• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think we should rest Southee, Anderson, Williamson, McCullum and Taylor for the final ODI.

Obviously we can't rest all of them, but Southee and Anderson shouldn't play.
Disagree. Unless there's niggles, I want to see our strongest possible XI looking to nail a 4-0 scoreline. The last thing I want is India winning & hence taking some confidence into the test series.

Blocky

Banned
Resting Anderson makes sense as he legitimately does have a niggle, I think as long as the players are fit and ready to go, they should all play.

Meh at the Guptill stuff - the problem with kids today is that they can't read. If you'd read a single thing I wrote, it's always been that Guptill should be in the T20 because of his uncomplicated hitting and power, but that he is inconsistent and horrible at building an innings, relying on mi****s, misqueues and bad fielding options to feed him singles in between his boundary hit. Will he occasionally score big? Sure. But peel away and have a look at his performance against the big boys and it's not impressive and has been in steady decline for the last four seasons.

miss hits.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree. Unless there's niggles, I want to see our strongest possible XI looking to nail a 4-0 scoreline. The last thing I want is India winning & hence taking some confidence into the test series.
We're still building towards the world cup. This is a complete bonus game. We haven't yet seen enough of Neesham. We perhaps need to find someone who can sub in for the top 3 (Latham).

We also need to make sure that Southee goes back to his fuller, swinging length for the Test, which starts Wednesday next week. He's played 2 months of limited overs cricket. He'll need to reset.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to see Southee turning out for ND in the latest round of the Plunket Shield, but it's fair enough that he's sitting things out I suppose. Also it's always good for Boult to get some practice at bowling without his partner in crime. Would've liked Latham to get a go at batting against India, as he's really blossomed for Canterbury this season and finally merits a chance based on his performances (as opposed to potential). I'd also trust him at 4 a lot more than Munro.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes we definitely need to work out who our next best top-order ODI batsman is if someone is injured going into the World Cup. Our top 6 right now is fantastic but there's a sharp drop off in quality if one gets injured, particularly if it's one of the top 4. Latham appears to have more class than the other options (Elliott, Munro, Devcich, Franklin) and now would be the time to reintroduce him to the side. If we don't give Latham a chance or he doesn't perform prior to World Cup and one of the top 4 gets injured then I guess I'd reluctantly turn to the random excellentness/horribleness that is Grant Elliott.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Really hoping Henry makes his debut in the last ODI (perhaps alongside Mills and McClenaghan). I like that we have fast bowling options coming out of our ears at the moment and have been looking forward to Henry getting a game for NZ for ages.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yes we definitely need to work out who our next best top-order ODI batsman is if someone is injured going into the World Cup. Our top 6 right now is fantastic but there's a sharp drop off in quality if one gets injured, particularly if it's one of the top 4. Latham appears to have more class than the other options (Elliott, Munro, Devcich, Franklin) and now would be the time to reintroduce him to the side. If we don't give Latham a chance or he doesn't perform prior to World Cup and one of the top 4 gets injured then I guess I'd reluctantly turn to the random excellentness/horribleness that is Grant Elliott.
Latham and Watling are really the last pieces of the puzzle imo. They'd be more than useful as reserves.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Seriously I'd recall Devcich before Rutherford as an ODI option. It's Rutherford's worst format (and Blocky thinks Guptill struggles to rotate the strike) and I can't see Rutherford being any good at ODIs unless he develops into an all-round class batsman in five+ years time.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Latham and Watling are really the last pieces of the puzzle imo. They'd be more than useful as reserves.
absolutely, Latham to cover the openers and Watling to cover 3/4.

The other guys who I'd consider as top order replacements - and really should be given a go in limited overs cricket - are Fulton and Flynn. I'd have either of them before Devcich, Munro or Rutherford.

Mike5181

International Captain
Fulton will turn 36 before the world cup next year, so I don't see much point in selecting him. Flynn's List A record is pretty ordinary as well.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Would you have blacklisted Misbah from Pakistan contention three years ago though, or is it only in a rugby-mad country where 36 really becomes as old as grit.

Mike5181

International Captain
Misbah-ul-Haq is ten times more talented than Fulton, and had world class records in both first-class/List A.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
And Ponting and Tendulkar were much more talented than Misbah. The age players 'lose it' is far from a fixed one.