a legitimate cricket power (on par with Oz and Eng). They had a minor trough in the late 60s/early 70s but by mid 70s (after the ill-fated tour of Oz) they started a remarkable climb to the peaks of their powers peaking (IMO) between say about 80-86. Thereafter right up until the Pakistan series of 97 (when they lost 3-0) they started a steady decline. After the Pakistan series WI started declining even more, though up until 2000 or there about, they were still difficult to beat at some. Post 2000 WI nose dived into the rabble we are today.

So Overall yes several teams have passed us by in the overall metric of cricket....

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I don't think there are too many instances of real bias in those examples.

- Armstrong only has three Englishmen - and they're three absolute immortals of the game. He also has three Australians and two West Indians. I can't see an England bias there.
- CMJ has four Englishmen so perhaps a (very) slight bias - but he also has three Australians and three West Indians. And I have no major issue with any of the four Englishmen picked.
- Craddock's four Australians may, like CMJ, suggest a very slight bias, but he also has three West Indians. And all four of his Australians are regulars in any All Time XI discussion.
- Wisden picked Knott, giving them four Englishmen but there are also three West Indians.
- Boycott's four Englishmen isn't really bias given that he also picked four West Indians and three Australians, and also openly said that Tendulkar would take a spot in that side once he retired.
- Kim Hughes is probably the most biased with five Australians - I personally think once you hit five or more players from one country in an All Time World XI, you're probably going a little overboard. That being said, it's not completely outlandish and all five of his Australians (even Trumper, who usually gets overlooked in these kind of exercises) are worthy of a spot.

The common theme with almost all ATXIs chosen are that they are dominated by Australians, Englishmen and West Indians - and given that these are the three most successful cricketing nations through history, that's not surprising. We all have our own preferences and I don't necessarily agree with all the selections, but having three or four representatives from one or more of those countries doesn't constitute any real bias in my books.
Pretty sure Armstrong is Aust anyhow

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because I'm sad like that, I was having a read of Vijay Hazare's 1974 autobiography this morning - couldn't find what I was after, but did spot that he tries the World XI game and selects

Merchant
Hutton
*Bradman
Hammond
Worrell
Miller
Mankad
+Evans
Lindwall
Laker
Gupte

just missing out

Compton
Weekes
Walcott
Amar Singh
Bedser
Amarnath

watson

Banned
Because I'm sad like that, I was having a read of Vijay Hazare's 1974 autobiography this morning - couldn't find what I was after, but did spot that he tries the World XI game and selects

Merchant
Hutton
*Bradman
Hammond
Worrell
Miller
Mankad
+Evans
Lindwall
Laker
Gupte

just missing out

Compton
Weekes
Walcott
Amar Singh
Bedser
Amarnath
No Sobers. Interesting.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Hazare's side is very strong. I think the batting of Sobers is going up against and imo rightfully losing to Worrell's captaincy and part time spin and Miller's pace. Compared against Sobers prolific batting it's an odd choice but I'm glad to see Hazare was brave enough to make it in a fantasy side. I wonder if he would truly leave Sobers out of that side still?

watson

Banned
He says he didn't consider anyone he hadn't played with or against - apologies - should have said that before, but I'm a lazy old git, or so my kids tell me
Lazy people tend to be efficient. so I view laziness as a virtue anyway.

Incidently, since Hazare and Merchant were batting rivals within Indian cricket, does Hazare shed any light in his autobiography on his relationship with Merchant? Did they get on, or was there friction?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lazy people tend to be efficient. so I view laziness as a virtue anyway.

Incidently, since Hazare and Merchant were batting rivals within Indian cricket, does Hazare shed any light in his autobiography on his relationship with Merchant? Did they get on, or was there friction?
Hazare wrote as many as three autobiographies, as against none by Merchant, which probably represents one difference between them - he certainly heaps a lot of praise on Merchant's batting, but none of the books are very revealing as far as I can see - I'm certainly not tempted to do anything other than skim read them

kyear2

International Coach
ATG XI from each country

Australia ATG XI
Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist[SUP]+[/SUP] | Davidson[SUP]3[/SUP] | Warne[SUP]4[/SUP]^ | Lillee[SUP]1[/SUP] | McGrath[SUP]2[/SUP]

West Indies ATG XI
Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley | Lara^ | Sobers[SUP]5[/SUP]^ | Walcott[SUP]+[/SUP] | Marshall[SUP]1[/SUP] | Ambrose[SUP]2[/SUP] | Holding[SUP]3[/SUP] | Garner[SUP]4[/SUP]

South Africa ATG XI
Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis[SUP]5[/SUP]^ | Nourse | Waite[SUP]+[/SUP] | Procter[SUP]3[/SUP] | Steyn[SUP]1[/SUP] | Tayfield[SUP]4[/SUP] | Donald[SUP]2[/SUP]

England ATG XI
Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Barrington | Compton | Botham[SUP]5[/SUP]^ | | Knott[SUP]+[/SUP] | Larwood[SUP]2[/SUP] | Laker[SUP]4[/SUP] | Trueman[SUP]1[/SUP] | Barnes[SUP]3[/SUP]

Pakistan ATG XI
Anwar | Mohammad | Khan^ | Miandad^ | ul- Haq^ |Mohammad[SUP]5[/SUP] | Latif | Imran[SUP]2[/SUP] | Akram[SUP]3[/SUP] | Mahmood[SUP]4[/SUP] | Younis[SUP]1 [/SUP]

India ATG XI
Gavaskar^ | Sehwag^ | Dravid^ | Tendulkar | Hazare | Mankad[SUP]5[/SUP] | Engineer[SUP]+[/SUP] | Dev[SUP]1[/SUP] | Kumble[SUP]3[/SUP] | Srinath[SUP]2[/SUP] | Prasanna[SUP]4[/SUP]

New Zealand ATG XI
Turner | Dempster | Sutcliffe | Crowe^ | Taylor^ | Reid[SUP]5[/SUP] | Hadlee[SUP]1[/SUP] | Vettori[SUP]4[/SUP] | Smith | Bond[SUP]2[/SUP] | Cowie[SUP]3[/SUP]

Last edited: