• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Blocky

Banned
Meanwhile, Williamson and Taylor launch another Mission Impossible innings. Ross is playing like a genius at the moment, may he never play the slog sweep ever again.

Blocky

Banned
that's nice, because that's how most of the forum summarises talking with you.
Four people who seem to think Guptill is the messiah do not constitute most of the forum. It's really only you, Kiwi Ninja and Athlai who have issues with what I say about Guptill - and considering you keep bringing my name up in relationship to him, it obviously seems you want to discuss the topic with me as much as you can.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
tl;dr

find me a better opener and i might listen. guptill isn't perfect, but he's better than you and hendrix have ever given him credit for and he deserves to be in the team. he is certainly better than latham in the short forms at this stage. that may change with time.

i just don't understand how you and hendrix can make some good points, not just on guptill but on cricket in general, but then leap right to the extremist side of a debate. the pair of you probably don't see yourselves as extreme, but advocating dropping a bloke with a reasonable odi record (and bringing his missus into it) for daryl mitchell and his whopping list A average of 27 is extreme.
TBH I haven't advocated dropping him, I just really dislike his play of late and can't wait till we get someone better.

The easy fix, without even dropping him, would be for the coaching team to tell him to bat like it's a t20.

Blocky

Banned
The easy fix, without even dropping him, would be for the coaching team to tell him to bat like it's a t20.
Agree - but Guptill won't, because he still has aspirations of being a test player and wants to prove that he's capable of more than just butchering the ball hard without caring where it goes. The only job he can do for NZ at the international level, he refuses to do.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
it's really amazing that the run rate is nearly up to 5 after that start. What could Williamson and Taylor do with a decent start?

Blocky

Banned
Rohit, Ishant or both?
Rohit has been the reason why NZ haven't been punished by Guptill being so slow at the start of the innings, they've basically been the same exact player, all about the boundary, no ability to rotate the strike, get absolutely bogged down.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
are we ****ing going on about Guptill again. FFS (and i realise i am being hypocritical here)
There's probably an overindulgence in the topic but innings like today's beg it to be discussed, you'd imagine. It's certain to be affecting how Jesse plays.

Blocky

Banned
There's probably an overindulgence in the topic but innings like today's beg it to be discussed, you'd imagine. It's certain to be affecting how Jesse plays.
And Williamson, I'd hate to think how we'd have gone if Williamson hadn't fiftied every innings so far, because he's been the consistent reason we've salvaged ****ty starts.