• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Including Test matches and international grounds and all that jazz Guptill averages 33.14 away from Auckland
I just did it manually and by my count Guptill averages 38.11 playing domestic first class cricket at grounds in NZ that aren't Eden Outer Oval.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Has only had 17 innings I think and he scored about 16 runs in Dunedin and Wellington from like 8 innings, it was crazy.

Rangiora h4x though.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Guptill didn't fail at test level because of bad coach instructions. He just wasn't good enough. It's rare that we see a New Zealander averaging 42 with 2,200+ runs at just 21 years of age, so Latham deserves a chance on that West Indies tour later this year if one of our openers fail. Raval should be ahead of Guptill as well if we're being honest, although Neil Broom showed us that you need to dominate FC to earn a test spot. Averaging 47 in a season isn't going to get you noticed.
Completely forgot he was only 21, always thought he was 23-34ish. **** me, he is going to be some player

Athlai

Not Terrible
oh woops I just added up all his averages at the different grounds then divided by innings.
Interesting that they work out to be the same average. I'm fairly certain that by averaging the same in Tests as he has from the smaller sample size in first class stuff that it wouldn't be going too far to say that if he had never played a Test match he'd average at least 40 away from Auckland if he had never played a Test and had only played domestic cricket.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
oh woops I just added up all his averages at the different grounds then divided by innings.
multiplied*

Not outs!

Of course the average is the same. It's just the runs that will be different as the multiplier (innings - not outs) is different.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
multiplied*

Not outs!

Of course the average is the same. It's just the runs that will be different as the multiplier (innings - not outs) is different.

I multiplied his averages by innings, and then divided by innings. It works out the same, but yeah the runs is not the same thing as average x innings.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't figured out how to do it on stats guru, but I'd wager that although Wagner's got some top 5 players out, they've generally scored plenty of runs against him first anyway so I doubt his average against good players is all that crash hot. And he's generally released all the pressure with boundary balls too.
The vault actually has all 18 Tests since Wagner debuted, atm.

vs. top five bats

Wagner

27/1052
Ave: 39.0
ER: 3.1

Boult

35/1175
Ave. 33.6
ER: 2.8

Southee

32/881
Ave: 27.5
ER: 2.6

Bracewell

13/845
Ave: 65.0
ER: 3.7

Anderson

9/137
Ave: 15.2
ER: 2.0

Williamson

10/544
Ave. 54.4
ER: 3.3

Sodhi

3/404
Ave: 134.7
ER: 3.8

Flem274*

123/5
haven't you watched these last 3 matches? Hesson thinks Guptill is an accumulator now. Lolololol.

Rutherford's spot may well open up at the same stage as Fulton retires. One of those spots clearly goes to Latham. I suppose I wouldn't mind Guptill taking the other if there's noone else, and we probably would need a second slip to replace Fulton too.
I admire what Hesson is trying to do (encourage Guptill to take on the accumulator role and learn new skills) but he's at an age now where he will be entering his prime and he needs to make the most of it, which means becoming the bully we all know he can be and he can work on a few things on the side as he goes. Right now he needs to play in the way that makes him most effective and that's the same method that brought him an average over 100 in first class this season. I don't know how much you have watched but I've seen a bit and he brought all his shots back. Yes it's a lower level but he was bullying them. Anything pitched up in the zone went to the boundary and short stuff got the pull. In tests he just prods on the front foot and either blocks or drives straight. They're literally his only shots along with putting away filth on the pads. Quit that stone walling rubbish and smoke 'em.
Guptill didn't fail at test level because of bad coach instructions. He just wasn't good enough. It's rare that we see a New Zealander averaging 42 with 2,200+ runs at just 21 years of age, so Latham deserves a chance on that West Indies tour later this year if one of our openers fail. Raval should be ahead of Guptill as well if we're being honest, although Neil Broom showed us that you need to dominate FC to earn a test spot. Averaging 47 in a season isn't going to get you noticed.
You're quite right, Guptill failed through poor performance. He was selected on talent and it became pretty clear he had no idea how to build an innings, and started trying to be a stodge and remove shots from his arsenal and what not. He kept failing, lost confidence which resulted in his technique falling apart further, and then he was rightly dropped.

I'm not saying pick him tomorrow, I'm saying don't give up on him. He's scoring the runs, and Latham aside no one has a claim like he does. Raval started the season well and I rate him but he couldn't keep up with Guptill, Latham or Papps, and he got to bat on the same pitches in the same situations as Guppy did.

Latham is starting to convince me now through weight of runs. If we needed a new opener for the first test then I wouldn't mind either of Latham or Guptill, and I'd probably pick based on who their partner was to keep the left-right combo.

Howsie

International Captain
maca making excuses for bennett's pace already.

he's just a heavy ball rather than 140+ bowler atm and cricketers in the middle suck at judging pace. thats why we have terms like "heavy ball" and "sneaky quick" in the first place. he and mitch both just looked quick to the naked eye.
I'm pretty sure I saw him hit 145 a couple of times during his first spell - which was excellent by the way. Certainly had some decent heat behind him that's for sure. Just a shame the rest of the bowling attack decided to bowl like busted asses. That and Brendon looking out for his older brother yet again. Didn't bowl till almost the 30th over and didn't bowl at all during the PP or death (and considering he's a half decent 20/20 bowler you would think that would be the best time to bowl him).

Edit: With athlai btw on Raval, he's a scrub.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I already called Phlegm out on the Bennett pace thing, he was going by HRV cup speed gun readings and has acknowledged he was off.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm pretty sure I saw him hit 145 a couple of times during his first spell - which was excellent by the way. Certainly had some decent heat behind him that's for sure. Just a shame the rest of the bowling attack decided to bowl like busted asses.
Yeah he was quicker than I thought. HRV radars a bit low it seems, which was surprising because the likes of Henry and Kuggs were about where they usually are all season. They must have gained a couple of clicks in the past 12 months.

I like the bounce he gets more than anything. Probably the most awkward bounce in the Shield.