• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't even get why Ronchi is in the squad.
Really? He's the backup wicket keeper. Last year we only took one wicket keeper to England, and when he broke down we had to rely on McCullum for the second test - a decision that lead to him seriously aggravating his back problems. Really, I'm not at all surprised that Ronchi was selected in the squad, nor do I think there's the slightest chance that he'll be selected (except, of course, if Watling suffers an injury).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Really? He's the backup wicket keeper. Last year we only took one wicket keeper to England, and when he broke down we had to rely on McCullum for the second test - a decision that lead to him seriously aggravating his back problems. Really, I'm not at all surprised that Ronchi was selected in the squad, nor do I think there's the slightest chance that he'll be selected (except, of course, if Watling suffers an injury).
If a player is injured during a test, either McCullum or Latham can keep.

If a player is injured between tests, Ronchi could easily be flown out.

This would allow for us to have Matt Henry in the squad.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
a) McCullum can't keep because it has the potential to greatly shorten his career. He can't even keep in ODI's anymore ffs, how's he going to manage a test? When he tried it at Leeds, it caused back pain so terrible that he briefly considered retirement later in the year. And Latham has been selected as a batsman. As far as I'm aware he didn't keep at all for Canterbury last season (and certainly not in FC cricket). Further, if you think it's a good idea to take our new opener and shunt him down to number 7 after one test and tell him he has an entirely different roll for the rest of the tour, then you're not thinking very clearly.

b) This argument equally applies to anyone else in the country. If one of our seamers breaks down, then Henry or Gillespie could easily be flown out, if one of our batsmen is injured then Papps or Flynn could come over. Furthermore, the bowling is already relatively well stocked with 6 men in the squad (if you include JimmyGS).

c) It looks extremely unlikely that Hesson is going to select 3 seamers in any of the games in this series, let alone 4. Furthermore, Henry hasn't played any cricket since January - he probably needs to prove his form before he can seriously be considered for the Black Caps.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
WW and Beamer.

Can you please give us a review of each pitch for the three test matches. I have heard that St Lucia is pacey. Or was so in recent years.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
a) McCullum can't keep because it has the potential to greatly shorten his career. He can't even keep in ODI's anymore ffs, how's he going to manage a test? When he tried it at Leeds, it caused back pain so terrible that he briefly considered retirement later in the year. And Latham has been selected as a batsman. As far as I'm aware he didn't keep at all for Canterbury last season (and certainly not in FC cricket). Further, if you think it's a good idea to take our new opener and shunt him down to number 7 after one test and tell him he has an entirely different roll for the rest of the tour, then you're not thinking very clearly.
This is completely in utterly irrelevant. If Watling breaks down in the middle of the test, someone is going to have to keep. That should either be Latham or McCullum. If it's between tests, fly in Ronchi by all means.

Flem274*

123/5
if watling gets injured he's most likely going to get injured during a test match and ronchi can't help him there.

he's there solely for the morning of the game/24 hours out injury. that's all well and good, except we have one wicket keeper and three pace bowlers. pace bowlers get injured a lot, and there are three of them. if one goes down, neesham is their back up if we can't fly one over fast enough. i am a jimmy fan but he's no test 3rd or 2nd seamer yet.

twin spin appears to be plan A which i think must be why they've decided they can get away with only three pacers on tour but that plan is stupid anyway. there's a good chance innaccurate spin (sodhi) will get smoked to kingdom come in the first test regardless of the conditions and ooh oopsie, you can't change tack without stretching your depth very thin.

we get more out of henry being on tour than a second keeper imo. any second keeper. especially with an adequate if out of practice gloveman already there.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
twin spin appears to be plan A which i think must be why they've decided they can get away with only three pacers on tour but that plan is stupid anyway. there's a good chance innaccurate spin (sodhi) will get smoked to kingdom come in the first test regardless of the conditions and ooh oopsie, you can't change tack without stretching your depth very thin.

we get more out of henry being on tour than a second keeper imo. any second keeper. especially with an adequate if out of practice gloveman already there.
I don't disagree with that (well, except the Latham part), but given that the obvious strategy is to proceed with 2 spinners, it's not unsurprising that they've proceeded with just 3 seamers (3 and a half seamers if you count Jimmy). Realistically Jimmy probably shouldn't have been included in the squad, but obviously the selectors couldn't leave him out after his century in Wellington.

Mike5181

International Captain
As much as I love him as a player, Matt Henry wouldn't have been a good selection. He needs to prove his fitness before being selected in test matches. Ronchi and Neesham have earned their spots.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If either Boult or Southee is injured, that means Wagner taking the new ball. That would be horrible.

Mike5181

International Captain
He's a reserve. Doesn't matter as much since it's highly likely he won't need to play the entire series.
It's a good dream, but if you aren't confident your reserve can get through a test match, you're better off not selecting him. I don't want Henry going down after 3-4 overs. The result of one game could be the difference between winning and losing a test series.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If either Boult or Southee is injured, that means Wagner taking the new ball. That would be horrible.
If we're being honest, in that scenario Wagner would be taking the new ball even if Henry was in the squad. He has seniority, he's coming off a strong series v India and he has a ton of experience opening the bowling for Otago.

Flem274*

123/5
depends. if southee went down i'd prefer a right armer open the bowling to keep the left/right combo.
It's a good dream, but if you aren't confident your reserve can get through a test match, you're better off not selecting him. I don't want Henry going down after 3-4 overs. The result of one game could be the difference between winning and losing a test series.
i think you're exaggerating how injury prone he is

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Unless we see a Fults/Latham massive ton in the 2nd warm up, or Ronchi drops a few sitters while 'keeping, $5 says Watling opens with Ronchi at 7.

And when Watling inevitably fails as an opener, gets dropped for Rutherford/Latham.

You just know it'll happen, simply because it's exactly what nobody wants to happen.

BeeGee

International Captain
Unless we see a Fults/Latham massive ton in the 2nd warm up, or Ronchi drops a few sitters while 'keeping, $5 says Watling opens with Ronchi at 7.

And when Watling inevitably fails as an opener, gets dropped for Rutherford/Latham.

You just know it'll happen, simply because it's exactly what nobody wants to happen.
It's not going to happen.

I refuse to even entertain the idea. :schmoll:

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The link said we will be doing 3-4 over spells for the seamers this series. That does not stand us in good stead, despite it being sensible if the weather demands it.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well it appears Brathwaite may have been called up to the test squad because he's not in the A-team/HPC side facing Bang-A in the second test game tomorrow!!...could be as back-up for Gayle or he could be replacing Gayle altogether i guess....which i wouldn't be too fussed about as it's time for Powell/Brathwaite to form a longterm partnership now imo.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Third test has been moved from Guyana due to the board issues
The third Test between West Indies and New Zealand has been moved out of Guyana due to West Indies Cricket Board's disagreement on a new bill passed by the government of Guyana. The WICB will announce the alternate venue for the June 26-30 match on June 2.

WICB's decision came in the wake of the passing of the Cricket Administration Bill, which hands over the local cricket administration from an independent body to the Guyana government, and which, in the board's view, goes against the ICC's tenets of minimising government interference in running of cricket.

The board sought an undertaking from Donald Ramotar, the Guyana President, that the bill not be signed into law, but after not receiving the desired response, the board decided to relocate the Test.

New Zealand play the first Test of the three-match series in Kingston from June 8 -12.