• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Robbie Peterson's test career is going to be ended this series if he plays a match.

Last edited:

benchmark00

With all the money you lost betting on the Australian Open I'm surprised you can even afford an internet connection pal.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Still got plenty of money after I bet that Gold Coast would beat North Melbourne last year.

SeamUp

International Coach
Happy bday to Simon Harmer and his little bit of filth at the back of his neck dubbed the 'meerkat'

BgBTpJpIEAAxOxH.jpg

I must say, I would be surprised if both sides don't play their spinner.

Riggins

International Captain
really interested to see whether nath bowls exclusively around the wicket again this series.

SeamUp

International Coach
Right from the groundsmans mouth - Hilbert Smit

Pace and bounce expected in Centurion

A strip with pace and bounce that might benefit the fast bowlers with a bit of moisture on the first morning awaits South Africa and Australia at SuperSport Park in Centurion when the test series starts on Wednesday, according to the vastly experienced curator of the ground, Hilbert Smit.

It sounds like manna from heaven if you are a fast bowler of the calibre of Dale Steyn, Vernon Philander, Morné Morkel, Mitchell Johnson or Ryan Harris.

Smit says strip No 4 at SuperSport Park was only once used last season, in a test between South Africa and Pakistan. South Africa won the toss and elected to bat, and won by an innings and eighteen runs.

Kyle Abbott captured 7-29 in the first innings on debut.

“There was uneven bounce on that occasion because there were cracks, but that is sorted out and won’t be a problem in this match.

“We also only used it once this season, in a low-scoring Momentum One-Day Cup match against the Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras,” he added.

Smit expects the strip to be good for batting as the ball could fly off the bat on a quick pitch.

Will the pitch crumble on day four or five and favour the slow bowlers? Smit doesn’t think it would be the case. “The feet movement of the bowlers and the rough might create something for the spinners, but it won’t crumble,” he added.

Historically, SuperSport Park has been a South African fortress. They won 14 out of 18 tests at the ground since its inception in 1986, and lost one test while three ended in a draw.

It has been a ground synonymous with historical milestones. Jacques Kallis recorded his only double ton at this ground, while AB de Villiers raced to a century off only 75 balls also at SuperSport Park.

“I won’t water the pitch during the next two days, but I don’t know how dry it will be when the test starts. That will depend on the elements,” said Smit.
Obviously Centurion is known for its steep bounce off a length but from watching domestic games there, there are certain pitches on that square that can rag square and when it gets flat with the sun out and the up-turn-saucer outfield, run making can be quite easy. That is why I will be amazed if either side plays no spinner.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Doubtful apparently; he's spent most his net sessions and indeed the centre-wicket practice bowling over.
Yeah but that's a double edge sword. He's bowling like that because Australia's batsmen won't be facing off spin from around the wicket and it doesn't give them much of a go in a net sesh. Would surprise me if he didn't use the around the wicket tactic often itbt.