• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

James

Cricket Web Owner
Looks to be a superb even batting wicket now that the Indian strokemakers are loving. India to win by 5 wickets.

Hopefully we get some rain over night to juice up the wicket a bit but seems unlikely given the forecast.

Dissector

International Debutant
Wow. Just checked the score. Has to be one of the craziest turnarounds in years. 400+ is still a big target and it will be one of India's best ever wins if they make it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stink.

Games gone from 80/20 before the inning started to 50/50 at this stage primarily because they have seen off the new ball.

Dhawan deserves to be out by the way. This has not been a composed inning.
tbf to him after his struggles at the start he's been really good.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
**breaking news**

the guy who runs the local Indian takeaway store assures me that India will bottle it tomorrow.:ph34r:

As an aside when I grew up there were no Indian takeaway stores everything was fish and chips.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We need better field settings to sodhi, they are cutting and back foot driving him for single after single. I would go point and cover point, right now he can't target one batsman.
(Baz please read this)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What would this crowd be? 4,000?
Probably less. Cricket support has collapsed over the last decade in New Zealand, especially in Auckland. Remember reading an AC Nielsen survey from a couple of months ago that showed what sports people followed, and how that had changed between 2000 and 2012. Most sports remained unchanged or declined a little bit. 35% of people stated they followed cricket in 2000 compared to 15% in 2012.

Mike5181

International Captain
Probably less. Cricket support has collapsed over the last decade in New Zealand, especially in Auckland. Remember reading an AC Nielsen survey from a couple of months ago that showed what sports people followed, and how that had changed between 2000 and 2012. Most sports remained unchanged or declined a little bit. 35% of people stated they followed cricket in 2000 compared to 15% in 2012.
Cricket fans in Auckland aren't particularly fond of Eden Park which doesn't help

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket fans in Auckland aren't particularly fond of Eden Park which doesn't help
Mike is right that a better venue would get more fans. However I don't think not turning up to Eden Park is a good way of attracting potential investors - they (the investors) would be more likely to take a popular sport and make it more popular if that makes sense.
4 thousand fans out of a city with 1.5 million people is surprising. I heard on the radio that the basin is close to selling out. Everyone I know is going to the test.
The good part about tests in Auckland though on the plus side is the amazing drainage and the fact it hardly ever rains all day in Auckland (or at least when I visit there) it kind of showers on and off - unlike Dunners where you are guaranteed to lose a day of the test.

Flem274*

123/5
auckland is just a terrible place to host sport in general. they just don't give a **** and/or can't be arsed travelling to the ground. auckland is our most populated city but for it's land area vs population it's tiny so it takes ages to get anywhere.

even if we bowl average we should win through weight of runs. if we lose well southee/boult were going to have a really really bad innings eventually and it shows you can't expect to be anything more than middling with no openers, a third seamer who is inconsistent at best so far and a project spinner.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure if I have faith anymore.

:(
Big Bambino is wrong we aren't favourites because they have seen off the new ball and that is our best chance of getting wickets. But this is a young Indian team and I reckon that will count for something. We could be in for a cliff hanger finish. Keep the faith.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I must say though if we lose from here that will take the wind out of my sails for a while after being in a commanding position and I am sure other fans will be gutted too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
So instead of moping about the position we've gotten ourselves in to overnight, what do we reckon? Drop Rutherford for Latham/Guptill?

Do we keep Fulton or Rutherford or do we let both go?

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
Latham has to be first in line. Guptill will most likely have to wait awhile being getting his next chance. That is unless they drop both openers. Then I have no idea if Guptill will still have to wait or not.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Rutherford's dismissal today was inexcusable. So he is gone.
Fulton's was even worse - we just had to see off the new ball and play shots after that.

Drop both.

Why are we not putting Flynn in the mix? I know he had a poor start to the PS season but he has some good scores.