• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah strange to think only 11 matches have been won out of the 71 played for the bottom 6 against the top 4.

Of those:

Pakistan won 6
Sri Lanka won 3
and
NZ won 2
It's a record that needs to improve...and FAST. Tbh that's why i was delighted for your lot against India...first the lower sides have to start beating the top teams at home and then build from there...our recent home record is quite good aswell but we haven't faced the top sides in the Caribbean for a while. The next one will be England in 2015 in a four test series.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If you play Roach and Taylor, you need a pace bowling all-rounder at 6 or 7 in case one breaks down. Who plays that role with Sammy gone and Bravo injured?

Could we see a shock recall for Dwayne Smith on IPL form and lack of alternatives (though he doesn't seem to bowl much these days)?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
If you play Roach and Taylor, you need a pace bowling all-rounder at 6 or 7 in case one breaks down. Who plays that role with Sammy gone and Bravo injured?

Could we see a shock recall for Dwayne Smith on IPL form and lack of alternatives (though he doesn't seem to bowl much these days)?
Dwayne Bravo is back fit now...and is doing good in the training camp by all accounts. Also the 5th bowler might well be someone who's a spinner like Samuels or Jermaine Blackwood.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Picking a third spinner when the two quicks have injury clouds hanging over them would be insane. I could understand it - and would support it - if Roach and Taylor weren't just coming back from injury (and in Taylor's case, being incredibly injury prone to begin with), so it has to be Bravo or a medium pacer in that slot IMO.

Gayle
Brathwaite
Samuels/Edwards
Bravo
Chanderpaul
Bravo/All Rounder
Ramdin
Taylor
Narine
Roach
Bishoo/Benn/Shillingford

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If the West Indies wanted to select a batting allrounder who bowled medium pace and Bravo hadn't recovered yet, the prime candidates would be Pollard and Jonathan Carter.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
If the West Indies wanted to select a batting allrounder who bowled medium pace and Bravo hadn't recovered yet, the prime candidates would be Pollard and Jonathan Carter.
Yep...Carter is playing against Bang A today so he might put himself in the picture if he does well. Pollard would have also been another interesting option but i doubt the selectors are thinking about him right now...long term we have a Barbadian lad named Raymon Reifer (Floyd Reifer's cousin) who has been doing very well and is similar to Cory Anderson with his left-arm bowling and hard hitting in the middle order...although Raymon is probably more of a genuine "quick" than a medium pacer.

Flem274*

123/5
Picking a third spinner when the two quicks have injury clouds hanging over them would be insane. I could understand it - and would support it - if Roach and Taylor weren't just coming back from injury (and in Taylor's case, being incredibly injury prone to begin with), so it has to be Bravo or a medium pacer in that slot IMO.

Gayle
Brathwaite
Samuels/Edwards
Bravo
Chanderpaul
Bravo/All Rounder
Ramdin
Taylor
Narine
Roach
Bishoo/Benn/Shillingford
Brathwaite can **** off for King Kirk, and Mini Bravo should stay in his rightful first drop spot with Chanders moving up to four. My knowledge of West Indian cricket beyond the immediate squad is extremely limited but Samuels is imo worth persistence and should get a breather at five where his technique can be less exposed while he gets his eyes back.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
This is our 15-man squad for the first test apparently..

For Immediate Release

Sunday, May 25, 2014

West Indies Test Training Squad vs New Zealand

FULL SQUAD

Denesh Ramdin (Captain)

Sulieman Benn

Darren Bravo

Dwayne Bravo

Shiv Chanderpaul

Kirk Edwards

Shannon Gabriel

Chris Gayle

Jason Holder

Sunil Narine

Shane Shillingford

Kieran Powell

Kemar Roach

Marlon Samuels

Jerome Taylor
Looking at that squad i'm happy...a little surprised Brathwaite isn't in instead of Powell but i guess because Kieran has a ton to his name against NZ they went with him...

Gayle
Powell
Edwards
Darren Bravo
Chanderpaul
Samuels/Dwayne Bravo
Ramdin (c) (wk)
Taylor
Narine
Roach/Holder
Benn/Shilly

will most likely be the team for the first test....let the games begin my kiwi friends :D .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Both Flem and Max you both have a point..a large cloud is hanging over Gayle and some say this Test at Sabina might be his last. Powell wasn't good at all last year in tests (though he was good in odi's) but he came back from NZ having done ok in the one dayers and then he stepped up a gear for Leewards in our first class competition...there's no question imo interms of alround skill he's actually better than Darren Bravo...but Darren beats him mentally...if Kieran improves in that department he will be one hell of a player.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Elaborate on that statement and justify it as I don't see it.
He plays a wider range of shots..Darren although he's pretty complete he does love the off-side way more than the legside..where-as when Kieran is in full flow he'll hit the ball to all sides of the ground and do it in style..front cover drive, legside sweep, cut on the off-side etc...and he likes to use his feet to the spinners aswell while Darren tends to stay on the backfoot most of the time. But as Darren showed with his 200 in NZ he's a gritty little git and not just all flash...and that's what seperates the two, Powell hasn't learned the art yet of being gritty and digging deep.