• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Infamous Footballers

Eds

International Debutant
Barton.

Why Ronaldo is even on here I'm not sure. Diving and overly-confident? Come on. Will need plenty of battles to fit all those guys in.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Barton by a mile.

Ronaldo does heaps of work for charity, no way he should be on this list. Recently came to light that he'd paid in the region of £50k for a kid to have surgery - he became aware of the kid because someone wrote to him to ask for a pair of boots or some kit that they could auction off to help raise money for the kid. Instead of donating that, he just paid for the surgery himself.
Look ****, we're not here to discuss redeeming features. Wouldn't be a bridge too far to suggest Barton's dog loves him and Maradona put his ephedrine dealer's kids through school.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Round 1, Battle 5

Pepe (Real Madrid, Portugal)

Crimes:

- One of the most profligate foulers in history
- Stomped on Messi's hand
- Backheeled Celta Vigo player in the goolies
- Elbowed Alvaro Negredo in the face
- Doing a double-stomp on Xavi Torres
- Raked studs down entire length of Javier Casquero's back:

- Being an occupational hazard for Barcelona players
- Also dives a bit

"What a ripoff mother****er." - To referee José Luis Paradas after following him into the locker room

"Pepe. What an idiot." - Wayne Rooney

"He goes down like he's dying, mainly to waste a bit of time, I guess." - Guardian MBM, Real vs. Bayern

“It is not easy for a mother to hear a stadium call her son a killer.” - Pepe on the meanies in the Camp Nou

"Pepe has a problem." - Former manager Jose Mourinho

"In my opinion, I’m spectacular.” - Pepe after self-reflection

Paolo Di Canio (Lazio, Italy)

Crimes:

- Unapologetic fascist
- Shoved a match official to the ground while playing for Sheffield Wednesday
- Triggered miner's protests along with resignation of multiple sponsors and Sunderland chairman after being appointed manager
- Led Nazi salutes at funeral for fascist leader of the Bologna Massacre
- Managed to provoke a dressing-room revolt in less than half a season as Sunderland manager

"I'm a fascist, not a racist." - Di Canio clarifies

"The appointment of Di Canio is a disgrace and a betrayal of all who fought and died in the fight against fascism." - Miners' chairman

"Mussolini was a basically a very principled ethical politician who was deeply misunderstood." - Extract from autobiography

'Paolo's comments should be taken with a pinch of salt because he's as mad as a hatter." - Trevor Sinclair

"I don't vote, I haven't voted for 14 years. Italian politicians — all of them — think only about themselves, and making money." - Di Canio has no time for democracy

"To be honest, I have never been part of a group of players that went to the chairman because that is for cowards, I do not like that, it’s not fair. I prefer confrontation with my manager." - After being deposed from the Sunderland job

El-Hadji Diouf (Leeds United, Senegal)

Crimes:

- Racially abused ball-boy, on the grounds that 'he threw it to me like a bone to a dog'
- Laughed in James Mackie's face after the latter went down with a broken leg
- Favourite spitting targets:

- Blackburn goalkeeper
- 11-year-old boy
- Face of Pompey player
- Celtic fans

- Led a five-on-one aggravated assault in a Manchester nightclub
- Dissenting at refs
- Only Liverpool striker to go through an entire season without scoring

"**** off, white boy." - To said ball-boy

"Spitting is not an offence in Senegal." - Diouf's defence barrister

"The stigma of what you did will follow you round for the rest of your career. You'll never live it down." - Tommy Smith to Diouf

"He drinks, he drives, he spits in people's eyes, El-Hadji Diouf, El-Hadji Diouf." - Leeds away fans

"They do so many bad things inside, they don't like someone with a big character inside to say what they want to do. It's not like in Europe. In Europe everything is perfect." - On the Senegalese football federation

"Spitting. Spittle. Gobbing. Hoiking. Saliva. Whatever, you did it all. Some slightly better than others, and most with Bob Carolgees and Spit the Dog." - The Guardian

"**** you and **** your leg." - Diouf to Mackie

"Being a clean living professional footballer, Diouf never swallows." - Dan Hunt on a wine-tasting which Diouf attended

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, top battle. Didn't think I could go past Di Canio, but El-Hadji Diouf is a special kind of insane.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tough one this. It should clearly be de Canio if you concentrate on non-football related indiscretions, but Diouf is just generally a bad egg.

Hmmm.

Diouf I think.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Di Canio.

You can't say Mussolini was ethical and misunderstood and not gain at least one vote.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pepe, but there's not a lot in it. If we were to decide these things on purely footballing reasons he'd be miles ahead though.

Eds

International Debutant
Di Canio and El-Hadji unfortunate to meet at this stage. Two genuinely 'orrible bastards.

Gotta be Diouf, though. Spitting at an 11-year old kid is a whole new level of ****.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
El-Hadji Diouf

I still heart Di Canio as a player, oh and the pushing of Alcock is a plus for me.

Yeah shame about the horrible fascism:ph34r: