• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
The one thing I disagree with you about is calling the Hamilton pitch unresponsive. It was without doubt a spinner's wicket. Not a complete paradise, but everyone commented on this fact. Quite a few people were angry with the groundsman.
I guess it's all relative. By New Zealand standards it was responsive. Compared to the turn and bounce spinners usually get at Sabina park it was pretty run of the mill.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
You keep going on about a series 2 years ago when Boult and Southee weren't even sharing the new ball and continue to ignore the mounting evidence of the last 2 years of test cricket. England, Sri Lanka, India, NZ - take your pick. These were all flat wickets when Boult was bowling.

And yes, you can say a bowler bowled well when he had chances dropped - by actually watching them bowl. Gabriel was utterly dreadful because he couldn't land the ball on the seam and kept dropping short. Boult very rarely does this.
You can say i'm going on about the series of two years ago but when i mention Boult's recent outing in Bang another excuse is made...the bottom line is statistically Boult hasn't impressed in India, Bang or SA...while he only had one decent innings in England..that's four of NZ's last five away series i've mentioned.

Anyway it doesn't really matter..all the talking will soon be over and we will see who prospers in this series... :cool:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah; that definitely isn't what I'd call a turner by world standards. It certainly turned a lot more than a Hamilton pitch usually does which is why people were angry with the groundsman, but world spinners still would not have been queuing up to bowl on it, for mine.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I guess it's all relative. By New Zealand standards it was responsive. Compared to the turn and bounce spinners usually get at Sabina park it was pretty run of the mill.
Yeah; that definitely isn't what I'd call a turner by world standards. It certainly turned a lot more than a Hamilton pitch usually does which is why people were angry with the groundsman, but world spinners still would not have been queuing up to bowl on it, for mine.
Keep in mind that the match only went 3 and a bit days. It was taking significant turn on day 2.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Cheers for being honest Prince....the compelling thing is our tracks are tailor made for Narine...so it will be interesting to see what plans the kiwis have for him this time.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Critical to Boult's underperformance in Bangladesh was Southee's absence. Southee is by far the better bowler at this stage, and the relentless pressure that he builds is essential to the success or failure of Boult's more attacking style. If you look at Boult's record in matches were Southee didn't play it's crazy bad. Like 10 wickets in 5 matches at 45.5, compared to 72 wickets at under 24 when Southee is there backing him up. I reckon if Southee stays fit throughout the tour, then Boult will do fine.

Ehhh, I think that pitch was a pretty decent turner by non-subcontinent standards. It's important to remember that Narine was doing most of his bowling on just the 2nd day, so that much turn being available that early in the test match lead me to see it as being a pretty nice surface for spinners. I also remember Narine getting a couple to turn BIG on the 3rd evening, which had me a little worried about our 120 chase.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
you're an idiot to be counting your chickens. If you win I suspect it will be down to the diffence in spin bowling between the two sides but your posting is, as usual, comical at best.
Flem, I don't always (or...well...ever) agree with WW, but let's all try and refrain from name calling. WW is just as entitled to be a WI fan boy as Howsie is to be an ND fan boy. I personally love his posting style, as it'll make it all the sweeter when New Zealand canter to a 3-0 series win (har har). Anyway, the last thing we want is another thread like this one:

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...t-side-win-test-series-against-top-4-a-6.html

Howsie

International Captain
You can say i'm going on about the series of two years ago but when i mention Boult's recent outing in Bang another excuse is made...the bottom line is statistically Boult hasn't impressed in India, Bang or SA...while he only had one decent innings in England..that's four of NZ's last five away series i've mentioned.
Ding, ding, ding, ding. Just because the statistics don't look crash hot doesn't mean he didn't bowl well.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Flem, I don't always (or...well...ever) agree with WW, but let's all try and refrain from name calling. WW is just as entitled to be a WI fan boy as Howsie is to be an ND fan boy. I personally love his posting style, as it'll make it all the sweeter when New Zealand canter to a 3-0 series win (har har). Anyway, the last thing we want is another thread like this one:

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...t-side-win-test-series-against-top-4-a-6.html
Totally agree mate and LOL wow that thread brings back memories...i feel like a totally different person now to who i was back then :D .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Ding, ding, ding, ding. Just because the statistics don't look crash hot doesn't mean he didn't bowl well.
I know...but he's there to get wickets and it looks like in away series that only happens when Southee is there to babysit him...but like i said he's a very good talent and you guys have a great opening pair.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah strange to think only 11 matches have been won out of the 71 played for the bottom 6 against the top 4.

Of those:

Pakistan won 6
Sri Lanka won 3
and
NZ won 2

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Really great to see Jerome amoungst the guys again...honestly all this seemed like a pipedream just six months ago but at the begining of the year word spread that he was at the Jamaica trials but didn't look anywhere near what he was...then the media broke news that he was back in the Jamaica squad to play the one day competition. Watching him people said he wouldn't last and had lost a lot of pace but really he was just taking his time to get back into his stride and the more he played the better he got. He took some wickets and then it was over and the four day comp was about to begin...which of course would be the real test for him...but low and behold he got through that fine and played eight matches without any problem and took around 20 wickets. He also has ability with the bat down the order as NZ witnessed first hand when he scored a ton in 2008!!..so in truth we shouldn't really miss Sammy's batting down the order too much.

The question is gonna be do they play Roach and Taylor TOGETHER? it might be risky when you consider their recent injury woes but no question if they both play and are in the mood they have the ability to destroy anyone.

In closing having Amby around is a no brainer...he's done wonders with the pacers at CCC so hopefully he spreads his wisdom to the senior guys aswell. First Viv has been helping our A-team prepare for the Bang series that starts today and now Amby is on board with the senior side...looks like the legends are finally being embraced by the WICB :cool:.