• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree. Too much hindsight in your comment.

At the time, Astle was regarded as a spin-bowling all rounder, and played his only test as #2 spinner (behind Jeets) and batting #7. When Jeets was discarded, Martin was next of the rank, as the test team needed a spinner who could tie up an end in an attack with only 3 seamers + KW. I assume Astle was seen more as a 17-2-80-2 bowler than a 30-8-80-2 bowler.

But now Anderson has changed the game for the test spinner role. Sodhi made the Bangs tour as a learning experience, but when Anderson batted at #6 and was able to bowl 10 overs a day, we could pick a spinner to take wickets in the 3rd / 4th innings, rather than bowl a tight 20-25 overs a day.
Yes, I agree, and I understood the reasons at the time - except those reasons were completely thrown out the door when Hesson decided to play both Sodhi and Bartin in the first Test. If they were going to play a second spinner, like they did in Sri Lanka, it should have been Astle who got the job.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, I agree, and I understood the reasons at the time - except those reasons were completely thrown out the door when Hesson decided to play both Sodhi and Bartin in the first Test. If they were going to play a second spinner, like they did in Sri Lanka, it should have been Astle who got the job.
I think Astle was only picked for Sri Lanka in the first place under the theory that a second spinner had to be able to bat seven. Anderson coming into the side changed all that.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon we should never consider going in with a 2nd spinner. Williamson is honestly going to be just as useful as anyone we pick excluding Jeets. And if we're dropping Wagner for Jeets then it isn't worth it at all.

Williamson is a bowler Baz actually trusts unlike every domestic spinner in the country besides his brother and Jeets. We can have Sodhi at one end, wishing he was a better bowler than he is on the off chance it'll pay off in future and Baz wishing the same. But we certainly can't have two blokes that Baz won't trust with the ball on at any given time.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Disappointing to see Joe Carter fall, deserved the century, he has probably been the most successful youngster of the season across all NZ FC Teams, Im not saying he is ready for higher honours but as an uncontracted player he has average 45 often coming in when Wilson falls cheaply.
Really impressive.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I guess Brownlie is likely to be our reserve batsman for the WI tour? I struggle to think of anyone else, assuming Latham is straight into the XI and Rutherford/Fulton is dropped from the squad. I like Brownlie and as others mentioned it's good he's recovered to score some domestic runs this season, but he's not ideal as a reserve batsman for a tour where spin bowling is likely to play a part.

Come to think of it, they might instead opt to go to Guptill, particularly as his last tour of the West Indies was one of his few successes with the bat in test cricket.

Edit: Ronchi another option and provides wicketkeeping cover as they probably won't want that on Latham's shoulders.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Watling doesn't do domestic bullying does he?
He's driven his average up by about five runs in the past few seasons domestically, but he's not really the bullying style of player - plus no one in NZ Cricket can bully Wagner if he's bowling on form.

Blocky

Banned
When does Nathan become an option? He's out bowling our "Test #1 spinner" and he's taken two top order NZ Players wickets in the second innings - meanwhile Sodhi has done 2/10ths of Sweet **** All.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sheesh I was impressed with Latham's knock till I had a look at the Central "attack".

Probably one of the worst I've ever seen in a NZ domestic. KNB would be a vast improvement over that lot. Dreadful.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
you should combine those posts so we can get a more concise summary of Blocky.

Or even better, combine the words so we get Wadhi or Sogner. A sort-of Yin-Yang effect. Bring balance to the universe.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sheesh I was impressed with Latham's knock till I had a look at the Central "attack".

Probably one of the worst I've ever seen in a NZ domestic. KNB would be a vast improvement over that lot. Dreadful.
yeah, and the deck looks about the flattest I've seen.

Still, gotta actually make the runs.